December 17, 2014

The Four Worst Commercials on TV Right Now

by Bob Sassone, posted May 25th 2010 3:27PM
Cisco adI wish I could watch TV commercials with more patience and understanding. I thought that being irritated by TV commercials was something I'd grow out of once I got older and realized things like this just aren't that important.

So why do I find myself more annoyed than ever? Maybe it's because I watch TV for a living and I see a lot of the ads several times a day, but there are many spots that just bug me to the point where I just start clicking random remote buttons. And I'm a guy who actually likes commercials.

After the jump are my thoughts on four commercials that are currently running on your TV set. Watch them here so you don't have to watch them when you're watching television later tonight.

1. The Cisco System ads with Ellen Page.
I picked these spots as number one not because there's anything massively annoying about the ads, like irritating music or bothersome camera work or tortured plot lines that make you roll your eyes or throw your remote at your TV screen. But here are the two questions I have: Why do these commercials exist, and why is Ellen Page in them?

I guess if those are the two questions you have about a commercial -- questioning its very existence and the celebrity in it -- then the commercials fail. I wonder why Cisco even has to advertise. What consumer are they trying to attract? I'm semi-geeky and into technology, but I don't care about this. It's more of a business-side thing, I think.

And then there's Ellen Page. One of the ads has Page coming into a classroom and all the kids are excited to see her. Really? Are the kids that into 'Juno'? Maybe if Michael Cera walked into the room because the kids would know him from other movies and TV shows, but Ellen Page? Endorsing Cisco? It's a massive disconnect, like they were grasping for any celeb they could find.

2. Boost Mobile. Is there something about the ad below I don't understand? Is the woman trapped in some 'Twilight Zone'-ish world where everyone is different and even though the woman is "normal" she is still the "abnormal" one, a la the 'Eye of the Beholder' episode? To put it bluntly, what is going on with the two airport workers? I don't understand if this is Earth or what exactly is going on.

I mean, the kid in the cage dressed like a dog is the most normal thing in the ad.

3. Six Flags and "Little Six." When I first saw this ad -- the newest ad in the long-running series featuring the bald Six Flags Guy -- I thought it was cute. When the kid version of the guy shows up, all bald and dressed in a suit and wearing big glasses, I said HA. But then it sunk in: We're going to have to watch this commercial 20 times a day, every single day, until the day after Labor Day, and then I got sick to my stomach.

4. Verizon FiOS. I've already complained about this ad in-depth here, but I will add this. Not only does this ad make Verizon customers seem like jerks (after a bunch of ads that made the Verizon tech guys look like jerks), but it also assumes that everyone watching is going to side with the customer who opens the door, shoves the cable box in the Comcast guy's hands and says "good riddance." I don't side with that guy, so this commercial irritates the hell out of me.

Of course, I'm choosing this ad because it's on the air right now. In reality, all of Verizon's ads irritate me.

Which current commercial drives you up the wall?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

sherryhilderman

The commercials I hate the most and can't change the channel or hit the mute button soon enough are: "having SAM in her pants" (poise, I think), the 'bum lady', any of the Nissen car ads and the old folks on the Swiffer ad. Too bad they don't use the ad agency that do the M&M candy commercials, they are 'priceless'

July 14 2014 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pumpy40

The absolute worst commercials on tv are any and I mean any of the WB Mason commercials. I wish that I could redo those for just half of whatever they spent and be more successful.

July 10 2013 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
That's just me

The Niaspan ads with the relative of a cardiac patient making a desparate plea for their loved one to quit being so stuborn and take the doctors advice. "What are you waiting for, Pete? An evgraved invitation?" I mean really! A freakin' video e-mail? Is that the best you can do?

April 17 2011 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miki Kearns

I just wrote to Cisco complaining mainly about the nauseating voice over at the end of each ad that says "Cisco, the human network" dripping with a nauseating like Disney princess tone. They wrote back saying they have had a lot of feedback about that voice over-as for the Ellen part-yeah-really? Nothing against the actress but it was almost like a plug to make HER more popular than she was.

January 31 2011 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

The commercials I absolutely cannot stand are the Honda commercials with "Mr. Opportunity." They are so lame and an insult to the intelligence--how can such a good product have such horrible ads? Commercials I love are the Traveler's Insurance ads, usually featuring animals. The Slug Bug ones are VERY irritating.

August 14 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rain

Quiznoes. Do they cook and serve the cats. It is truly the worst commercial I have ever seen.

August 05 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geohiker

I'd like to nominate two of the most annoying commercials for consideration.
the lite & fit one with hidie klum slurping and sucking that stuff. also, the Sonic commercial with the retards doing the chant at closed resturants about their chili dawg.

August 05 2010 at 5:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AMF

Has anyone mentioned anything put on by GEICO? Be it the Cavemen, the little green lizard, or the droll guy with the TOO TALL JONES or ELMER FUDD thing, they all stink BIG TIME. Please go out of business, GEICO, or change your advertising company!

May 29 2010 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

All Verizon commercials are masterpieces (besides droid), Verizon guy-cable guy, island of misfit toys, Big Red. Compared to the annoying cable tv commercials (besides OK cable) Optimum Triple play jingles literally every commercial break....

May 29 2010 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyberfool

My current peeves are the spots for the upcoming "Last Comic Standing", so tired of hearing "Be About It"...

Also the Cell carriers AT&T/Sprint war over who has the best coverage area/faster downloads is annoying as hell. Which makes me glad I'm with Virgin Mobile, who hardly advertises, anyway.

May 29 2010 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply