September 22, 2014

Instant Dharma: The End of 'Lost,' The End of an Era - Critics' Reactions (VIDEO)

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 24th 2010 11:10AM

'Lost' finale - How do you say goodbye to your favorite show? A show that actually inspired you to do your own show, just so you could talk about that show? Well, you throw a party, you have tissues on hand and you get as many fellow fans and friends to watch with you.

That show for me is 'Lost,' and the series and our weekly Instant Dharma debates were given a fond farewell party Sunday night, complete with 'Lost'-themed food (Desmond Hume-mus, Mr. Clucks Fried Chicken Bites with Dharma Ranch Dressing, Charles Widmore submarine sandwiches, Jacob and Man in Black & White Cookies and, yes, some Dharma Beer).

Even more special: almost all of the guests you've seen throughout the season returned to share their finale reactions with us.

Guests included:

*Eric Goldman (@EricIGN) and Matt Fowler (@Fowler_IGN) from IGN TV
*Moviefone's own Jenna Busch (@JennaBusch)
*Dan Fienberg (@HitFixDaniel) and Alan Sepinwall (@sepinwall, via Skype), both from HitFix.com
*TVGuide.com's Natalie Abrams (@NatalieAbrams)
*Jace Lacob (@televisionary), a.k.a. Televisionary
*Kate Aurthur (@KateAurthur) from The Daily Beast
*Ryan McGee (@Zap2itLost, via Skype) and Brill Bundy (@Zap2itBrill) from Zap2it
*Brill's media-savvy hubby Eric Alemendral (@EricOnMedia)
*Maria Elena Fernandez (@writerchica) and Todd VanDerWerff (@tvoti) representing for the Los Angeles Times
*Todd's wife and co-host of their TV on the Internet podast Libby Hill (@midwestspitfire)
*Tara Bennett (@TaraDBennett, via Skype), co-author of the 'Lost' Encyclopedia
*Kris White (@heykristopher, via Flip cam), producer of ABC's Official 'Lost' Podcast

All of these people helped make Instant Dharma such a fun show to do all season, and I can't thank them enough for making our finale episode so awesome. I hope their thoughts inspire you 'Lost' fans out there to share your own finale thoughts in the comments. Think of it as therapy. I know most of us will need a little after this crazy ride!

Maybe the show answered all your questions, or maybe you were left wanting more. Maybe you loved the finale ... some of you, not so much. But to all of you reading this, I have to ask one final burning question: uh ... now what? See you all in another life, brotha.

Don Nalley

To all the people who wanted answers(and I'm one of them), the writers put in a brilliant line from Allison Janney (Jacob's and his brother's "mother"). She told the true mother that, "answering your question will only lead to new questions!" Wow, the writers are geniuses. Also, I love the way the show ended with Vincent lying next to Jack with a close up of his eye, exactly the way the pilot began, also with Vincent next to Jack. I was a little disappointed with many mysteries still unanswered but I LOVED this show, I can't wait to get the complete set on Blu-ray!

May 29 2010 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
riley

Lost was about two things: the characters and the mysteries. The finale was about ONE thing: the characters. And now we're being made to feel like "we didn't get it" because the characters side was fulfilled but we still want to know why they didn't address the other thing.

The finale was flawed for that. The last SEASON was flawed for that. There were dozens of mysteries. If they'd have solved any ten of them in a fun way...great. But they didn't.

It comes down to this: if you were told, six years ago, that THIS was going to the be ending, that THIS was all the answer you were ever going to get...would you have stayed with it this long.

No. Honestly? You wouldn't. And neither would I.

May 28 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wiggetybowwow

i watched the pilot and didn't like it. 3 years into the series i called in at my brother's house, he asked me to shush for 10 minutes while he watched the end of a lost episode...i eneded up being like 'who is she? why is she with him? why are they in a cage? bla bla....then i went back and watched all previus episodes to catch up. i was hooked good and proper then.

it has been a couple of days since watching the finale and i still don't know how i feel about it...
i am confused with the flash sideways thing also...
when jack's father was with claire in the hut, and claire was found, she made it quite clear she was happy where she was, she seemed to have the answers to the island etc...so if she was in purgatory and had been redeemed , why did she appear in later episodes as a crazy woman?..

there are as we all know hundreds of unanswered questions, but i am sure i will watch it all again, this time with a notepad at the ready...lol

the finale was so emotional for me, but i couldn't cry because i had a room full of people, all trying to pretend not to be upset...so i will watch again on my own this time :)
it was on the edge of your seat stuff though, wasn't it? emotionally draining, which was fantastic...
but for me - ht best finale in the history of finales has to be SIX FEET UNDER, that made me sob...
hello to all losties from wiggety in the UK xoxox

May 26 2010 at 4:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daleks

i liked alot of the series, but it seemed like almost the same as BSG, where they just ran out of steam at the end, even though there was so much good writing and plot in the middle.. almost like they didnt care about what happened, had a team meeting on what they should do, brainstormed some ideas in 20 minutes to an hour, and came up with, ok that'll work, writers get on it

alot of action and drama, with no plot. if this is the new style of writing, i'm going to stick to books from now on.

I think Travis nailed it.. i like what they attempted to do, just so sad they fell short at the end with the old cliches

the only sense i can make of it is at the end they opted out of existence and achieved some kind of nirvana, which can make sense if we all are living some kind of dream, but still never answers what the island was, or who built it.. obviously there was some stone work involved, so its not like it was just there since the beginning of time. if that were the case, it could have been more palatable

May 26 2010 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sowhatsupbaby

I enjoyed watching the Lost finale and sorry to see it end.

It's not the unanswered mysteries that we seek but the characters' interaction that we will forever miss.

May 26 2010 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lost4evr

I'm in the camp of LOVED the finale. I was not offended at all by the religious symbolism at the end and thought it was quite fitting for the finale. I was very much into the mysteries surrounding each and every episode. More so than the character development. I painstakingly threw myself into areas of research that I never would have ventured into otherwise just to try to prove/disprove a theory. But when it was over, I realized that in the grand scheme of things, the answers to the mysteries just weren't as important as the connections these characters made with each other. Connections so strong, they transcended even death. The finale left me rejoicing instead of mourning. And if that is what Damon, Carlton and JJ were going for than it worked. If not, I thank them anyway from the bottom of my heart for giving us LOST and the most endearing community surrounding the phenomenom that is LOST. I am a better person for the people I have connected with from the show and feel blessed every day since our paths have crossed on this journey called life. Namaste

May 25 2010 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

The more I mull it over after watching the finale, watching Instant Dharma and reading comments here, the more and more I'm disliking the end of Lost, and ultimately the entire series. My thoughts & comments:

I liked what they TRIED to do with the series as a whole. I cared about the characters. But I still don't know enough about characters like Charles Widmore, for example. Alan Dale, Widmore's portrayer, even said on Jimmy Kimmel's Aloha to Lost that he still doesn't know if his character was good or bad. Unfortunately, not enough info was given about those characters that were built up to be such major players for the span of most of the series.

Jacob didn't even pan out to be the type of character I felt like they built him up to be; somebody who made a mistake, creating the Smoke Monster by throwing his brother down a hole. So then WHY didn't the Smoke Monster try to get Linus or any of the rest of the cast to throw Jacob in the Tunnel of Light, destroying both the island and Jacob?! Killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Speaking of birds, forget the polar bear, lighthouse, statue. What the heck was the deal with the large "Hurley Bird" that screeches Hurley's name in Live Together, Die Alone?!

Ah yes, "Live Together, Die Alone". The ending would've been SO MUCH better if the church doors would've opened to reveal the Island, sending the reunited characters off to happily "live together", indeed. Allowing Jacob to actually win his long on-going game with MiB, validating Jacob's viewpoints on mankind. Rather than having our dearly departed friends going off "into the light" once they remember each other again in the afterlife after first "dying alone" one by one as Jack apparently did. Well, with Vincent by his side. Nice to finally see Vincent again, at least.

Instead, Jacob seemed more like an evil, un-Yoda-like grim reaper. Leaving an very unsatisfactory, confused, unresolved outcome for poor MiB/Smoke Monster. Seeing the lifeless plane wreckage on the beach in the end definitely gave the Island a feel of purgatory, whether it actually was or not.

So much of the rest just seemed to hurried, and downright lame. Like Claire not wanting to get on the plane because of the way she looked! From the creepy way they acted after they remembered, I thought the little "pea-pod" growing in Sun's belly made both Sun and Jin appear to have been invaded by The Bodysnatchers. And Shannon and Sayid's reunion couldn't have been more cheesy.

My genuinely favorite moment from the finale came when Richard Alpert and Miles paddle into a still witty, surviving Frank Lapidus. And their dialogue that followed. Lapidus to a clueless Alpert, "In case you haven't noticed, I'm a pilot".

May 25 2010 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tobi

I went out for a filet mignon dinner and was given corned beef hash. I wanted answers not more questions. Not much made sense. What about the people who flew off the island? To where? The questions go on. What I 'Lost' is 120 hours of my life.

May 25 2010 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dutchy

Wasn't it already explained in the Richard-episode why the island is special? Jacob explained it with a wine bottle. The island is a cork that holds the evil inside.
When Desmond removed that stone cork it unleashed hell on the island, and maybe after the island is destroyed it will destroy the entire earth.

So Jack saved the island and the earth by putting the cork back into the hole. And then it was up to Hurley to be the guardian.

May 25 2010 at 3:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Gilstram

I stopped watching two or three seasons ago because I suspected this was "Twin Peaks 2" (or 3?). I gave it a look again last week and my suspicions were confirmed when I saw Allison Janney(!?) and Her Two Sons wrangling through a penultimate episode from which the show's major characters were missing save for brief cameos. A good thing the Broadway version of "Nine to Five" flopped last year or how would Allison ever have gotten to the island to help "wrap it all up." It was obvious they were making it all up as they went along. Further evidence: major character Walt from waaay back at the beginning was conspicuously absent from the finale, but unnessarily so. Scenes of resolution involving the little boy could easily have been filmed five or six years ago when he was still a little boy IF Abrams and company had had any clue where they were headed.

Why does it matter? Because we watch drama to see and reflect on how characters deal with the circumstances given. If we're never let in on what those circumstances actually are, who cares? A tease can be amusing - to a point. But without an "aha" moment of revelation, it's like an Agatha Christie without the whodunnit solution, and in this case, without even the what that who dunn. How many books would that master of mystery have been able to sell if they all ended with, "I've got you really curious now haven't I. Well, too bad 'cause I'm not gonna tell"?

At least in an old "Twilight Zone" story when we would find out that everybody was really back on earth all along - or maybe in heaven or hell's waiting room, it took less than an hour.

May 25 2010 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply