November 23, 2014

Jimmy Smits, Kathy Bates Series Picked Up by NBC; 'Mercy,' 'Trauma' Canceled

by Andrew Scott, posted May 14th 2010 3:25PM
Jimmy SmitsOn the heels of 'Law & Order's' cancellation, NBC announced today that it has picked up four new series for next season -- three dramas and one comedy -- and will be parting ways with newbie medical dramas 'Mercy' and 'Trauma.'

Among the dramas headed to the Peacock net is 'The Cape,' starring 'ER's' David Lyons as a policeman who is framed for a series of murders and is forced to go into hiding. Determined to be reunited with his family, Lyons' character becomes his son's favorite superhero ('The Cape') and quickly "takes the law into his own hands."

Meanwhile, 'West Wing' alum Jimmy Smits will return to the network in the drama 'Outlaw,' about a Supreme Court justice who quits his job to go work for the little man.

Rounding out the list of dramas is the latest legal series from David E. Kelley ('The Practice'; 'Ally McBeal'), 'Harry's Law.' The show stars Oscar-winning actress Kathy Bates as a lawyer who unexpectedly starts her own firm with characters portrayed by Brittany Snow and Ben Chaplin.

On the cancellation front, NBC will part ways with both 'Mercy' and 'Trauma' after one season, according to the Ausiello Files. 'Trauma' was previously canceled last October, before NBC quickly had a change of heart. Now, though, its cancellation appears to be official.

As for comedies, NBC has picked up 'Friends With Benefits,' from 'Arrested Development's' Brian Grazer. 'Party Down's' Ryan Hansen and 'One Tree Hill's' Danneel Harris star in the laffer, about two friends who hook up as they await the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Right.

As we previously reported, 'Chuck' has officially been renewed for a fourth season.

chooter

I agree with most of the posts about Mercy and Trauma. Both good shows worth watching. They can keep cancelling good shows and adding more idiot promoting dribble if they want to, but I for one won't be watching it. You would think that advertisers would start getting wise that the demographic that spends the most money isn't buying it.

July 06 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chooter

Why would you sign up a lame show like "The Cape". I started to watch that last season waiting for "The Event" (good show by the way) to return. Couldn't handle it. If the 8-10 demographic is what you are after maybe so. If you want anyone with a brain who actually buys advertised products, not so much.

July 06 2011 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charu Tuladhar

Mercy is such a good show. I can't believe NBC would cancel a show like that.

May 29 2010 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pabear61

I hate NBC, they are notorious for starting a show then axing it after the first season. I loved MERCY. I'm to the point that I don't like to get involved in a new series because of this. Stop doing this to loyal fans!!!!!!!!

May 21 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

They tried to pull this same garbage last season and suddenly fans went crazy and before ou knew it Trauma was back on. Let's try it again to see if we can persuade the networks to keep some of our favorite shows! As far as I'm concerned they need to cancel a few of those so called reality shows!

May 21 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

I loved Mercy and they cancelled just when they left it hanging with a good ending...totally sucks...but thats the networks for you...they rather leave this reality tv stuff on.....I hope another network picks up Mercy...I thought it was a good show...the characters were good and the story line was exciting.

May 21 2010 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Mack

Again, it's done to me; I just love(d) Mercy. Maybe TNT or USA will be smart enough to pick it up. No, another season of vampires and criminals

May 19 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I am so with you on this. who the hell watches chuck. They were cancelled and the viewers bitched and they kept it on for 2 more years! I really hope usa picks it up. It was fresh, funny and smart. I think they think we are all idiots!

May 19 2010 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

All I keep seeing is how NBC says Mercy is not performing, but every artticle about it being cancelled has nothing but support for the show. Obviously there are a lot of us watching and loving the show. The executives over there just do not know how to run a network - ask Jay Leno!

May 18 2010 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FEDUP

Who's running the ZOO (NBC) always dumping the
good shows. Guess they will be in last place forever.

May 18 2010 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply