October 31, 2014

NBC's 'Rockford Files' Remake Might Be DOA

by Bob Sassone, posted May 14th 2010 10:40AM
The Rockford FilesOur friends over at the New York Magazine blog Vulture are reporting that NBC might just give up on the 'Rockford Files' remake that has been getting a lot of press lately. The reason? It's stupid to try to replace James Garner with Dermot Mulroney.

OK, that's not really the reason. Insiders tell Vulture that the pilot episode that was delivered to NBC executives had "lackluster" direction, looked like it was shot in the 1970s and was more of a direct remake than a new, modern take on the private investigator show -- it was reportedly just bad all around. Producer Dawn Parouse spearheaded a new edit of the pilot that the network liked a lot more, but it might be too little too late.

So could it be completely dead at this point, especially since NBC has already picked up several new dramas for the fall? Well, yes. And also no!

NBC head Angela Bromstad has put a lot of time into getting the remake done, so we might still hear the words "NBC has picked up the remake of 'The Rockford Files'" when NBC has its upfront presentation on Monday. But it's looking less likely that will happen than it looked a couple of months ago.

Dermot Mulroney'The Rockford Files' was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. I even looked for the same car that Jim Rockford drove when I bought my first car. So when I heard they were making a remake, my first reaction was a cringe. When I heard Mulroney was going to star in it, I didn't cringe, but I certainly scratched my head. Mulroney in James Garner's role? I just didn't see it.

I liked the casting of Beau Bridges as his dad though, and as someone who loves the private eye genre, I look for any reason to have shows like that on. But why a remake of a beloved show? Why not cast Mulroney in a new private eye drama?

Well, probably because 'The Rockford Files' is a beloved show and carries with it a fan base and name recognition. But like a lot of remakes of old shows, I wonder what audience they're going for. Older TV viewers who remember the original and loved it will be irritated by a remake, and younger viewers who really don't have any connection to the original won't care anyway. Remakes of TV shows are always a dice roll.

This show could still be given the green light. A lot of people don't know that two of the producers on the show are Steve Carell and David Shore, producer on 'House.' Maybe having those two names attached to it will make NBC want to work things out. We'll probably have a better idea of what's going on with it next week.

But it could be another 'Marlowe.'

Are you looking forward to a remake of 'The Rockford Files'?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Bill and Jan!

Nobody can be Jim Rockford except James Garner. BUT Jennifer Garner could be Jen Rockford.

June 10 2011 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeanaz8

I would rather watch the DVD's of the original show with James Garner than a bad remake with someone that to me does not have the carisma of James Garner. The only thing worse would be to try and remake Maverick. Next they will be considering remaking Magnum as if anyone else but Tom Selleck could be in that role. Isn't there any originality in Hollywood any more?

May 15 2010 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE ZVIRBLIS

I'D RATHER SEE MAVERICK.

May 15 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Hollyweird has so few original ideas. Their train of thought seems to be " Well, since this was good, let's add/change this and it'll be better " . The original Rockford Files show worked. Any change will simply screw it up. But then, it's not about good or bad anymore. It's all about money. Forget quality, let's just go for the dollar.

May 15 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tena

No one can be Rockford except for James Garner. That was a great show, and the original characters were the best. I hope the remake is dead.

Don't writers, producers, directors have original ideas any longer? Why do they want to do remakes? Come up with something new!

May 15 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jami

Ug! NO MORE REMAKES, HOLLYWOOD!

The original Rockford Files is still as fresh and compelling today as it was in the 70s. It doesn't need a remake.

Please either come up with something new or just do another Law & Order spin-off. But NO MORE REMAKES!

May 15 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

A veryyyy iffy situation. Sounds like all of us are in a 'time freeze' & that no actor exists that could play the part; I agree, to an extent. TV has changed dramatically with a ton of junk shows & the exec's want to cancel only the good shows; i.e., Medium, not only different but totally interesting AND possible.
I'm not up to date with today's actors, but some faces come to mind that just might be able to pull it off, but definitely not the actor that's been chosen. Hey, I agree, Luke Wilson would be very good in the part.
Anyhow producer's, get your mojo together before you decide to, once again, disappoint all of us with another junk show.

May 15 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Of course Dermot Mulroney could have done it. That isn't the question. The question is WHY do a remake. Is there so little talent in Hollywood that they can't come up with something new?

May 15 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom's comment
Ben

Hollywood is very original they come up with something new every year. Remakes are & miss some good some bad. I have an open mind about remakes.

May 15 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

For the love of everything holy, NO MORE REMAKES!! I'm tired of hearing about things being remade. What happened to being (dare I say it?) ORIGINAL??

May 15 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jackie's comment
Ben

Your dead wrong Jackie remakes are hit & miss some good some bad. Hollywood is very original so your wrong that there not original.

May 15 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DARREN

MAN I LOVED THIS SHOW GROWING UP! I USED TO WATCH IT ALL THE TIME.. IM 44 NOW..AND ALL THESE REMAKES OF THE ORIGINAL CLASSIC SHOWS IM NOT FOR...ONLY JIM ROCKFORD (JAMES GARNER) CAN DO THIS SHOW! HE WAS THE MAN AND STILL IS...I DO HOPE THEY DONT REMAKE A CLASSIC..LET THIS GO IN PIECE...U ALL HAVE REMADE ENUF CLASSIC SHOWS WHICH HAVE BOMBED CAUSE THE YOUNGER CLASS HAS NO IDEA OF WHAT THERE WATCHING..JUST MY VIEWPOINT..
FANS OF THE SHOW FROM FT LAUDERDALE FL