November 21, 2014

Vanessa Marcil Returning to 'General Hospital' -- For Real!

by Allison Waldman, posted Jun 7th 2010 9:40AM
vanessa_marcil_smiling_nbcIt's official: On Aug. 11, Vanessa Marcil will reprise her Emmy-winning portrayal as Brenda Barrett on the ABC soap 'General Hospital,' according to a report in this morning's USA Today.

Brenda will reportedly return to Port Charles with a big secret that is likely to cause major drama. Sonny (Maurice Benard) and Jax (Ingo Rademacher) should keep their eyes especially peeled, as Brenda has a romantic history with them both.

"True to form, Brenda arrives in Port Charles with a secret that will impact Sonny, Jax and Jason. 'General Hospital' has always been dedicated to the strong history of our characters. Fans and viewers alike will be thrilled with her storyline and will agree that her return was worth waiting for," said Brian Frons, president, daytime, Disney/ABC Television Group, today in a statement.

"I feel so lucky to continue to be allowed to visit 'General Hospital' and honor where I came from," said Marcil. "I am humbled by these great people and a character that I truly love."

Brenda has been mentioned occasionally on 'GH' of late; she is presumably living abroad. When last seen in Port Charles, Jax had left her at the altar because he'd seen her kissing Sonny. Broken-hearted, Brenda asked Jason to drive her to the airport and she flew away never to return again -- until now.

In the May 4 issue of Soap Opera Digest, head writer Bob Guza said that 'GH' has been working overtime to get Marcil, who left the show in 2003, to return. At the time, he said, "I just spoke to her (Vanessa) today. We are talking to Vanessa Marcil as we speak. That is the truth. I cannot go any further right now. She's interested. We're interested, but I will say if Vanessa wanted to come back, even for one day, we'd make it work ... We'll have to talk again in the coming weeks."

Marcil originally appeared on 'GH' as Brenda in 1992 and was an integral part of the show for a decade. She was nominated for a Daytime Emmy four times, and won once in 2003. In the years since leaving the soap, she appeared on many primetime television shows, including 'Spin City,' 'Without A Trace' and 'Las Vegas,' on which she was a regular.

Lynette

Does anyone remember her coming back a while back with a TERRIBLE storyline? Jax was involved with Skye at the time and Skye went all crazy on them. I remember Brenda had an awful and very boring plot and it was almost good that she left AGAIN because it was pretty sad to watch her have to act out such dumb scenes. Is that the last time she left 2003? I don't remember Jax leaving her at the alter again then, I just remember Skye going cuckcoo bananas!! :)

August 11 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bev

General Hospital puts the other soap operas to shame. I am so happy Brenda will be returning to GH.

August 09 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARY

If I wasn't loyal to the show, and was updated about OLTL or AMC, I would stop watching GH for good. My Mother watched it with me for a few years before she passed and she loved Sonny, hated Carly. As far as VM is concerned, I could do without her face on the screen. There is something about her that I do not like, even when I've seen her on talk shows and the like. I think she is conceited and reminds me in a way of the Kardashian dummies. Laura would make a nice appearance for a few weeks, but we will be seeing Franco soon, too. I truly feel that GH is at its lowest peak right now. They need to do something fast - writers changed, whatever is necessary. This prison stuff is a joke, as was the trial. And now that Brook Lynn or New York or whatever her name is, has returned and bitchy Carly wants her to ruin it for Dante and Lulu, that is really going way too far. The actress is a professional singer and song writer and does a great job, but I don't want to see her at this time. Let her cook at the Metro Court instead of Dante's apartment. For once, I would love to see a soap have something decent, true and loving happen; I say, let it alone.

June 14 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy

I think Franco is going to put some excitement to the show. Helena stilling a spencer baby come on lets get some eciting new story lines you keep going in circles.This Michael thing has gone on long enough.Lets give spinelli some real excitement hes a trip he puts life in the show when u use him

June 14 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I used to love GH. Now it sucks! Dante is a jerk and him and LULU is a cheesy storyline. Quit ganging up on Sonny and have these characters take responsibility for their own choices. Elizabeths character used to be great but OMG who the heck is writing this garbage? I miss the old GH. I used to love the show but its moving very slow and in the wrong direction. I know its not real but it at least it was an enjoyable escape from "real life", now I guess I can vaccuum or wash the dishes at 3 pm.

June 14 2010 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Southern Girl

Sorry I forgot to say I hate the whole Kristina story line it is boring. Who cares why this spoiled little girl who caused all of her own problems doesn't like her daddy mobster or not. She is a pain. I liked the other Michael better, they should not have fired him for this guy. Let Lucky find out he is the father of Liz's baby I am sick of Nicholas as well, they need to ensure that after Liz has this baby she can't have anymore for one reason or another. Tired of the Patrick jealousy over his ex-girlfriend storyline too he and Robin have to much invested for him to act like such a jerk even though Robin could be a better wife. Let Jason and Sam get married and have her somehow get pregnant with a baby for Jason one he can claim. Love JaSam. Hated Jason with Liz she belongs to Lucky.

June 13 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Southern Girl

General Hospital is the best soap but some of the story lines are old. They never let anyone stay happy look at Robin and Patrick, Maxie and Spinelli, Carly and Jaxs, come one some people stay happily married. I like Sonny and Jason now I didn't use to like them. Have Kristina grow up she hates her dad and doesn't believe him yet believes Johnny another mobster. Why doesn't Dante tell everyone how she tried to make him sleep with her to get pregnant to make Sonny stay with her and why doesn't Olivia tell Johnny what his sister did to her? Maybe then he would stop treating her like a saint. I welcome Brenda back maybe it will give Sonny someone to be with.

June 13 2010 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

I LOVED Vanessa in "Vegas" and was part of the baby bootie petition to keep it on the air since it left us viewers hanging! I am SOOO glad she will be back on Daytime! GH has some strong women on this show -- Thank God!

June 09 2010 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Dang! COMMENT - I can't control my fingers today, sorry!!!!!

June 08 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

Oops - typo - ridiculous. Also, I forgot to commemnt on Vanessa's return to GH - Hey, IT AIN'T THE FIRST TIME!!!! What's the big deal? She'll come in, do her thang, and be gone again! Who wants to invest anything in her character, knowing how "flighty" Vanessa is? I don't think so!

June 08 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply