November 20, 2014

Andy Richter Nearing Deal to Host 'Pyramid' Reboot

by Allison Waldman, posted May 28th 2010 8:30AM
andy_richter_nbc_late_showAccording to the LA Times, funnyman Andy Richter is finalizing a deal to host an updated version of the classic game show 'Pyramid.' CBS is expected to slot the reboot in daytime, possibly in October after 'As the World Turns' ends its run.

This is the latest attempt by CBS to resurrect the long-running series. Two pilots were previously shot -- one with Dean McCain and another with Tim Vincent -- but failed to capture the spirit of the original series.

CBS also tried in vain to entice 'Deal or No Deal's' Howie Mandel, as well as Emmy-winning actor Brad Garrett.

CBS has yet to announce if it will pick up 'Pyramid.' If it does, Richter will be pulling double-duty, as Conan O'Brien's new late-night talk show is set to kick off Nov. 8 on TBS.

In addition to developing 'Pyramid,' CBS also has a couple of other new daytime shows in the mix. There's a female talk show a la 'The View' with Julie Chen and possibly Sharon Osbourne, as well as an Emeril LaGasse cooking show.

Joe Joe

They tried a Pyramid re-boot about 10 years ago with Donny Osmond, it failed. The only place it could possibly work is on GSN, where old shows are welcomed. Daytime tv? Nah. You can't recapture anything, the landscape has changed, and game shows aren't part of the fabric. Right now it's the idiotic judge shows, talk shows, and local news. TPiR is dying, Regis' Password re-do bombed, and Deal or No Deal finally wore out it's welcome in primetime.

July 23 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Daytime trying to bring back old game shows is a failure.No one can be better than Dick Clark on Pryamid.When Let's make a Deal comes on I turn off the television.No one can replce Monty Hall and Carol.Keep as The World Turns or I am gone even earlier.And no more talk shows.It's burned out.

June 01 2010 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbhoward

Not Andy Ritcher--He is not even a good comedian. Leave the Pyramid show in the archieves where it belongs.

June 01 2010 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Rather watch paint dry than watch Andy Richter.

May 31 2010 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
foamrock50

I think it is absolutely awful that CBS feels this need to cancel such a wonderful soap, "As the World Turns." There aren't many long-running tv shows these days and these shows started so many great acting careers. I haven't watched this soap for many years, but I feel it's a shame that they can so easily cancel a creative show that helps give folks a way to escape from their daily living headaches, etc. Watching the soaps has helped me get thru the worst part of my life and CBS now ranks near the bottom of my TV networks.

May 31 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeomar

As I recall, the last version of Pyramid decided to use a variation of the line from "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" where they try to build suspense with the "Are you SURE that's your final answer?" shtick. As a result the show DRAGGED DRAGGED DRAGGED. Instead they should take a cue from "Jeopardy!" where the action is nonstop.

May 31 2010 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

If CBS actually succeeds in reviving The Pyramid,
I hope Johnny Gilbert returns as the announcer.
He's done double, even triple duty as an announcer
for the original Pyramid, Jeopardy & Dream House,
as well as Supermarket Sweep. Whoever becomes the
host of The New Pyramid, I wish them good luck.

May 28 2010 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I want a Press your Luck reboot
I miss those whammies

May 28 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Sir Yuck-Yuck's comment
sara

I feel ya. The question is did they mean dean CAIN?

May 31 2010 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

Pyramid was an awesome game! Bring it back forget press your luck...

June 01 2010 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

I think Conan is better without Andy... I'd have much rather they took Joel to LA than brought back Andy.

May 28 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Michael

Many shows have tried and failed miserably to mirror ABC's The View. When will folks learn, if something is not broke do not fix it.

May 31 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply