September 1, 2014

Fox Cancels 'Past Life' (Again)

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jun 9th 2010 9:30AM
Past LifeFor the next two weeks, FOX will be airing reruns of 'The Good Guys' on Friday nights in place of 'Past Life,' according to Variety.

Supernatural detective series 'Past Life' was canceled back in February after only three episodes had been aired. FOX has been showing the remaining episodes on Friday nights, with the last two due to be aired on June 11 and 18. However, execs have now decided to cancel the series (again), replacing it with repeats of 'House' and 'The Good Guys.'

'The Good Guys' is a comedy-drama about an old-school, hard-drinking cop (Bradley Whitford) who's been paired with a young, ambitious cop with an attitude problem (Colin Hanks). Despite generally good reviews, the pilot episode of the Dallas-set show didn't generate huge ratings, winning only a marginally larger audience than a rerun of 'Lie to Me' in the same time slot the previous week.

FOX hopes to give the new show a boost by pairing it with 'House' reruns on Friday nights. Previously aired episodes from season 6 of 'House' will be shown at 8PM ET Friday nights, with repeats of the previous Monday's episodes of 'The Good Guys' being shown at 9PM ET.

New episodes of 'The Good Guys' air on FOX, Mondays at 9PM ET. The show will then return in the fall, on Fridays at 9PM ET. (More on that here.)

jf

I'm not sure how rerunning a show that barely makes ratings behind reruns of another show that as a rerun will draw less than 1/3 its original audience, particularly on Friday night, officially one of the worst nights on television because no on watches. I really want to know what the hell they think at all. Some of the best shows of the past season have already been cancelled. Major networks suck! It's all on cable networks now: Burn Notice, White Collar, Justified, True Blood, Tremé, you name it. It's all way better than network & actually runs at least a season before they pull it. Networks are just crap anymore, every last one of them.

June 12 2010 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
admiral1701jb

i personally liked LIE TO ME, BUT I KIND OF WISH THEY WOULD DO MORE SHOWS WITH THE STUDY OF HUMAN NATURE / CONDITION, AND SHOW MORE OF THE ''TELL TAIL'' FACIAL EXPRESSIONS. ( LIES. STRESS, EMOTIONAL FACTORS) THAT IN ITS SELF IS A USEFUL THING TO USE WHEN WORKING WITH THE PUBLIC, CO-WORKERS, ETC. HECK THE WRITERS COULD REDO ALL THE ROCKFORD FILES TV SHOWS WITH NEWER CHARATERS. AND PPL WOULD BE STUPIFIED.

June 09 2010 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to admiral1701jb's comment
jpuzzlewhiz

The words are "telltale" (one word, not two), "itself," (again, one word,not two) and "characters" (you forgot a C). Learn how to spell.

June 09 2010 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Thank you commenters! I've been reading rave reviews for The Good Guys on tvsquad that made me think they had a boatload of money in it.

June 09 2010 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katydid579

Ha! I assumed they were cancelling glum peckerhead's lying rant show. No such luck.

June 09 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon Andrews Versailles, Missouri

I tried to watch Good Guys, and it couldn't even keep my interest. I wish they would take over Ghost Wisperer too, I really like that show.

June 09 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
glitcat

I thought both were entertaining. Past Life is a little slow sometimes but it takes me away from my messed up life for a short while. the Good Guys is stupid but it makes me laugh and that is all I need.

June 09 2010 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori K

What!? Past Life is fantastic. I hope all the episodes are released on dvd soon. The Good Guys was boring, I have no intention of watching it again.

June 09 2010 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lawrence fishberg

dumb show, on a dumb station, made for the viewing pleasure of idiots.

June 09 2010 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lawrence fishberg's comment
Ben

Fox isn't a dumb network/station as you have claim which is a lie.

June 09 2010 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Knowing that Friday night is the worst night of television, why the hell would they air a new show at that time, trying to generate interest? Re-runs or not.

June 09 2010 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene Stahl

Past Life is such a great show, I can't believe that they are taking it off the air. They would rather rerun a show than show something that is fresh and new. This show had an interesting storyline and wonderful actors. I know we all have different ideas, but it really hurts when your favorite is canceled. Please play them on Hulu. Momdarlene

June 09 2010 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply