November 26, 2014

'ThunderCats' to Prowl Cartoon Network in 2011

by Chris Jordan, posted Jun 2nd 2010 6:39PM
You can't keep a good ThunderCat down.

The Cartoon Network has announced a new version of 'ThunderCats,' the classic '80s cartoon about a group of cat-like super-powered aliens from the planet Thundera.

The series will be produced by Warner Bros. Animation and will use anime-style animation.

"The new 'ThunderCats' will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise,'' Warner Bros. Animation said in a press release, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The original ThunderCats debuted in 1985 and was produced by Rankin/Bass Productions. A TV movie, 'ThunderCats -- HO!', was made in 1986 and there have been subsequent comic book versions of the series, which revolve around the noble Prince Lion-O's ascension to his people's throne. He holds the mighty Eye of Thundera, which is embedded in his sword.

"As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode,'' the studio said.

The new series is expected to debut in 2011.

trish

Well if they are bringing back Thunder Cats (to bad it isn't the original), then I wish they would bring back He Man and Sheria AND Inspector Gadget (the old ones NOT the new ones, the art stinks on the new Gadget). My handicaped son is 29 going on 8 (and he can pick up on good and bad art) and he just loves these, but his VSH tapes of them are showing wear n' tear. He can't grasp why they have stupid powder puffs and two stupid dogs and the like (they are SO stupid) and they took off HIS favorite cartoons, so all he has is Scooby Doo. I'd GLADLY BUY these cartoons if they were for sale for him, PLEASE either put it on TV or sell them on CD's. If any one out there knows who I can get in touch with please let me know.

June 06 2010 at 12:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to trish's comment
nalikar

Broadstripe has the hub channel, which shows the old He-Man and She-Ra shows.

July 29 2011 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r

First episode is THUNDERCATS BATTLE THE EVIL PITBULL TERRIER

June 06 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tee

Oh this is awesome...I can't wait to go sliding across the floor air guitaring to the theme song again! okay well...my kids will this time around I'll just watch.

June 06 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margaret duhon

Thundercats, what @#$%^&!joke. Cartoon Network sucks and doesn't even play anything decent. I wouldn't even let my kids watch it, if I had any. Its a total insult. Cartoon Network needs to play things like Buggs Bunny Road Runner show, Archie's Fun House, Jetsons, Josi & The Pussycats, Snoopy, Batman.
None of this crap like any of these Smut cartoons of today!

June 06 2010 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to margaret duhon's comment
Barbara

I completely agree with you I think the cartoons have gotten way out of hand as far as language and seuxal overtones. I had cable turned off in my home over a year ago and it doesnt even phase my kids I dont have video games so they are outside playing and playing games I did when I was younger like freeze tag mother may I things like that and other imagination games When I do let them watch shows it is on the computer and they love the old tv shows like chico and the man, bugs bunny, sylvester and tweety, tom and jerry different strokes, whats happening there are so many out there this way I monitor what they are watching. So many of the older tv shows had morals to them I loved fat albert there was always a moral behind that why dont they bring back those shows instead of the trash they call tv now

June 06 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

Why the thundercats! Why not Sailor Moon!!!

June 06 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argonaut80

I, too, had a crush on Cheetara...however, I was in my twenties! I had heard they were talking about doing a live-action movie. Gabrielle Union for Cheetara!

June 06 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chriskulbeda

COOL!

June 06 2010 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aloysha

No the 80's were fine...in the 80's. Now that all of the kids of that time HAVE children they've got to age the rest of us who don't by inundating their children with what they grew up on. Instead of just appreciating it they are playing dress up and Hollywood is cashing in on the trend through endless, tired remakes. Since children are the perfect mimickers we now have this reahashing of all that was once original. How about teaching your children how to innovate instead of teaching them to usurp your culture and water it down. Look out the 90's are next.

June 06 2010 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to aloysha's comment
S.B.1 Gone Plaid

Why yes. YyyES! The 90's are next. Bwah Ha ha hA HAaaaahhhhh! Soak it up in all its watery goodness.

June 06 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Why "revive" anything from the 80's? A decade best forgotten!

June 06 2010 at 7:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nick's comment
Bill

Never forget the past. It has something to teach everyone. Look up what happened on Oct. 23, 1983. IN honor of the 241 US Servicemen who perished on that day from a terrorist bombing. Too bad noone took actions to stop this madness back then. We wouldn't have all this terrorist action of date, Semper Fidelis (always Faithful). DON"T EVER FORGET THE PAST.

June 06 2010 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Why a remake, just unleash the original, the remake will be just as bad as Scooby Doo, Superfriends, Transformers and any other cheap knock-off remake, what is wrong with these people?

June 06 2010 at 7:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
anita

michael i havnt watched any of the new transformers cartoons admittedly.... but im sorry the two new transformers movies i liked VERY much watch the original animated transformers movie it has plot holes you could drive optimus prime through though the animation was SUPERB and i love it very much plot wise the new movies are far better and the special affects are good to go back and read some of the old transformer comics the new movies stuck true to the SPIRIT of the genre at least

June 06 2010 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply