April 19, 2014

Disney Drops SoapNet Channel for New Kiddie Network

by Allison Waldman, posted May 26th 2010 10:45PM
soapnet_logo_disneyAfter 10 years and 75 million subscribers, the SoapNet channel has been cancelled. The move was a major shock, although considering the demise of daytime dramas across the dial -- including the end of 'As the World Turns' this September -- it's likely a sign that the soap opera genre is on the endangered species list.

Disney intends to replace SoapNet with a channel called Disney Junior, which will be aimed at preschoolers, ages 2-7, according to a report in The New York Times. The lineup will include many current Disney Channel shows like 'Mickey Mouse Club,' 'Handy Manny' and 'Jungle Junction,' as well as feature films like 'Aladdin,' 'The Little Mermaid' and '101 Dalmatians.'

The switchover from SoapNet to Disney Junior will not be immediate. The only date given by Disney was 2012, but The Times reported that Disney would keep SoapNet going for 18 months or so.

The company is working on establishing advertising commitments for the programming that it currently airs: CBS's 'The Young and the Restless,' NBC's 'Days of Our Lives' and all three ABC soaps -- Disney owned properties -- 'All My Children,' 'General Hospital' and 'One Life to Live.'

Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group, explained the reason for the company dropping SoapNet, and emphasized changing technology as the reason for abandoning soap-oriented programming.

"SoapNet was created in 2000 to give daytime viewers the ability to watch time-shifted soaps, before multiplatform viewing and DVRs were part of our vocabulary," she said. "But today, as technology and our businesses evolve, it makes more sense to align this distribution with a preschool channel that builds on the core strengths of our company."

In other words, kids will be watching live and that's an audience that's constantly being replenished. Soap fans, on the other hand, are watching on DVRs and online at their own convenience. The service provided by SoapNet is no longer as special as it once seemed to be. Frankly, if Disney had launched it in 1990, it might have been a tremendous success.

Mindy Kellis Ursell

Taking the soapnet channel off makes me so made. There isn\'t hardly anything on tv anymore anyway. There are enough tv shows for kids now without taking our station away. We happen to work for a living, and can\'t be home during the day to watch our soaps, so it was nice to be able to relax at night and watch them. Some of us can\'t afford dvr, we can barely afford cable or satellite, so we depended on soapnet. I\'s sure I am not alone in my feelings. Hope you are happy, because we aren\'t!!!!

January 06 2014 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristy

Hello Everyone i have recently lost SOAPNET channel like everyone else yet i feel its not necessary to take SOAPNET off How many children networks are realy needed?
cant they pull disney east or west for this new network an give us back SOAPNET? How many kids will be up 24/7 to even watch this new network???? honestly you tryin to put older people 18 an above back to bein under 5 whats next will All channels be 4 kids only?

January 06 2014 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JAMES

Greed Greed Greed,,, like Disney needs more money..... it's all about the bottom line, They don't care about anything else............ a show for 2-7 year olds is just a babysitter for lazy parents..... this is why kids these days are so lazy and stupid because parents sit them in front of the TV as a babysitter and Disney fuels this.... way to go!!!! I loved being able to take an hour and watch my favorite soap that I can't watch during the day because I work 10 hours a day..... and dont' stay home all day to watch soaps and let my kids watch disney !!!!!!! Way to go idiots

December 06 2013 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer Warner-Coop

we cant afford dvr and i pay basic for internet stinks completely especially for working moms that is their downtime at night. im a stay at home mom and still cant manage to watch my one soap Y&R. they are going to have alot of angry housewives (REAL ONES) and working moms. wrong move disney.... cute channel but just add another channel not like u cant afford it.........

June 25 2012 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patricia.campbell2

I am so mad. I work every day and this was my time of a nite to watch what I like. There is plenty of kids shows as it is and I want you to know my kids,grandkids and great grandkids will not get to see the new one on any of my tvs. What is wrong that would lead you to believe that was the thing to do. I hope it is a flop

June 18 2012 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patricia.campbell2

I will not watch the new Disney network and will not let my grandkids or my great grandkids watch. I work every day and enjoyed coming home to watch the soaps. I am so mad and I hope many more let you know what you have done. There is alot of shows on for kids and the reality shows sucks. Just another way to take over our viewing. Well you can get someone else to watch but not on any of my tvs. Thanks for nothing.

June 18 2012 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ursulab51

I'm so upset about them doing this also, I hope another network picks them up soon.

May 17 2012 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Clark

Soaps have not gone away by any means.Prime time has many scripted shows that are soaps.Day time Sony NBC and CBS has no problem with theirs soaps because they market them! ABC set out to destroy their soaps because they wanted out of the business.If they had marketed their soaps they would be even more money making.Disney owners of ABC and Soapnet and they are greedy a shame even though Bob Iger started his career with a soap he dumped millions of fans.All people still watch day time soaps by live, recording or soapnet.ABC,CBS and NBC was supported by day time soaps for many years their news and prime time shows.Why do children need another network here in FL DirecTV has 14 children's networks.Children should not be watching TV mor than 3 hrs a day.They get a favorite channel and do not usually change to another!So I hope one of these smart business savvy TV companies start a new soap network they are going to have a very loyal millions of viewers for this any other networks they own.

April 07 2012 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucille1937

soapnet had 75 million viewers and disney jr will have bunch of brain dead kids parked in front of tv,24 hrs a day, getting fat like little robots, guess abc disney thinks parents are the dumb ones.sorry but i like to go out in fresh air, go to beach,or just play with dog in yard and guess who will be outside with me,not in front of a tv.since abc disney thinks so highly of me and my fat lazy kids, disney land parks are too much work,for them to visit over easter break or nice vacation instead of watching tv.just think of all the money i'll be saving then,then getting rid of comcast of new jersey is another 160 mo in my pocket so no soapnet , no abc, no disneyland or disney products, sounds good to me lol

April 07 2012 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucille1937

kids do not watch tv 24 hrs a day,so this is complete flop. abc and disney seem to forget,we,the parents pay the cable bill, not our kids, i haven't watched anything on abc except for gh,one hr a day 5 days a week since oltl was taken off and i don't even think to look to see whats on there now. also i'm boycotting everything disney,vacations vitamins toys since that happened. now that soapnet is disney jr, i'm trying to replace comcast of new jersey for one that carries soapnet.not paying for something i don't get, my comcast bill is over 150 a mo,so i know comcast will miss us

April 07 2012 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply