September 21, 2014

'Stargate Universe' - 'Incursion: Part 1' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 5th 2010 9:15AM
Stargate Universe: Incursion: Part 1(S01E19) "A pyramid! That takes me back." - Lt. General Jack O'Neill

Jane here, filling in for Mike. I reviewed a few episodes of 'Stargate Universe' at the beginning of the season, and it's fascinating to see how much the show has evolved since then.

It took a long time to get rolling, focusing on character development in the first part of the season. But this episode, the second to the last, included lots of action and gunfire -- but not overly so -- mixed in with the drama and angst. I like that.

Last fall, I compared the show to 'Firefly,' and while surfing around tonight, I found Mike's post from last spring noting that show creator Robert C. Cooper said he indeed took some cues from 'Firefly,' with the handheld cameras and unconventional locations and angles.

After tonight's ep, though, 'Stargate Universe' seems less like 'Firefly' and more of an entity unto itself. It's coming into its own, and the comparisons to other shows are fading. It's a space show, though, so it's probably always going to be compared to other space shows like 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'Star Trek.'

Great opening scenes with Col. Young calm and cool as Telford was dying inside the room. Everyone else was going nuts, including Wray, frantically trying to get him to restore the atmosphere and accusing him of murdering not only Telford, but Dr. Rush, as well.

But Young knew what he was doing. He wasn't bluffing. He needed to kill Telford to de-activate the brainwashing and, in the process, learn the truth: "They're coming," gasped Telford, after he was resuscitated. "The Lucian Alliance is coming to take Destiny."

You've got to hand it to Telford, though, wanting Young to send him back because he knew he'd be more useful there, and trying not to think about all the horrible things he'd done under the influence. It's like he had to re-stock the karma bank. Don't you think the Alliance would have been onto him, though? I mean, first he tries to take 12 people with him onto the ship -- at which point Kiva yelled "Six!" -- and once there, he makes some excuse to log into a computer to figure out where they're going, thus inputting his code and alerting the crew.

Man, though. I was sweating bullets from that beginning scene to the end. On one side, you've got Commander Kiva and her people taking prisoners (including T.J. -- ack! -- I hyperventilated when Kiva pointed the gun at her). And on the other, you've got Young and the crew hashing out how best to handle the situation and avoid collateral damage in the process.

Of course, I always love seeing Richard Dean Anderson. The pep talk to Young was cool ("Then get your ass back there!"), and the crack about the pyramid was awesomely geeky.

I also loved the side trip by Eli and Chloe. At first it seemed odd that the particular part of the ship hadn't been explored yet, but, of course, it wouldn't because as Eli explained, life support hadn't been activated there and why would it? They'd want to conserve what power they had.

I've gotta give props to David Blue; Eli's always been one of my favorite characters on the show, just because he's funny and nerdy and different from the rest of the crew. He was trying to do the manly thing and carry Chloe to safety, even though you could tell he was freaked about the blood and gunshot wound, and about ready to bust a heart valve lugging her around.

Ripped from the headlines quote: "In our society, the military takes orders from civilian leadership." - Wray

And nice effects on the implosion of the Alliance guy. There's something you don't see every day.

What did you guys think about this episode? Next week: the finale.

(Follow @jboursaw on Twitter.)

zippy_zip74467

I really liked this episode, and hope that there will be more LDP next year.

June 06 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

I was expecting at the end of the episode while the two who should be spaced, Chloe and Eli well really just Chloe, to stumble onto a door. The locks start to spin and opens to some Ancient or alien otherwise who speaks perfect english of course saying What are you doing on my ship? Well there's always next weeks season end cliffhanger for that I suppose. That or I'm expecting the aliens who were chasing the ship to popup again.

June 06 2010 at 2:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrWho

While I love Rhona Mitra, I'm not at all thrilled with the new story developments that tie in with the old SG story lines and mythology. There is a reason why the old series ended - they'd run their course - and why a new and (for the most part, mythologically) unrelated series took their place. They should stick with being on Destiny, dealing with new aliens and threats, while keeping a focus on internal character dynamics and conflicts. Oh, and they should also drop the damn stones!

June 05 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tense

Can someone tell me, WTF the Alliance wants with a ship that is so far away? Now they are trapped on Destiny along with the earthlings. Why bother?

While I'm nitpicking, They do seem to have a endless ammo supply.

I'm hoping that Destiny is finally waking up and we'll have a "My Mother the Ship" kinda thing..

June 05 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tense's comment
jayemeff

I thought the exact same thing. Destiny is probably the oldest piece of ancient technology that's been found. I don't see the big deal about it.

June 07 2010 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mickbw

OMG, my favorite line was Eli recounting his arduous hiking trip. In world of warcraft

June 05 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Does this mean Telford is going to stay on the ship?

June 05 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lisa's comment
LC

Maybe, but I'm betting he may die.

June 05 2010 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

SG-U must be failing big time if they've had to bring in anyone from the original Stargate series. Couldn't get interested in it beyond the first couple of episodes. I guess it's me and other fans of the original series that they're hoping to coax into watching by bringing in characters from the original series.

June 05 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to John F.C. Taylor's comment
LC

They have had people from the original, from time to time, since the first episode.

It makes sense though, since they regularly go to Stargate command via the stones and O'Neil is still in charge and presumably SG-1 is still intact since we last saw them.

June 05 2010 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathaniel

Actually, the integration of SG-1 characters has been very organic. I feel like I'm genuinely watching something new that's going on in the world of Stargate now, a few years post-SG-1. And the tie-ins to previous SG-1 storylines have been really cool.

So I take it you've already given up on the series? I'm sure you're tired of hearing this from SGU fans by now, but I really do think you'll enjoy it if you pick up where you left off and give the second half of the season a chance.

June 06 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joshua

I thought the shield was failing and it let in radiation that disintegrated the alliance guy. I think it is related to the trouble the were having at the end, and also the reason Destiny hasn't jumped back into FTL. It's going to be a bigger problem to solve than the standoff.

I also hope we get more of Lou Diamond Phillips!

June 05 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I was thinking the same thing about the Lucian Alliance & Voyager, I really hope they don't go there.
On a side note now that Telford is on Destiny does that mean we'll see more of Lou Diamond Phillips next season.

June 05 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

The Alliance guy didn't implode ... he disintegrated. It was probably some defensive tool the ship has ... and it will probably be the guy who disappeared when sitting in the chair.

As long as they don't let the Lucian Alliance members join the rest of them ala Star Trek Voyager ... that would be lame. They need to maroon them somewhere.

June 05 2010 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply