April 19, 2014

'Law & Order' Not Quite Dead Yet?

by Scott Harris, posted May 18th 2010 11:21AM
Never say die.

That's Dick Wolf's motto, anyway. Which some might find a bit ironic considering how many countless fictional victims have been killed by the 'Law & Order' creator over the past 20 years.

But according to The New York Times, Wolf isn't quite ready to admit case closed on 'Law & Order' just yet, as he is working behind the scenes to bring the series back for a record-breaking 21st season.

His efforts are necessary, of course, because NBC announced last week that they were canceling the show, in part to make room for the latest 'Law & Order' franchise spin-off, 'Law & Order: Los Angeles.' But while Wolf is no doubt pleased as punch to add a fifth 'Law & Order' series to his resume (following ongoing efforts 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' and 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent' as well as the one-and-done dud 'Law & Order: Trial By Jury'), he's still hoping to break the record for longest running television drama, which 'Law & Order' currently shares with the classic western 'Gunsmoke.'

Just how Wolf intends to bring about 'Law & Order's' return is still unclear, but it wouldn't be the first time that unusual steps have led to the return of a canceled show. 'Friday Night Lights,' for instance, survived under a special deal in which the show debuted new episodes on DirecTV before being rerun on NBC, while 'Scrubs' switched networks to ABC for two final seasons. Considering NBC and its affiliated cable holdings will still be airing three other 'Law & Order' franchises, it seems unlikely that the original would be allowed to move to a competitor, but it remains possible that, like 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent,' the series may gain a second life on USA Network.

Should these last minute efforts fail, it appears Wolf and NBC may end up at least serving up one last resounding chung-chung to its loyal audience in the form of a new, two-hour farewell movie that could reunite some of the show's legendarily huge cast. But for now, at least, some hope lives on as Wolf exhausts every avenue of appeal.

Whether or not NBC will suspend its sentence or act as judge, jury and executioner for 'Law & Order' remains to be seen.

G

LENNY BRISCOE RULES!!!

May 26 2010 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G

NBC and TNT suck! Law&Orde is one of the best shows on TV. Hey TNT why don't you drop the crap you keep coming out with like The Closer, Leverage and all the other so called hit shows and continue to run a great show. Nbc lets face it you are falling appart with all the New garbage that you're spewing on the air. Law&Order has been one of the highest ranked shows over the past 19 years why give up on a great show. Law&Order SVU is a great show but it spends more time on the cops than the law. LAW&ORDER IS THE BEST!!!

May 26 2010 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marianne

I say good riddance. Stopped watching quite a while ago, couldn't take the bias. It always amazed me how they had to put in some lefty political statement on a cop show. All these shows that insert a politcal message will manage to insult at least a percentage of the audience. Granted, I hung around for a while, tried not to let that spoil the the rest of the show, but alas I found I had scruples. Some advice to the networks, keep politics out of tv, we turn to you to get away from it, after all, it has seeped into just about everything else.

May 20 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marcia

Yes, indeed, move L & O to TNT on Monday nights with The Closer. This would be perfect. My husband have watched Law & Order since the beginning.

May 19 2010 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth Hewson

to Susan, lately (I'm an insomniac) TNT has been running the early seasons, most if which I had never seen before. Paul Sorvino, George Dzunda, Michael Moriarty (who I think was written off after a particular plot line really disturbed his contract). (The all male cast days!) It was nice to Benjamin Bratt this past season...A total Surprise...oh I think they had Richard Brooks, (the first Asst. DA) on a later episode, and he was working for a private Law firm. (Doesn't mean he couldn't be on another cameo!) I really miss the Ed Green character...but they played out his departure very sweetly...

May 19 2010 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maisie

L&O remains the best drama on TV. Good acting, great writing ....no wonder it's lasted all this time. Get rid of some of these stupid REALITY shows, NBC! Oh right, you also got rid of Conan. Who is in charge there? Let's get rid of him!

May 19 2010 at 8:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth Hewson

I love Law & Order, and I came to the show, after it had been on the air for at least 5 or more years. It took me a while to get warmed up to L & O/SVU, but I like that also, though the original? Can't be beat! Besides all the great NY actors and crew members it keep employed? (Los Angeles, I don't know). I still watch the reruns of the previous seasons, sadly my favorite match was probably Jerry Ohrbach & (the actor who played Det. Green). The chemistry was amazing. I'd love to see Shabala Green (Ms. Green) return as well, and I'd love it if they could persuade S. Epatha Merkerson renew her contract...I agree I liked Jack McCoy in the courtroom, (and I think Steven Hill, who played "DA Adam Schiff is pushing 80"...though, look at Betty White? Anyway, PLEASE SAVE L @ O...it's so much better than a lot of the crap out there!
Sure, it's changed, but how could it not?

May 19 2010 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brink

Let it die already.

May 19 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Yeah, just what we need a LA version of Law and Order. I love NCIS but hate the LA version which is just another bunch of surfers acting like beach bums. Too bad there is no class or good acting involved. As soon as NCIS is over I switch channels...why isn't NCIS LA in San Diego to make it more real instead of sureal?

May 19 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaureenAW

I love L/O because they address recent events that affect us! Keep the show. There is a reason why it's the longest running show!!!

May 19 2010 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply