September 1, 2014

'American Idol' - 'One of Three Goes Home' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 20th 2010 1:15AM
American Idol: Casey James in Texas
More than 47 millions votes were logged Wednesday night for the three remaining contestants on 'American Idol.' Did your two favorites survive? Will they be back next week for the finale at the Nokia Theater L.A. Live?

We have an hour's worth of show tonight and, of course, most of it's filled up with everything BUT the results, which happened in the last few minutes. Let's take a look at what happened prior to the results.

So the three remaining contestants are Crystal Bowersox, Casey James and Lee DeWyze. What I love is that they're all quite different artists. While Casey and Crystal sort of fit neatly into a particular type of music (guitar rocker, folksy singer-songwriter), Lee is a little different. I don't really think of him in one specific genre, but would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Early in the competition, my 'Idol' blogging partner Kona Gallagher used to say she'd totally forget about Lee before and after his performance, and I agree with that. He emerged out of obscurity to be one of the last three standing, but even now, he doesn't stand out to me unless he's onstage doing a knock-out performance.

I have to wonder, though, if the judges and producers have been sort of pushing Lee on us. Last night's performance of 'Hallelujah' was good, but I'm not sure it deserved the wild accolades it received. I just went back to read Kona's review of last night's performance show, and agree with her that the arrangement was overdone with the choir and all. Frankly, I think it would have been better with just Lee and his guitar. It was interesting that he said something about the challenge of being true to yourself while still doing what's best for the show. So you have to think he feels that struggle, too.

Tonight's show featured the three Idols returning to their hometowns with crowds of people, visits to hospitals and schools, parades, days named in their honor, family barbecues, and everything else. Lee even got to throw out the first pitch at a Chicago Cubs game, which must have been a blast.

We also had a performance from Justin Bieber (I don't really get the furor over him, but whatever) and Travis Garland, who was discovered by Perez Hilton via a YouTube video. There was dead silence in the audience when Hilton told Ryan Seacrest he thought Travis was better than Justin Timberlake. I have to agree with ... the audience. The kid was alright, but he's no Justin Timberlake.

Finally, we get to the results. The two Idols competing for the whole shebang next week are Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze. Casey James is going home. His final performance made me smile, because he went into the audience and picked up a little girl who, I'm guessing, is related to him since I think she was sitting with his family. It was a really sweet performance of the song he sang last night -- John Mayer's 'Daughters' (and I liked it better than last night's, too).

So what do you think? Are you happy that Crystal and Lee are in the finals? Or would you rather have had Casey remain and Crystal or Lee go home?

Did the right person go home on 'American Idol' this week?
Yes! Thank God Casey finally went home! 758 (70.9%)
No! Casey should have been in the final two. 244 (22.8%)
I'm just not sure. I'll tell you my thoughts in the comments.67 (6.3%)

sylvie

was'nt that something? Lambert and Adam. That was really an upset for me. I personally believe Adam should have won. Hopefully, like you said, hope history does not repeat it self. I think Crystal will go far even if she does not win, but I hope she does.

May 20 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Both of them never reached the bottom two so clearly they both deserve to be in the final two. It's just bonus that they were also my two favorites from the beginning!

With that said, this final two reminds me a bit of how the final two last season shaped up. Crystal (Adam Lambert) was the early fan-favorite and was consistently fantastic throughout the competition, then but Lee (Kris Allen) came from seemingly out of nowhere and grew week after week after week and has some serious momentum leading into the final episode.

Interesting, right?

May 20 2010 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sylvie

It was time for Casey to go. I could not believe the show that was given to him by his home town. All that hype, knowing the boy can't sing. Crystal sings from the heart and I think she will win. However, Lee is also very good. So, we will see.

May 20 2010 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I like them both so it is a hard choice. However, I am pulling for Lee. And, as for him being forgettable, that is so wrong. I thought Casey was good, too, but do feel he was the one to get eliminated.

May 20 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

It's never been this close for me between the final 2. I think Crystal is one of the most genuine artists the show has ever seen, and knows who she is and what she wants to do and isn't willing to give up her vision for the A.I. Machine, which I absolutely respect and admire. She's been my Top pick since Top 24, and has never slipped to my #2 spot.

However, Lee has truly grown over the course of this season, starting out uncomfortable with himself on stage, to really finding the artist inside of him, to now being about to show his passion for music within every performance, so how can you not root for that?

For me, he's only 5 100ths of a point shy of Crystal's top spot (yeah, I'm that much of a dork. I like numbers and have been keeping score all season).

So for me this is the first time in 9 seasons that I'm going into the Finale without my mind made up on who I want to win. I'm hoping for a good one.

May 20 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

While Lee is very likable, and can be molded for marketability, Crystal has been unfalteringly remarkable every single week. Her delivery is constantly unique and honest, and her talent has stood out from the beginning as something special.

May 20 2010 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

Just based on Tuesday's performance it was time for Casey to go. Both of his performances were just bad and he never achieved what Kara and Randy hoped he would with "Daughters." I'm not a big fan of Lee but I thought his performance of the much overused "Hallelujah" was his best to date. Still, to me Lee is a very forgettable, unemotional performer.

May 20 2010 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony Molee

Overall this has been very weak season however at least they got the final two right. Must EVERY TV Land Recap of a result night point out that the show would be a few minutes long if they just read the results. Getting a little cliched to point it out in every post. We get it. Now you should get over it.

May 20 2010 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply