September 1, 2014

'Chuck' - 'Chuck Versus The Ring: Part 2' Recap (Season Finale)

by Brad Trechak, posted May 25th 2010 2:01AM
Chuck(S03E19) I continue my opinion from the last episode of 'Chuck.' This episode was awesome.

It's difficult to talk about it without using heavy spoilers. The Subway restaurant chain has been so good to this show, I'm surprised they didn't turn an entire episode into a 42-minute commercial like Stride Gum did on 'Smallville.' Still, Subway earned that extended promotion from Big Mike.

There were nice little callbacks sprinkled throughout the episode and little Easter Eggs as well. For instance, Ted Roark's name as well as several previous villains appeared on the cabinets in the former Bartowski residence. Also, young Chuck was wearing a Superman t-shirt and then fighting Superman to the death in a later scene.

Dear NBC: Please, please, please put the Jeffster! video online somewhere. Maybe even let people download the MP3. Thank you.

The biggest reveal of this episode is that Chuck has been the host of the Intersect since he was a little kid. Granted, it probably was an early and not very useful version of the Intersect, but it's still surprising that he hasn't been flashing since childhood. With Daddy Bartowski gone, what happens if/when the Governor malfunctions or breaks? I guess we'll find out next season.

The Buy More blew up. That was Point Two on my list. Overall, I got four out of five without even seeing these episodes. Not bad.

Who else noticed that Shaw used the American flag to swing to safety after he was exposed as working for The Ring (oh, and the whole "recording the confession" tactic could be seen a mile off)? Could the analogy be any more obvious?

Granted, now there is no reason to include Jeff, Lester and Big Mike in next season what with Jeffster! on the run from the law. I hope they do it anyway. How do you think those three will be involved in Chuck's life next year?

The Ring was apparently as easily disposable as Fulcrum. Who the Hell were the Elders? I recognized none of them. I understand about budgetary concerns for the show, but after keeping them in shadow for all this time it would have been nice if they were someone we actually gave a crap about.

I was wondering where the show could go in the next season and the writing team let me know. Chuck will now be on a quest to find his mother and that will make him break his promise to Ellie and bring him back into the spy game. Judging by the list of various groups lining the files of Stephen Bartowski, there should be no shortage of enemy organizations to use for next season.

Chuck is still finding his purpose and his insane life has thrown yet another obstacle in the way. I guess next his grandparents will miraculously show up. And there's still room for Chuck to have a child, thus fulfilling Point Three on the list. See you next year.

[Watch episodes and clips of 'Chuck' on SlashControl or below.]

ditroia

Great Amiga Reference with the Guru meditation on the original intersect.

These guys really are Nerds.

May 29 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
H

Couldn't these two reviews have been published as one? I know it was two separate episodes, but it aired without a seam other than the reappearance of the opening credits.

I think this episode was everything it needed to be to tie-up major loose ends without taking away the possibility of another season. I'm extremely happy that NBC gave them an extended season so they could set up this arc of the story. Now, they have the opportunity to write a fourth season and actually finish the story if they don't think that NBC will be inviting them back for season 5.

May 25 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

This episode was awesome! This is what makes this show so great. I so wanted Chuck to finish Shaw off once and for all though. I guess I'm a bit slow because I totally didn't see the recording the confession thing coming. I wonder how that message at the end got sent if his Dad was dead? I can't wait till next season!

May 25 2010 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
wax_eagle

The message said that if Chuck was receiving it then PapaB was unable to stop it from sending. Its not an uncommon SciFi/spy plot device for a character to have a message is set to send daily the he stops so that his last wishes can be passed on to someone. (A patrick stewart movie is coming to mind, though I cannot remember the title)

May 25 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Brutt

I don't think Stephen Bartowski is dead... I know we saw him get shot... but Shaw was shot also, then brought to the cell regeneration center and brought back to life. I think the Ring wouldn't want to loose him, and brought him downstairs and saved his life... for a later plotline.

May 25 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Easter Egg? The fake wall to the Ring hideout was made by McTiernan Industries. John McTiernan directed "Die Hard" - Nice little homage to the granddaddy of the current action/comedy genre.

May 25 2010 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

simple, big mike is the manager of the new subway and hires jeffster as his go to sandwich artists.

May 25 2010 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I agree, all of the surprises very very predictable but it was still a great episode.

This finale was wayyy better than the alternate season 3 finale.

May 25 2010 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Michael's comment
trekker437

What was the alternate ending and where do I find a place to download it?

May 25 2010 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wax_eagle

I believe he was referring to the original season 3 finale which would have been episode 13 (the final in the original episode order) where Chuck kills Shaw and he and Sarah end up together.

May 25 2010 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew P. Christensen

Mrs. Stephen Bartowski = Linda Carter (Just a guess)

May 25 2010 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Matthew P. Christensen's comment
Aaron

That last scene was great! I'm so ready for the next season.

May 25 2010 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply