July 24, 2014

Reality Check: Both Holly and Bret Won 'The Celebrity Apprentice'

by Joel Keller, posted May 24th 2010 1:09PM
Holly Robinson Peete, Bret Michaels and Donald Trump in the finale of 'The Celebrity Apprentice'After a pretty interesting season, the finale of 'The Celebrity Apprentice' took a left turn when Bret Michaels' health problems began. Think about it for a second: When Michaels and Holly Robinson Peete were executing their finale tasks sometime last fall, neither of them thought they'd be sitting at the live finale talking about anything but how they did in the finale and defending the moves they made.

But, months later, all anyone could think of and talk about was Michaels and how miraculous -- and risky -- it was for him to be sitting across the table from Donald Trump last night, just over a month since suffering a brain hemorrhage and less than a week after suffering a mini-stroke. Indeed, seeing him shuffle to the boardroom table, the hospital visits having taken a toll on his weight and strength, was a pretty inspiring sight.

I'd like to say "I called it!", Stephen Colbert-style, because I thought Bret was going to win weeks ago. But, I've also said that the strength and weakness of the show is that Trump alone makes all the hiring and firing decisions. So, since I'm not able to burrow under the Donald's wind-swept 'do and into his brain, there's no way that I can say for sure whether Trump gave Bret the win based on sympathy or just merit.

He didn't really explain his reasoning all that much in the finale. He was too busy faking the audience out, going to Bret, then Holly, then back to Bret in order to build drama, waiting until the last possible second to announce who he was going to hire. And we also didn't get the Snapple executives' overall assessment of who did a better job.

The latter point is the key here. All the evidence points to the fact that the results of the task were a draw. Snapple decided to sell both Holly's Compassionberry and Bret's Trop-A-Rocka flavors, and they gave both contestants' charities the $250,000 grand prize. Bret didn't get an additional $250,000 for being the winner. So it seems the title of "Celebrity Apprentice" this time around is just that: a title.

If that's the case, then really, both Bret and Holly won. Holly has no kick coming with the results: Both the American Diabetes Association and the HollyRod Foundation got much-needed funds from the show and the invaluable exposure both the show and the Snapple sales will provide. And both deserved to win: They put together solid presentations that played to their strengths -- Bret's creativity and ability to improvise, and Holly's organization and ability to get a high-quality job done.

In addition, Holly would be the first to say that, after all that Bret's gone through recently, she had no problem with him winning. So given that, the results of the task and the fact that Bret came to New York against his doctors' orders, putting himself at great risk, even Trump wasn't going to be cold-hearted enough to give the win to Holly.

But if Bret hadn't gotten sick? Who knows? I'm with Bret: Trump's enough of a hound that he may have given the win to Holly based just on her dress.

Sigma982

you're a bunch of crybabies. There's no spoilers given away in this article pre-jump. If you have any sort of reading comprehension, you can see that the title is essentially saying "Both Holly and Bret came out winners on Celebrity Apprentice".

You should also assume that if the show's happened, then after the jump, there is going to be discussion of the EPISODE ITSELF. Since this is the finale, that would mean mentioning the WINNER, since that's the key point of the episode.

If I haven't watched an episode of a show, I won't read the review/discussion of it until I've watched it.

My assumption is that if the episode has aired, then there's no such thing as a "spoiler".

Use common sense instead of going to "whine first" mode.

Cripes.....

May 24 2010 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

do what I do - don't come to this site until after you have watched what ever episode it is that you have TiVo'd or DVR'd - its quite simple to do really :)

May 24 2010 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

David, if you didn't want to know, why did you read the article? This morning, USA Today reviewed "lost" and revealed the entire surprise ending. SHould I cancel my subscription to the newspaper ... or should I have known better than to read about something before watching the recording I made of it? Take responsibility for your actions, man. Geez.

May 24 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Huh? How do I spoil anything? I say in the headline both won. I have a picture of the two of them in a neutral pose. And I don't say anything about who won until after the jump. So unless you purposely clicked to read the article, you have no idea who won.

May 24 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joel Keller's comment
Michael

Um, maybe it's because THEY BOTH FREAKING WON, Joel... The fact that you didn't say anything "about" who won until after the jump doesn't take away from the fact that you DID give away the final results that this year Trump awarded both Brett and Holly $250K and that he didn't give Brett the additional $250K for winning outright.

David, you are spot on about Joel giving it away. I hardly ever read TV Squad until WAY after I've seen the episodes they are reviewing. They just don't seem to get it... even with constant criticism of how they choose to post.

May 24 2010 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Sorry, not buying that one. Saying they both won could have meant anything. Anyway, I could have just mentioned who won, like all the other websites out there have, like the morning TV shows, Regis and Kelly, and pretty much everyone across all media have.

We are a news site, folks. We try to be sensitive to spoilers, but if we can't report the news like everyone else, we're dead. I didn't even do that here and I still get yelled at.

May 24 2010 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natasha

The reality check is Bret is the celebrity apprentice, they were not both winners. Holly's Snapple campaign was a loser in our house, it lacked personality. Holly always has brains and bucks to back her projects she commanded, but Bret's work always made you excited and wanting more of whatever he was pitching, just like a good business person should.

May 24 2010 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Having read the rest of the article, I am still annoyed. It still gives away part of the conclusion of the series (though not as severe as I originally thought). Again I ask why?

May 24 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Im done.

Clearly you are all too stupid to understand what spoilers are and/or are not clued in to DVRs and the fact that people might watch shows later than it is aired.

So I am done. An otherwise enjoyable well-written site I visited is now one I will not visit any longer as requests from myself and others not to put spoilers in the headline, initial paragraphs (pre-jump), and spoiler pictures continue to go un-heeded. Seemed like a reasonable request. Go figure.

May 24 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply