December 20, 2014

'Sesame Street' Has Best Ratings Since 2007

by Rich Keller, posted May 25th 2010 11:00AM
The cast of 'Sesame Street' smiles as they hear about their 60% ratings jumpChildren's television is different than it was four decades ago. Instead of only a few hours of programming a day, children now have the option of watching their favorite shows 24 hours a day, seven days a week through a variety of kids' only networks as well as On Demand video services.

With so many choices, it's amazing that older shows, like the long-running 'Sesame Street,' can still draw the attention of little folks. Yet, the four-decade-old program is still going strong -- so strong, in fact, that the show has garnered its highest ratings in years.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, 'Sesame Street' has reported a 60 percent increase in viewership, with a double-digit increase among 3-4 year olds from last year. The show is averaging a 3.5 rating for its core demo of 2-5 year olds, compared to last year's 2.2 rating. According to Sesame Workshop, the non-profit organization behind the show, these are the best ratings the show has earned since 2007.

Sesame Workshop cites the show's recent format changes as the reason for the ratings jump. The reformatted 40th season featured a new opening and a new Muppet, Murray the Monster, handling hosting gigs for four interlocking segments of the show, including the very popular show-within-a-show, 'Elmo's World.'

No word if the format will remain when the show returns for its 41st season later this year.

JonSea31

But I have a feeling that the highest ratings in years is likely due to the milestone 40th season. But then again, it could be due to the format changes that really brought kids back to the show, and PBS knows what works for the ratings. But still, I hate the show.

April 20 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JonSea31

I hate Sesame Street with absolute passion. I grew up my childhood on the "politically incorrect" content, such as Bert and Ernie fighting/arguing, Cookie Monster eating a plate of cookies, and some other content that stimulated my hyperactivity that resulted in my mother banning the show in October 1984. At that time, my love for the show instantly became hate. In fact, ever since my mother banned the show, my mother has hated the show as well, and to this day and beyond she no longer supports it at all. My mother was probably one of Canada's "pioneers" in noticing behaviour problems linked to certain content on the classic episodes. Every time I hear the Sesame Street theme playing on the radio, I just switch the station or turn off the radio, or if it's playing in a public place, I just leave the premises in a heartbeat. If I were married and had kids, I would never recommend the show to my kids. If I recommend anything to my kids, hands-on learning is the ultimate route to go, to me. If it goes off the air someday, I will certainly not despise it one bit. If it happened to Canadian Sesame Street/Sesame Park, it can happen to the American equivalent as well.

It's days like this that I miss Mr. Dressup greatly. :(

April 20 2011 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noli

I grew up watching SS. IN fact, I learned the alphabet, my first english words and numbers from SS. What a great show! Mr. Hooper, Gordon and Susan, Maria and Luis, Bob and all the friends on that wonderful street. Kids could be kids. Oh one thing... Why not let the cookie monster eat cookies - we as adults do. And it is up to us parents to teach the kids to eat right, not the media.

May 26 2010 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chloe

I'm nearly 18 and I still watch Sesame Street when I can. It brings back such a feeling of nostalgia. Grant it, since I was a kid Elmo has kind of taken over. If Jim Henson was still alive, I think he'd be proud on what an impact a rather experimental show when it began has made.

May 25 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ChaoZ

Haven't watched it in years, but I think it's one of those shows I would have no trouble enjoying even today.

May 25 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich Keller

I think flipping 'Elmo's World' to the 20-minute mark would throw kids for a loop. It's been at the 40-minute mark for as long as I can remember. Plus, it makes a good ending for the hour.

May 25 2010 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

It's about time somebody said something right
about Sesame Street, and I appreciate that report.
I'm happy to hear viewership has increased 60%,
and I'm looking forward to the day when my all-time
favorite children's show breaks the record for the
longest running children's program, ever at 44 years.
If I could make a suggestion for Season 41, it would
be to flip-flop Elmo's World & Abby's Flying Fairy
School, so that Elmo's World airs at the 20-minute
mark, and Abby's Flying Fairy School airs at the
40-minute mark, since Elmo's World is very popular.
I don't really care that much for Abby Cadabby's new
segment, so I'd like to see Elmo & Abby switch places
in the show, but everything else remain the same.

May 25 2010 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply