August 27, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Staircase Implementation' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 17th 2010 10:32PM
big bang theory(S03E22) We're getting pretty late in the season, so this flashback episode is an odd choice. It seems like a filler episode stuck in the middle of the season on either end of a hiatus -- not one of the last episodes.

The main reason it was so jarring is because it was so innocuous. Leonard and Penny have gone from dueling parents sharing custody of Sheldon, to two people forced into awkward encounters by virtue of the fact that they live in the same building, to giving each other mani-pedis.

I guess I shouldn't find this too shocking, since the revelation of Wolowitz and Bernadette's breakup was nothing more than an aside in last weeks' episode. That should lay the groundwork of, "Oh, yeah. Penny and Leonard are totally cool with each other now," even though it doesn't actually make any sense.

If you can get past the clunkiness of the whole plot, the episode is pretty cute. It's interesting to see that back in 2003, the dude perm was apparently very much alive. That doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know? I wasn't hanging out in California with a bunch of scientists. It is very funny, not to mention very fitting, that Sheldon looks exactly the same.

It's also nice to see the origins of several things that have been talked about throughout the run of the series, such as the origin of the couch and Sheldon's seat, the roommate agreement and especially the broken elevator. I've been kind of annoyed by the gimmick of it being broken this entire time, but I do appreciate that a rocket fuel explosion is what brought it down.

It was also nice in that it underscored one of the main reasons anyone puts up with Sheldon: he's loyal, despite himself. I'm sure he rationalized it in a way that benefited him (after all, it can't be easy to find a roommate who passes all three barriers), but the fact that he didn't turn Leonard in was pretty cool.

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Sheldon: "Roommates agree that Friday nights shall be reserved for watching Joss Whedon's brilliant new series, 'Firefly.'
Leonard: "Does that really need to be in the agreement?"
Sheldon: "Might as well settle it now; it's going to be on for years."

Leonard: "What am I doing in your spam folder?"
Sheldon: "I put you there after you forwarded me a picture of a cat playing the piano entitled, 'this is funny.'"

"I assure you, you'll be sorry you wasted your money on an iPod when Microsoft comes out with theirs." - Sheldon
Leonard: "Is that your dad?"
Wolowitz: "If she grows any more hair on her face, yes."

Sheldon: "That's not an apology; that's simply an acknowledgment that I was right."
Leonard: "Okay, I'm sorry."
Sheldon: "There you go."

gman

I love the argument between Sheldon and Leonard over the thermostat because my old roommate would have the same argument because I liked it cold and they liked it warm. Now I’m married and have the same argument only I can’t move out. Somehow we manage. Blockbuster was my first choice in the past and I used them for many years until I started using Netflix but when they raised my price I started using Blockbuster when I got my free mail membership and now I’m all for Blockbuster. I got it free with my new DISH Network employee account but it’s free for anyone. http://bit.ly/jYtohY

September 15 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
max

This episode proves that Sheldon has Aspergers Syndrome.

'Those afflicted with this syndrome have difficulty understanding what those around them think and feel. As a result of this, they often behave inappropriately in social situations, or do things that may appear to be unkind or callous.
Many Asperger sufferers have a difficult time in planning and coping with change despite average or above-average intelligence. This manifests itself as a notable lack of 'common sense'. There are many nuances to how this disorder affects the lives of those afflicted as well as the lives of their families.
Individuals with AS can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild to severe. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest.
They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see.'

May 18 2010 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to max's comment
Jim

And your point is?

May 18 2010 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Seriously no mention of the time travel clause in the roommate agreement? Best moment in the entire episode!!

May 18 2010 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ben's comment
Sigma982

Agreed!

May 18 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Anyone who didn't like this episode or has any complaints about it whatsoever is a dark-hearted lonely pathetic loser. Seriously, one of the funniest episodes of the show to date. No one cares about the "relationships". That's not why *anyone* watches this show, it's for the guys (Leonard and Sheldon, mostly Sheldon). Penny wasn't even originally supposed to be a character in the show when it was conceived.

May 18 2010 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ralph

"Dont make me turn over the flag, because you KNOW I'll do it!!!"

May 17 2010 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ralph's comment
Jim

My question is: Why would Sheldon be represented by a flag that is essentially the Lowenbrau logo?

May 18 2010 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

Fun episode. All geeks would like to be in a nail it
moment with Penny. So glad she passed her test at the very conclusion.
Love Firefly but how poopy of writers to dump on Babylon 5. Come on that was/is a good series.
"Hippy!" retort about regularity was clever and unexpected.
Comedy is such a great way to start off a week before
all the mayhem sets in.