October 21, 2014

G4's Olivia Munn Trying Out For 'Daily Show'

by Scott Harris, posted Jun 4th 2010 11:20AM
Olivia Munn made her first appearance on Comedy Central's 'Daily Show' last night and judging by the results, well ... the jury is still out.

Munn, for those of you who are lacking in geek cred, is one of the co-hosts of G4s flagship series 'Attack of the Show.' Now, however, she is branching out into other endeavors, including what, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Comedy Central is terming a "try out" for the role of 'Daily Show' correspondent.

So how did Munn do? She seemed maybe just a bit nervous in a sketch that cast her as the show's "Senior Asian Correspondent," but soldiered through with the help of, well, just about the entire 'Daily Show' cast, who congregated around her in what was essentially a Comedy Central hazing ceremony.

Whether or not this will lead to a long-term opportunity remains to be seen, though Munn, who would be come just the fifth female correspondent, is expected to tape more skits for Jon Stewart's nightly send-up of current affairs before filming begins on her new NBC sitcom, 'Perfect Couples.' But should Comedy Central bring her back in a larger role? Or is 'Attack of the Show' enough of a forum for her talents? Take a look at last night's 'Daily Show' appearance and decide for yourself:

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The Spilling Fields - Vietnamese Fisherman
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Picviewer

Attractive? Was Stevie Wonder the judge of that?

June 05 2010 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I live Munn but let's be honest: her talents are limited.

I imagine her sitcom goes bust and I think she's being stretched thin by Comcast because she's attractive and on the radar of a lot of entertainment tastemakers. I think she could eventually be a solid fit on TDS and I think she's run her course on AOTS but I fear the time she's shoved onto any show just for a bit of geek sex appeal

June 04 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

I'm a big fan of Munn, but her real problem is she can't read prompter well (anyone remember "McHammer?" youtube it). That's what I noticed last night rather than nerves, though I'm sure they were there too.

She's actually much better for the filmed pieces where there's memorization rather than site reading.

Joel McHale is like this too. Much better actor than host. Though still a pretty good host.

June 04 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I am pretty sure that by watching G4 you loose all of your geek cred.

June 04 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric H's comment
RJ

Agreed. Although they were nice enough to let TWiT broadcast live from E3 even though they have the sole rights to streaming live.

June 04 2010 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

As a middle aged geek, I'm a big fan of Olivia's. This will provide more opportunities to see her.

June 04 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply