August 22, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Lunar Excitation' Recap (Season Finale)

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 24th 2010 11:29PM
big bang theory season finale(S03E23) Well, we sure didn't end the season with a big Leonard/Penny moment. There was no tearful reconciliation or bitter fight: just drunken sex and a reaffirmation that their relationship is over. Leonard and Penny ended not with a bang, but with a whimper (and then with a bang, but still).

Instead we get Mayim Bialik as a possible love interest for... Sheldon. When Raj and Wolowitz signed Sheldon up for a dating service in the beginning of the episode, I dreaded this storyline. I love the fact that Sheldon gets to be asexual, and everybody treats him like a general loon because he is one-- not because he doesn't have a girlfriend. It's a nice dynamic and I was afraid that this episode was going to ruin it, since everyone on television has to be in love with someone all the time.

Even after Amy Farrah Fowler showed up, I wasn't too excited (well, except for the fact that I'm kind of obsessed with Mayim Bialik). However, once she took all forms of human contact, including coitus, off the table, then I was sold. Some of the best scenes on this show involve Penny and Sheldon's awkward friendship, so having Sheldon have another female friend is a very intriguing idea to me.

Since it was the big season finale reveal, we haven't really gotten to see it in action yet, but I have high hopes for this. What I'm afraid of is that she's going to go the way of other love interests and just sort of fade away. She'll be a big part of the story for a week or two, and then all the sudden she's dismissed with a casual, "oh, we broke up weeks ago," never to be mentioned again.

What do you think about this latest plot twist? Is it a good idea, or should they just leave Sheldon alone?

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Sheldon: "I should have brought an umbrella."
Leonard: "What for? It's not gonna rain."
Sheldon: "I know that, but with skin as fair as mine, moon burn is a real possibility."

"Don't worry about the moon. We set our laser to 'stun.'" - Leonard

"I'm telling you, dude. The only way to feel better about Penny going out with other guys is for you to get back on the whores." - Raj

Sheldon: "As a native Texan, I must say that I've never heard the phrase 'yee haw' used in quite that context."
Penny: "Oh God."
Sheldon: "'Oh God.' That I've heard on multiple occasions."

Wolowitz: "Okay, what if I were to tell you, tomorrow at 4:30, you could meet a woman who has been scientifically chosen to be your perfect mate."
Sheldon: "I would snort with derision and throw my arms in the air, exhausted by your constant tomfoolery."

Sheldon: "Hello, Amy Farrah Fowler. I'm sorry to inform you that you've been taken in by unsupportable mathematics designed to prey upon the gullible and the lonely. Additionally, I am being blackmailed with a hidden dirty sock."
Amy: "If that was slang, I'm unfamiliar with it. If it was literal, I share your aversion to soiled hosiery."

gman

“What if I were to tell you that tomorrow at 4:30 you could meet a woman who was scientifically chosen to be your perfect mate?” “I would snort in derision and throw my arms in the air by your constant Tom foolery.” “But it’s true!” (Sheldon throws his arms up and snorts.) I love this show. Blockbuster was my first choice in the past and I used them for many years until I started using Netflix but when they raised my price I started using Blockbuster when I got my free mail membership and now I’m all for Blockbuster. I got it free with my new DISH Network employee account but it’s free for anyone. http://bit.ly/jYtohY

September 15 2011 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

If it was me I would take it the direction of having Sheldon and that girl try out a relationship for scientific purposes, maybe bring back Leonard's mother for an episode to give Sheldon relationship advice in an anthropological way. Would also be god to hav the other's reactions to Sheldon getting a girl. But i'd wind down the storyline after a few eps, Sheldon doesnt need a woman.

May 27 2010 at 6:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mistaneon

I was not a fan of the "The Good Wife" joke. Seemed very forced. Raj should have been trying to watch Glee. "I think the principal is threatening to shut down glee club, oh no!"

May 26 2010 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

I liked it when the downstairs neighbor used the "yee haw" as Penny and Leonard were arguing on the landing.

May 26 2010 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChaoZ

It may turn out that Sheldon simply cannot stand someone who is exactly like himself, yet he cannot see how his friends sometimes find his antics annoying.

May 26 2010 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thor

Decent way to end it. Though L/P will be back together-they're ruined for anyone else, and it'll just take some time.

Interesting what they're doing with Sheldon. If they don't change him, and it's possible with Amy, I think, then I won't be fiercy opposed to Sheldon/Girl like I always have been.

May 25 2010 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Key Rick

The writers are headed the wrong direction, I feel. The Sheldon character needs, and I mean this with the utmost respect for curvaceous, stereotypically un-brainy types of gals, a seemingly stupid hunkette; e.g. a Monroe to his Miller. Opposites evidently really do attract, and seeing Sheldon being followed and fawned over and catered to by a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue caliber looker would flow more naturally, especially considering the comedic potential! Picture a young Jerry Hall type. A Texan Beauty! Imagine the simmering catfight potential over whether Penny is "just a friend". Anyway, that's the direction I'd go if I had a say.

May 25 2010 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlashBack

One thing I loved was Penny's changed attitude toward stupid hunks! Leonard's 'ruined' her she cried. Good touch by the writers.

May 25 2010 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anonymoose

Pretty good way to end the season. I too, was extremely fearful at the prospect of seeing Sheldon's
"perfect" match. Great first impression, looking forward to seeing what develops next season.

May 25 2010 at 5:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply