September 22, 2014

'Are We There Yet?' Preview

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 2nd 2010 12:00AM
Are We There Yet?
When audiences first met Suzanne Kingston and Nick Persons in the film 'Are We There Yet?' Nick was tasked with taking Suzanne's kids on a road trip to visit her on a business excursion. Now, the movie is a TBS sitcom premiering June 2 at 9PM ET. The show is set six months after Suzanne and Nick got together at the end of the 2005 film. The Kingston-Persons family is united under one roof, but that doesn't mean they're all united.

Terry Crews of 'Everybody Hates Chris' fame takes over the role of Nick Persons from Ice Cube. However, Ice Cube, who also serves as an executive producer, appears as Suzanne's brother, Terrence.

Essence Atkins, a recognizable face from the sitcom world with roles on 'Half & Half' and 'Smart Guy,' portrays Suzanne in the show. The role was originated by Nia Long in the film.

Are We There Yet?Coy Stewart, best known for his role as Travis Younger in the stage production of 'A Raisin in the Sun,' plays Kevin in the TV version. Philip Bolden played the role in the film.

Teala Dunn plays Lindsey. Dunn has appeared in 'The Naked Brothers Band' and voiced Tuck in 'Wonder Pets.' Aleisha Allen portrayed the character in the film.

Rounding out the cast is Christian Finnegan ('Best Week Ever') as Nick's best friend Martin, Keesha Sharp ('Girlfriends,' 'Why Did I Get Married?') as Suzanne's boy-crazy friend Gigi and Telma Hopkins ('Family Matters') as Marilyn, Nick's mother.

The sitcom version of 'Are We There Yet?' follows the new family as they restart their lives together. In the first episode, it's nothing but growing pains as Nick and Suzanne debate having a hyphenated last name. In the second episode, Suzanne deals with remaining close to Lindsey in the digital age while Nick struggles to bond with Kevin over soccer.

Check out a sneak peek and a behind the scenes feature below.

anjelt27

I love Terry Crews (Nick) he is too funny. I think this show will have a future.

June 05 2010 at 7:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
russroute66

oh no! not another corny black sitcom.i know this sounds prejudice but it's not it's just my opinion.i'm half black & half italian i grew up in a harlem housing project during the sixtys,seventies and half the eighties,alot of my friends and of course half my family is black but for some reason i find black sitcoms corny.comedy sitcoms should written by comedic professionals,rappers,newspeople and tv personalities does not automatically make you a professional comedian.

June 02 2010 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to russroute66's comment
cinzia21

Why must Cube use these actors? Aren't people tired of looking at Terry Crews, Telma Hopkins and squeaky voiced Essence Atkins? Give a few new actors a chance!

June 02 2010 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. B

When it come down to Ice Cube my better judgment said that when ever he puts his hands on an project 8 out 10 times its over night success. Therefore i can relate to the show however its going to take 3 to 4 shows before we can cast our verdict. Finally, i take my hat off to Ice Cube!

June 02 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imlizzybe

Sunday, You should know by now there is no reasoning with the unreasonable. Inflated egos feed on this stuff and most of us ignore it and move on. Don't waste anymore time with this ghetto human which he keeps on displaying with each of his rants. In fact lets not read anything else regarding this site and let him fume from the lack of attention.

June 02 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Telly

Hold on....Time out. Did you just call me ghetto? ok... nah nah nah
ok... come here... naw naw come here...closer...SLAP!!!! I M RICK
JAMES BITCH!! first of all I m sure you re the type of chick that
irons dirty clothes. Now imma need you to go get your little yellow
football helmet with the short school buses on it for this one...
Imma take it back to Spike Lees DO THE RIGHT THING pizzeria scene
remixed for you... You fake Gucci purse wearing,cell phone in your
mamas name using, unbe-weave-able hair do havin, child
support check chasin, blowin your light bill money in the club,
unemployed check cashin, gov cheese eatin ass bum
buzzard!!! lmaooo
as Slick rick once said.. SIT DOWN EAT YOUR SLICE OF PIZZA AND BE
QUIET!!! fyi...Im not out of my league you re out of your bird!!!
Don t be a groupie keep it movin shawty you don t know me. lol

June 02 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L

If it has Terry Crews, I'll give it a try. I hate to say that it looks like the same old storyline.

June 02 2010 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imlizzybe

They are all the same, the women is crabby and bossy while the husband is laughed at for being not too smart and afraid of his wife while the kids are disrespectful and sneeky. If thats your humor then enjoy!

June 02 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Telly

Keep in mind..opinions are like assholes..everybody has one but some of us are one. Not saying that you are but I m just puttin that out there.(smiles). Now, as far as me COMPREHENDING...I do that well however if you READ WHAT I WROTE and COMPREHENDED what I said you would notice I explained to you why in depth as to how an official street/joke guru(such as my self)would have also paused or waited for,"the laugh track". So long story short you couldn t possibly be talking about me with the slow brain because truth be told you re about to get yourself into a jokeoff right here right now... you probably sittin over there with 3 pimples on your face like a b2k song BUMP BUMP BUMP!!! LMAOOOOO WARNING!!! YOU RE NOT READY!!! normally this would've been considered a battle of witts but apparently you re unarmed lmaooooo. Let me stop messin with you. But walk away while ya can!! lmao.

June 02 2010 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Telly's comment
Sunday

Telly - Go back to the ghetto and sit in your big easy chair and here...have a piece of humble pie. People like you only know how to put others down to make yourself feel better. Shame on you. You are out of your league on this one.

June 02 2010 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Telly

Lets be real here... You got the kids from Are We There Yet.. If you didn t see the movie then you don t know what you re talking about. They,re funny for real, naturally. Terry Crews.. between the old spice commercial po po po po po po POWER!!! LOL, White Chicks(the movie)(mq-once you go black..you gonna end up in a wheel chair lmaooo)and The Longest Yard(mq-It ain t easy being, cheeeesy!!!!-he had the hook up on mcdonalds in jail)That movie wass good too!!- plus Everybody Hates Chris--(mq-chris why do you keep opening the fridge? then he took a picture of the food inside and put it on the door and said everytime you take something out, cross it off the picture!!! this way you won t keep running up the light bill!!!) lmaoooooo... Thats a winning formula in itself..This show shouldn t have to grow on you. The Bernie Mack show is gone and this is actually perfect timing. Its not CSI Miami with people killing each other or investigating murders it s a family show. And it s actually funny. And to the person who commented on the pauses in between the lines...who made you a director? How about if they went back and fourth quickly with their lines we would miss a good joke trying to rewind it with on demand etc every 2 mins. I like to hear a good joke clearly, let the audiece laugh and then someone throw back another. You ve obviously never had a joke off or been in what we call in harlem(dissin each other lol). You can t say a joke and whild everybody is laughing at what you said about the other person have the other person say something right back until the crowd calms down... it s common sense. SMH@ you. And the comment the kid made about,"we don t want lessons we want money" LMAOOOOOO that shhh is funny as heyell!!! See this show for what it is and enjoy it as I will. fyi mq is for movie quote.

June 02 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Telly's comment
Sunday

@ Telly - Well Telly, this is a comment section where we are all entitled to our opinions. IF you actually read and COMPREHENDED my post, I did say that I thought the writing was good. I actually DID find them to be funny - and I didn't even see the movie version. I just stated that I felt as though the actors waited too long (paused) between their lines. This is what happens when you inject a laugh track. Which is why I seldom enjoy sitcoms. One does not have to be a director in order to express their opinion, you know. IMO, a good sitcom will be able to deliver the lines (SLOW enough for YOUR brain) so their point is made, while filling in the laugh-track time with facial expressions in order to create a smooth transition to what their going to say next. "Everybody Loves Raymond" comes to mind when I think of a brilliant sitcom. Listen, I'm not implying that I'm right - I'm just saying what I like about a good sitcom and what bugged ME about this one. *Chill*

June 02 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sunday

I thought the writing was good, but why did the actors hesitate/pause a lot between their lines? I hate that - to me, it makes the clip sound lame. I know there's a laugh track, but it's obvious that they're waiting for it after they say their lines. I think that kind of ruins it. JMO.

June 02 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sunday's comment
Jahbrielle

Sitcoms are like plays, and in theater there are always beats in between lines...especially with this, because they are in front of a live audience, although there is a little bit of canned laughter placed in. . . Also, later on when there is huge laughter, an actor always has to wait for the audience to laugh before they continue or go on to the next line.

June 02 2010 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply