April 18, 2014

'Community' - 'Pascal's Triangle Revisited' Recap (Season Finale)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 21st 2010 8:45AM
'Community'(S01E25) Should have known Abed would never let 'Community' wrap a season without all the season finale dramatics that come with most television shows. As usual, he was ever so close to breaking the fourth wall in his declarations about the plot developments in the episode. But that self-aware nature of the show only makes those moments even more fun to watch.

I was a little surprised to see virtually everyone who's ever had any sort of significant role in the series return for this episode. The cast was filled up like this was a series finale rather than just a goodbye for the summer. It was particularly nice to see the return of Dr. Ian Duncan, played by John Oliver.

I'd forgotten how enjoyable a character he could be as the overzealous buffoon trying desperately to be liked. He's kind of like Pierce, only even creepier. The mustard scene alone summed up his persona perfectly. I wouldn't mind if the gang had signed up for psychology with Dr. Duncan next semester.

We got to see wacky Professor Whitman (John Michael Higgins) prancing around and telling everyone to "seize the day" come summer. Leonard Briggs, the old coot who has it in for Jeff, and even Annie's beau Vaughn put a shirt on long enough to tell her he'd been offered the chance to be on a premiere hacky-sack team at a Delaware community college.

We'll miss Vaughn around the grounds of Greendale, though he could always find he's so distraught without Annie that he makes his way back. The girl apparently has that affect on people, as evidenced by the closing sequence between her and Jeff.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that they kissed. Jeff was already dealing with relationship yearnings from both Britta and Professor Slater; did he really need to pull the teenager into it? Add to that the fact that she is a teenager, albeit a technically legal one. But most significantly, I really enjoyed the play of their relationship as friends. She's a great antithesis to Jeff's narcissistic and amoral drives, and even her crushing on him worked for them.

I didn't want to see Jeff succumb to her Disney Princess eyes, and her youthful figure and give in to her advances, but I guess he was in about as emotionally vulnerable a state as we've seen. I'd chide Annie for taking advantage of him while he was struggling with his feelings about the other two, but she is a teenager. They're not fully developed in the brains yet, so they can't help themselves. Hormones supercede logic. It's Jeff's responsibility to be the bigger man.

At least it sets up some incredibly complex emotional drama for next season.

Speaking of emotional drama, Annie agreeing to leave with Vaughn for Delaware made what she did last week look even worse. She was willing to have everyone fail Spanish just so they could be together, and now she's ready to drop them all to follow a guy with tiny nipples? Damn those teenagers! All she needed to do to make it worse was add a "Duh!" after telling everyone.

The Troy/Abed/Pierce triangle was even more complicated. It took a giant cookie for Troy to realize that Abed didn't want them to room together because too much of a good thing can make you sick. Originally, the writers had intended Troy and Pierce to be the "buddy" couple among the guys, but it shifted to Abed when the actors showed better chemistry. It was fun that Pierce acknowledged this, but I'm looking forward even more to next season.

Hopefully, they address the fact that Troy is living with Pierce. I'm sure it's not an easy thing to do; proven by Pierce saying he would have his butler size Troy for a uniform. I know we don't leave campus, but I would totally be down for a trip to Pierce's mansion at some point. He's always wanting to fit in and be friends with everyone. If Troy is still living there, he could totally throw a party and have everyone stop by.

There were so many great moments in the episode, like Shirley's keg stand, Duncan getting a Chang to the face and Dean Pelton's dalmation dates arriving at the dance. How about that it was shorted to a Tranny Dance because Transfer didn't sound cool enough?

I am a little worried for 'Community' next fall, now that CBS has shifted their ratings juggernaut 'The Big Bang Theory' directly opposite it. NBC's little gem has already been struggling to find an audience opening the Thursday night lineup, and now it's going to be even harder as I suspect the two shows are sharing a lot of their audience. At least I can be confident 'Community' will be bringing quality comedy to the battle.

Aml

Did anyone else catch when everyone was choosing between Team Britta and Team Slater. Starburns yelled "I want Conan back." I thought that was a nice dig at NBC.

May 22 2010 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

"I can't believe I paid $10 for this video. I don't even know any of these people."

Isn't that always the case with yearbooks?

May 21 2010 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Shirley had about 5 lines all episode...

May 21 2010 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I loved how Senor Chang addressed the fact that Britta's lipstick at the Valentines Day Dance was awful and at the Tranny Dance it was much better.
Funny and true.

May 21 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hewitt

I have to admit I was rooting all along for it to be Annie. Jeff has zero chemistry with Britta and Slater.

May 21 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EbonyDad

I loved it. I think everyone falling for one another is such a typical college thing. You are around one another all the time, you get to know one another. Sooner or later people develop feelings for one another. This actually reminds me of when I went to school. Everyone who were friends eventually dabbled with the thought of going out with the other person. I really hope this show continues to shine next season.

Oh... And you gotta love the Tranny Queen competition. LOL

May 21 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dray

Awesome finale!

Anyone else catch the Lost reference when Chang told Duncan, "I will find a loophole...and then I'll kill you."

May 21 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I enjoyed the episode but the Jeff/Annie thing was a disaster. Maybe they'll find a clever way to pull it out come fall but right now it looks like they killed one of their biggest strengths.

The great thing about the Jeff/Annie relationship is that they do seem perfect for each other but Annie isn't grown up enough for an adult relationship and Jeff isn't mature enough to want one. That gives the writers a chance to build the relationship and an undercurrent to the series while allowing them to pair Jeff and Annie off in comical relationships throughout the series run. With this kiss it will make it hard for them to push it back into the background and if they have it end badly it will damage the best real relationship the show has going.

(Pulling the trigger on their relationship also did make it seem a little creepy on Jeff's part not necessarily because of Annie's age but because of the fact that she's immature for her age)

May 21 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom's comment
alexmonty

Seems more likely that we are heading to another "Ross and Rachel" relationship, hopefully we don't need to wait up to season 10 to get them finally together.

Fantastic Finale, I can't wait till fall for more.

May 22 2010 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

As long as she is legal and played by Allison Brie dating a teen is acceptable for someone Jeff's age. However, BOTH factors must be present. The moment she is recasted its inappropriate.

May 21 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
artissco

I think this finale was logical. At first it was so "WTF" but then "ohh, I get it". There was few episodes where you could tell something was going on with them.

And this is Community where standard TV rules don't apply.

May 21 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply