October 31, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A 'Lion King' Theme for Poodle and Owner on 'Extreme Poodles' (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Jun 14th 2010 4:27AM
Lion Poodle, Baboon Owner on 'Extreme Poodles'Is this one of those so-bad-it's-good shows? Pathetic programming, but oddly captivating? You decide.

While some might think "Abused Poodles" a better title, the premiere of 'Extreme Poodles' (Sun., 9PM ET on TLC) offered us some dogs dyed various colors, lots of questionable yet creative grooming, and the extreme owners who are to blame.

Among the contestants in a pageant, Falcor has been given a 'Lion King' theme, with his head like Simba and his haunches dyed to look like a zebra's and a giraffe's, respectively. Falcor's owner is dressed as wise Rafiki the baboon -- with a plastic red baboon butt attached to the back of her dress. Seriously.

"Falcor, he rules," says the owner of her canine's "king of the safari" win. Well, he doesn't rule the jungle, but he does rule the world of competitive dog grooming.

Watch Popeater's 'Extreme Poodles' photo shoot below, then click through exclusive photos here.

LALA

I think they look different, but I believe too that they are not abused animals. We have a toy poodle too and she feels so much happier when all that hair comes off. I bet all the abused animals would love to be treated like those dogs were.

June 14 2010 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonbon

Animal abuse? What in the world could possibly be construed as animal abuse in doing some creative grooming. How many of you complaining about this actually watched the show? The dogs love being groomed and you could tell by how patient and still they were. Now, can someone tell me where we can send these weird people who think these animals are being 'abused'? Sheesh!

Why not just leave them out in the wild with no domestication at all? If that's what God intended, why do we even bring them into our homes, feed them, and give them love and medical attention? Some people just need something to complain about.

June 14 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I stopped being a groomer for health reasons . But I also did not agree with the practice of pulling the excess hair out of their ears . Of course it hurt and often bled when this was done . No onder so many dogs were tranquelized at the groomers and tried to bite . Oh , but they love it .... rubbish.

June 14 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melinda

My dogs would hate me.

June 14 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldyoko

Although I would never do this to a dog, I don't think it's abuse. I have a golden retriever who doesn't care what you do to her (in the sense of "dressing" her up, be it a new bandana or some fairy wings from a Halloween costume). Honestly she seems to like the attention. Now dyeing her hair is something I won't do, but I don't think she'd care. Besides I doubt the dogs can tell whether their hair is a natural color or if it's hot pink. To them it's just a shade of grey.

June 14 2010 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Please, people who are calling this animal abuse seriously need a reality check. These animals are not being hurt, starved or neglected. So they have to wear a silly costume, most of them probably like the attention and if not they will get over the fact that they had to look silly for a day, at least they have owners who care about them enough do bring them to these shows, and aren't just leaving them tied out in their backyard all day.

4 million shelter/ pound animals are euthanized in america EVERY YEAR. I bet you all 4 million of those poor creatures would prefer to participate in a hair cut than live the lives they were subjected to.

Abuse? I think not.

June 14 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
archimidae

This is "AWFUL..." people get a life!

June 14 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m0ng00se

Dogs like their genitalia then you like their tongues. They stink your house and furniture and crap the rugs, and YOU pick it up with your kitchen sponge and put it back in the sink. They ruin and stink your car and drip spit all over. They poke your crotch and hump your guests.
Conclusion?? Dogs suck...

June 14 2010 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to m0ng00se's comment
Sam

Then why would you read this article.

And your attitude sucks btw..

Any dog is probably better looking than you anyways.. you're just jealous!!

June 14 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally

You have to realize that dogs are color blind so have no idea of the ridiculous colors they are sporting and it's very doubtful they have little knowledge of what they look like in general. None of this nonsense harms the pet and it probably doesn't take much longer than regular clipping and bathing. The practice that is very painful but, while less popular than previously, is frequently still seen, is ear croping and I don''t like tail docking either, though if done very young by a skilled vet I guess it doesn't cause much discomfort.

June 14 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JM

This is really disgusting!!! I dont know WHAT these owners are thinking BUT maybe someone should groom THEM! Its awful, they are wonderful dogs ,cats animals just the way they are,you owners are SICK people get a life for cripes sake!!!!!

June 14 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply