November 27, 2014

'Flashpoint' - 'One Wrong Move' (Season Premiere) Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 5th 2010 8:40AM
Flashpoint: One Wrong Move(S03E01) "The fifth rule is to break the rules when you have to. Job's about what? Yeah, saving lives." - Spike

If you haven't checked out 'Flashpoint' yet, now is the perfect opportunity. Season three premiered last night, and I had to keep running the DVR back because I'd get so engrossed in the story that I'd forget to take notes.

The show falls somewhere between 'The Hurt Locker,' 'Southland' and '24' in its gritty detail about life in a Toronto-based Strategic Response Unit, where, as the title of this episode suggests, one wrong move can mean the difference between life and death.

Enrico Colantoni told TV Guide
that the show is really finding its stride, and I have to agree. This episode really brought it. Bombs, environmental protesters, and a heartbreaking decision all crashed together. Did you see the ending coming? I had a feeling something tragic would happen. Dang!

They couldn't have picked a better time to air this episode, in terms of real life meeting TV land. I kept wondering if British Petroleum is getting bomb threats. But I didn't really think the environmental group on the show would go that route. Their plan to "take things to the next level" involved an Internet campaign, not more violence. That makes sense.

How ironic that the Kominskis had gotten out of the protesting business to protect their daughter, and she was the one who was helping Rafer Alston plant the bombs. Other than the tense ending, the scene that most stood out for me was when Sgt. Parker was trying to talk Rafer into putting down the syringe. And even after he'd run himself up, Parker was right over there trying to get the goods on how to defuse the bombs, cool as a cucumber. Until he lost Rafer and then it wasn't so pretty. I just have to think that's what those guys are like in that situation. They've got to get one-on-one with the person at the flashpoint.

Land mines on domestic soil -- yes, it happens. What I loved about the storyline with Lewis stepping on the landmine was, well, everything. First, you've got a guy who's not a crack bomb defuser, but with Spike's help, he's right there willing to give it go. "I've seen you do it," he told Spike. "I can handle a pair of cutters."

Once he steps on that land mine, you knew his goose was cooked, and so did he. But he defused the bomb anyway, which probably gave him something to focus on besides the panic. Then you've got the rest of the team switching to channel four so Lew doesn't hear them debating about how awful the situation is. But, of course, he's no dummy. He figures it out.

Once Lew realizes that things seem pretty hopeless, he knows that any plan of action would likely take both him and Spike out, so he does the noble thing and releases the trigger when Spike heads back to work out the weight transfer plan. Braddock knew it would never work. He'd seen those in a war zone.

Spike wasn't about to give up -- like he said, "I know there's a way. There's always a way." In one respect, I wish Lew would have held out to at least try the plan. Then again, you just knew the inevitable would happen and they'd both die. He couldn't let that happen. So he called his family and took the fall. Ack.

So while all this is going on, I absolutely loved the camera shots from above Lew's head, looking down and seeing him standing there with the bomb in front of him and the surrounding landscape like a Japanese meditation garden with the sands raked in circular formations. It's just all so perfect and tragically ironic.

One thing that bugged me about this episode, though, is that neither Spike nor Lewis had any headgear on while they were defusing those bombs. I kept thinking that if Lewis had protective gear a la 'The Hurt Locker,' he might be able to survive a blast. Or not. Someone more familiar with land mines can weigh in.

And, of course, the last scene with Sgt. Parker holding onto a bereft Spike was both emotional and heartbreaking.

I look forward to reading your thoughts about 'Flashpoint.' Did you love this episode as much as I did?

(Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.)

GaryJay

The show is GREAT! The episode was good. Certainly very emotional. But Lew's character was a great one with the team. I'm wondering why they "killed him off." Was it really just for the benefit of the storyline or did Mark Taylor want to move on.

July 04 2010 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flashpointwatcher

I'm glad to read a positive review of this great show. Most reviews I have read are only lukewarm positive about the show, but I believe those reviewers simply miss the nuances that make this show uniquely good. Hopefully Flashpoint will attract a large enough viewership that CBS will put it in its primetime fall schedule. For those who missed the first 2 seasons, they are available on DVD, although the DVD sets are rather expensive for the number of episodes they contain (22 between the two sets). For the more adventurous, all seasons (including season 3) are also available via bittorrent.

June 12 2010 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

LOVE this show! Enrico Colantoni (I hope that I got his name right!) is such a great actor. And how can you not dig HUgh Dillon, so handsome!

I will say, as soon as Lew stepped on that landmine, I knew he was going to die. But I held out hope. As soon as Spike said, "There's a way." And Lew said, "Yes, there is." I knew what he was going to do, but for some reason it was when he called his parents that I just lost it. I kept thinking, such a good looking, guy and he didn't have someone special to call, and now he never well. (Yes, I know it is just a TV show, but how many times has that same thing played out overseas with some young man or woman?) REally just a great show, and I agree with everyone else, if this is considered just a summer filler show, I'll take this over a lot of the 'regular shows' on TV now.

June 06 2010 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

A helmet would not have helped. Those land mines are designed to have a small charge that lifts it out of the ground then it explodes. It would have torn him to shreds, helmet or full body armor would not have helped. I read the interview with Colantoni and he said the show airs in Canada and they have already aired these episodes already up there. Love this show.

June 06 2010 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faviola

om my god! i had never cried so much in my life. it really was emotional and heartbreaking. when spike was telling lew about the possible way to get him off the mine, i knew it was not going to happen, but part of me was wishing it was possible. ans when spike falls to the ground...no words to describe the pain i felt with him too. they are so good they make me love to hate them. part of me want to stop watching it, the other part is excited for next wweks episode and the whole season. last night was tragic, but epic.

June 05 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

Agreed, we fell in love with this series when it first came out as a summer replacement show. It's far too good to be just a replacement. And I loved the tension of the season premiere.

One small dislike...I wish the interaction during Rafer Alston's suicide would have been more medically believable. Injecting that small of an amount of air would not have killed him and getting it actually INTO a vein with a blind stick like they showed would have been pretty impossible. The dialog during that time was fine however the actions just made me laugh (not in a good way).

Loved the "Zen Garden" where the last bomb was planted too.

And what about the quality of the shows that are now considered "summer replacements" ? They are awesome with Flashpoint, Leverage, Dexter.. several others that I can't remember right now...lol It's like having the best of all worlds!!!

June 05 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn

I very much enjoy this show, but I am very upset that they killed off a main character. I enjoy it when a show has characters/actors that fit well together and then they have to go and mess it all up!

June 05 2010 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

I'm so pleased that CBS has continued to air Flashpoint episodes. It's one of those shows that never gets the attention it deserves and I, for one, intend to watch every single new episode.

Love this episode. Very well-acted, great tension, and a heartbreaking end. Spike's reaction to Lew's death was gut-wrenching, and rang true. The actors in this show are excellent!

June 05 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Robert,
The show was originally broadcast on Canadian TV. I saw this episode sometime last year. I good series, I hope they are continuing to produce new episodes...

June 05 2010 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
snowy2004

Flashpoint has been renewed by its Canadian broadcaster CTV for a 4th season.

June 05 2010 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJ

IMDB has this listed as 3 seasons done. Was this shown somewhere else and brought over to the US? I want to catch up to the show, but I only want to catch up to what is shown here.

June 05 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply