April 17, 2014

EXCLUSIVE: Megan Mullally Says 'Karen: The Musical' On Hold

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 14th 2010 1:00PM
Megan MullallyFans of Megan Mullally and her boozy 'Will & Grace' alter-ego better pour themselves a big Karen Walker-sized glass of vodka before reading this.

In an exclusive interview with AOL TV, Mullally broke the news that her much talked about 'Karen: The Musical' is on hold ... indefinitely. "We had written permission to do the show, and that permission has now been called into question by some powers that be," Mullally explained. "So we may not be able to do it, because we may not have the rights ... which is really sad."

In the midst of a very busy day -- in Oklahoma City, picking up her mom to take her to the eye doctor -- Mullally even took the time to call back to discuss it in more detail, realizing that it's a "sensitive topic." We've held off reporting it so she could let her producing partner and costar in the project, Broadway legend Leslie Jordan (a.k.a. 'W&G''s Beverly Leslie), know. Mullally explained: "I haven't talked to anyone in the press yet because it just happened."

Here are all the details, in Mullally's words:
"It's an idea that I had that I think is a great idea ... and it's been received extremely enthusiastically by everybody that I've mentioned it to. I went to the necessary parties and asked them if I could have the rights, and they said that I could. And then I instantly got great people on board. For business reasons, that have to do with the brand and making sure that nothing affects their brand, there's been a decision that it has to all go on hold for now.

"I understand that and there's nothing that happened. There was no kind of misunderstanding or anything. It's just that, at a certain point, people thought it would be fine. And now, in terms of the business landscape, things have changed in a way that they feel like maybe we should put that on hold. Maybe down the road, it'll all be back on. I think it's something that fans were really looking forward to -- and it was something that I was looking forward to -- but I also understand business.

"I have a great relationship with all things 'Will & Grace.' I think there's a slight wait-and-see ... so we'll hold out hope. It is a character that me and a lot of other people hold dear, so we'll try to get her out there singing and dancing. We'll do something else if we can't."

Something else, huh? Personally, I vote for 'Megan: The Musical'!

"Oh yes! That one is much juicier than the 'Karen' musical," Mullally joked, by this time actually sitting in the eye doctor's office having what she told him was a "Hollywood moment" on the phone with me. "It's very cutting edge, yes. [Laughs] A lot of action."

Would you go see 'Karen: The Musical'? Sad that it's on hold?
Sound off in the comments.

MICHAEL

I would be there!!! Karen Walker was the "main" character in Will & Grace as far a s I am concerned! I hope is happens!

June 11 2013 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KrbbyBrink87

I would PAY out of my NOSE to see "Karen: The Musical" OR "Megan: The Musical"!!!!!!! I simply adore and admire Megan so much!!!! I'm dying to see her live in concert! She's INCREDIBLE and this SHOULD happen!!!

January 28 2011 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marko

i want to see "karen:the musical" i love megan ,and i love karen!!!

October 16 2010 at 4:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

jiuzhe21 - you are a real piece of garbage!! Seems like every article I read on aol has your self-promoting sleezy comments. You are crafty - starting off by quoting something in the particular article and then pimping yourself. What a sad sad person you must be. Stay the HELL off these sites!!

May 16 2010 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigD

I love Karen as do all my friends. I'd go see the musical but I'd rather see Meghan get her own tv show called Karen (or Karen and Jack). That would be even better because we'd have more than one performance to look forward to! Either way it seems clear that Karen is very much alive and beloved and it just makes sense that she should continue. I wonder if NBC is thinking about a Karen spin-off as it would likely be a welcome addition to their underperforming line-up. That could be the explanation as to why they have recinded their approval of the musical. Let's hope so.

May 16 2010 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

I would travel to new york to see karen and leslie play

May 16 2010 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

It takes three tries... Denied. Denied. APPROVED!

May 16 2010 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Boo. Hiss. Whoever is standing in the way of this project is a total chode.

May 16 2010 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

Would gladly watch "Karen" or "Megan" or "Rosemary: the Musical"...whatever she wants to do.

May 16 2010 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frankie

Karen the musical sounds great but, as is true with all theatre, would have a limited audience. Let's face it, Karen was the most beloved character on W&G so please Megan, consider a spin-off and just call it Karen. Sing, dance, juggle, be dramatic...we all have many different layers, so could Karen. Whatever you do, be it Karen the musical, or replace Oprah, you will be well received, Everybody loves Megan Mullally.

May 16 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply