September 16, 2014

'Bones' - 'The Beginning in the End' Recap (Season Finale)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 21st 2010 12:05AM
Bones(S05E22) Everything is changing.

Take a few deep breaths. There. I'll reassure you right now: All series regulars are returning next season. Better?

But one thing is certain: Everything is indeed changing. And based on how the season finale ended, it looks like when the characters reunite and resume their investigations next season, they may not be the exact same characters.

A lot can happen in a year, no?

Forget the case of the week and Angela's father story line, what we really need to discuss is what may happen to the team next season now that Angela, Hodgins, Booth and Brennan will not be at the Jeffersonian for 12 months!

As soon as I heard Booth and Brennan first confirm that they would be gone for 12 months and then heard Hodgins propose to Angela that they too go away, I expected a time jump to happen between this episode and next season's premiere. Since I'm always on the lookout for spoilers, I've found the confirmation that it would indeed be the case.

Time jump or no time jump, it's clear that the show's Powers That Be want to shake things up. For sure, all characters will have changed in these12 months. Here are a few possibilities I think could happen:

- Cam moved in with her gynecologist boyfriend.
- Cam, Sweets, Caroline and various squints of the weeks had to work with a new FBI agent to solve crimes. Maybe Agent Perotta?
- Booth didn't listen to Brennan's request and he played hero. Maybe he got a bit injured, but nothing that will prevent him from returning to the FBI.
- Brennan met a lovely male anthropologist that rocked her socks off and brings him back to the Jeffersonian.
- Angela and Hodgins now have a new born baby.
- Daisy returns, ready to resume her relationship with Sweets but he moved on.

I'm excited at this possibility of change. Yes, I love the series as it is right now. However, having the team broken up and experiencing different things will offer new dynamics and different story lines next season. After all, the series will enter its sixth season, so it's time to shake things up a bit character-wise.

Overall, this was not my favorite season finale. The case of the week was interesting but not that engaging. Since we didn't hear anything in the past weeks about cast members not returning next season, the Hodgins, Angela, Booth and Brennan going away twist wasn't that dramatic as it was a given they would all be back eventually. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the finale and the possibilities that it is offering.

Are you fine with the team being broken up for a year? How do you think each character will be changed once the year is up and they reunite? Where do you think each will be? Share your theories and two cents below.

Now we have to wait about four months before knowing for sure that our team will be intact and to see how the time away will have changed them.

[Follow @icarreau on Twitter]

B&Blover

First I would just like to say that I totally agree with some people and some I just want to hit. I mean if bones comes back with a love intrest I don't know what I'd do. I would probably cry for days. It's just rediculous. They have come so far. And what the heck is up with the no hug or kiss. I was totally astonished when they didn't hug. It's not like they haven't hugged eachother before because they have. A lot.

About the spoilers. It's just rediculous that people put them up. sometimes they even give more away than the end of an episode. Some people might have thought about a baby or the time jump but others might not have. Now they will b focusing on that instead of the end of the episode like the writers intended it to b. even though right now I'm not that big of a fan of them right now because bones and booth STILL r not together!!!!!!!

July 16 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Collette

Directors,those that are in charge do not usually change the toner in the copier. Instead, they point out the inky streak left after YOU cleaned up! These people are contact employees; they work directly under Bones.
The Interns would cover the lab with the help of the blonde agent (Hero in the Hold) for the year. Clarke has his PHd already so is qualified; it is just that Bones is so good that everyone wishes to study under her.

Sweets should date the FBI agent two or three times.
Cam's daughter should have a episode.
Zack should(after the Gravedigger has a couple of episodes) kill her; Hodgins and Angela have been congratulated on the pending birth of their child. The team would not be able t prove it; and he would have a better ending then season 4.

May 22 2010 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gabriela

I agree with all the previous comments: the episode when they're together in B's dream proves that they're interesting as a couple AS WELL as as a couple to be - it really just does depend on the writing. Couples quarrel & bicker & break up & have make-up sex, etc. etc. Couples aren't static; it doesn't necessarily mean they'll suddenly be boring & no one will watch. Stretching this whole thing (i.e., the B&B relationship) out ad nauseam like this is incredibly frustrating, not realistic & I absolutely agree I do not want to see either of them with other partners in the next season. They've gone too far for that. And I CANNOT believe the writers had Bones leave Booth without even a hug or a kiss good-bye: hello, he's going to a war zone! Likelihood of death is pretty much 80% (you know, within the suspended disbelief of this being "real life" and he being a character who is actually going to a war zone). It really pissed me off. We're supposed to believe Bones has "come all this way" and learnt so much about how to interact with other people: the entire episode is constantly stressing that. So why let Booth lumber off to certain death without even letting their foreheads touch, lips almost touching? That's what I wanted. I mean, a HAND? It seemed cold and not in character with all the other stuff Bones had supposedly "learned."

May 22 2010 at 1:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlashBack

I know it's just me but, really, after Boreanaz has 'hung out' with the luscious SMG and the gorgeous Charisma Carpenter, I don't want him reduced to plain old Emily D.! Let's just keep the banter, wisecracks and intelligent dialogues going and find him a real woman to connect with.
Now THAT would be a change!

May 21 2010 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to FlashBack's comment
Poetic_line

Emily is gorgeous and David explodes off the screen with her more than any of his previous co-stars.

I'm ready for them to be together.

May 28 2010 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DeeDee

Bone's is one of the best TV Shows that I've watched and I've not missed an episode since it began. This finale conger's up a vast array of possibilities for the future.

This show to me has just enough of the forensics and the personal lives of the characters to be an interesting balance except for one character and that is Cam. That character is so far out of line for the theme of this story it almost smacks you in the face. For instance the rest of the crew are dressed in their blue lab coats and Cam wiggles in wearing spandex and stillettos, her arms crossed and strikes a run-way pose. Out of her mouth rolls little tid bits like "Oh the guy with one gonad has balls" or "let's wrap this case up people so I can have the week-end for Jello shots and poker", etc. Her people explain to her what's going on and she stands there looking at them like an owl in left field without a clue. How unrealistic is a character of this sort being at the head of a famous museum? I know it's just a story but to me it's irritating. Las Vegas probably wouldn't have cancelled if they would have casted her. I vote to bring back the other guy.

Wouldn't it be fun to see Zack show up on that dig? Maybe Daisy could get poison ivy and leave. Can you emagine spending a year with Daisy? Makes me nuts and I'm not even in the story.

I would love to see Max and Billy together in an episode. Maybe Bones and Angela are in trouble and they, along with Booth and Hodgins go to their rescue. Maybe a wooded area somewhere.

I would also like to see an episode where Billy Gibbons gets to play that guitar of his. When I was a kid ZZ Top was the best. Maybe Angela and Hodgins could have a party for co-workers and families at his estate and Parker's dog will dig up a bone from one of Hodgins' ancesters. After all he is the fourth Hodgins so they go back a long way.

Not to fret people, Bones and Booth will eventually get together. Writers please, No more love interests like Hacker. Bones deserves better.

May 21 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaz

I hated the finale! What the hell! I found the episode amusing, very funny, until that horrible finale. Not a kiss or at least a hug! They are not seeing each other for a year people!
If Booth or Brennan find a new love interest, I'm gonna hit somebody!

May 21 2010 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

12+ hours later and I'm trying to give this episode a chance. They've just carried this out for SO LONG & it's getting SO OLD.

I hate that writers, producers, creators, & whoever else in TV land think that putting a couple with great chemistry together as a romance story arch ends the show EVER since that Moonlighting debacle. Such black and white thinking. Love is what it's all about and it depends on the writing.

I've had problems with this show ever since that ep 'The Pain in the Heart' when Zach left.

If Hart Hansen puts these two with someone else or waits until the very end to get these two together, I'm going to be very angry at having wasted my time and I definitely won't be buying the rest of the seasons on Amazon VOD (I have this season as poor as it was).

Not having them kiss or hug in the end though was simply lame. It was so cold.

May 21 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beanspants1

I thought this finale was ok, I wish I had a job where I could take a year off and then come back without losing all my salary and benefits like they all aparently can.

May 21 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Out of the entire episode, the only enjoyment I got was Hodgins and Sweets late night activity and Cam trying to get people to concentrate on the case.

The B&B tension was stretching thin and having to watch them spend 6 episodes of the next season to get back to where they were before is not what I was looking forward to. Maybe the two of them will at least get back their spines. Booth as a simpering puppy and Bones lacking confidence in herself was getting annoying as hell.

May 21 2010 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

Although the thought never crossed my mind about any of the team not coming back after the year, I agree with Nacho. Why spoil the rest of us just because you HAVE to know what happens?

I used to read your spoiler column a long while back but decided one day to not want to be spoiled. It's just better that way, imho. Not everyone likes to know what will happen next before watching it. TVSquad has been putting spoilers up more often before the jump or making complete posts about it. Kinda sucks.

May 21 2010 at 4:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply