September 2, 2014

'Parks and Recreation' - 'Freddy Spaghetti' Recap (Season Finale)

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 20th 2010 11:35PM
parks and recreation season finale(S02E23) I loved the symmetry of this ending. Last season, we ended with Mark and Leslie sitting on a chair looking over the pit. Leslie finally realized that she can move on from Mark and the show realized that it could actually make her a real character. This year, we're ending an already phenomenal season on a high note, and we're all saying goodbye to Mark, instead of just Leslie.

In Mark's place, we have both Rob Lowe and Adam Scott, potential love interests for both Anne and Leslie. I'm not sure how I feel about Lowe's character -- they haven't given him much depth yet, but I'm loving Scott. His bruised idealism is a nice match for Leslie's blind idealism.

This was also a big, if not predictable, episode for April and Andy. After teasing us for the entire season, Andy finally came out and told April that he liked her in a romantic way. April told Andy she felt the same way. It was so easy, in fact, that it kind of makes you wonder why it took the better part of 23 episodes to get here. Of course, the happiness was not meant to last, as Anne inevitably came and dropped her "lonely and insecure" bomb all over the place. Yes, Anne, we get that you're a nurse and you like to take care of people -- settle down. You don't like Andy.

As a result, the April/Andy pairing is no closer to happening now than it was back in October. The same, however, cannot be said for Ron and Wendy, Tom's ex-wife with whom he's still desperately in love, despite now having a hot girlfriend. I'd been wondering what happened between those two, since a possible relationship has been hinted at, but not addressed in the last several episodes. It's not really addressed in this episode, but for the bombshell at the end that Ron likes to have sex and then dress up like Tiger Woods. At least it's after, and not during, I guess. Let's be thankful for small favors.

What are your thoughts on the season finale? Do you like Ron and Wendy together? What about April and Andy? Should Leslie just run for mayor?

jayr2345

Great season finale, so funny and stuff actually happenned as oppossed to that other mockumentary show (cough office cough). I was worried for Tom, when he remarked that Ron dresses like Tiger after sex, because the look that his new girlfriend gave Ron at the park could have either been disgust or attraction. Then Wendy showed up, and I still felt sad for him, but for a different reason. I think Parks & Rec has officially stolen the crown from the office.

May 21 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

Tom's news girlfriend, Lucy is a hottie. I hope she sticks around.

May 21 2010 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BetaDave

Fun episode. Rob Lowe was hysterical and Ron Swanson is the perfect civil servant. Too bad Parks and Rec has been cancelled. It's been cancelled, right?

May 21 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to BetaDave's comment
chalmers

Tom's recognition that Ron always wears the Tiger Woods outfit the morning after sex goes back to the "Ron and Tammy" episode with Megan Mullaly.

The wacky part is that the episode was made before Tiger's scandal, so it only referred to how on those mornings Ron felt dominant the way Tiger Woods does in the final round of a tournament. It originally had nothing to do with Tiger's sex life.

Of course, that's the joke now, and in another post-scandal episode, Tom expressed his admiration for Tiger's off-course activities.

The show hit such a hot streak this year, that even outside events like that added to the humor. Another example of great luck was when Leslie spoke to the camera and warned Jennifer Aniston to stay away from John Mayer a few days after his controversial comments hit the news. Again, the episode had been shot weeks before.

May 21 2010 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StevieG21

Rob Lowe's character really cracked me up this episode. His bizarre behavior with the stripping down and jogging and wanting massages just tickled me. My only problem is why spend the money on Rob Lowe? It has been a small part so far and a cheaper, less well known actor could have played the part.

I love seeing Ron eFFing Swanson still giddy and smirking with joy over the government shut-down and cuts. I don't think that I'm man enough to eat a turkey leg wrapped in bacon.

May 21 2010 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to StevieG21's comment
amber

seeing ron swanson trip and fall on his ass was the highlight of the episode. nick offerman is so hot!

May 21 2010 at 7:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply