October 22, 2014

Twice the Shopping: HSN2 Will Launch in August

by Sharon Knolle, posted Jun 14th 2010 8:00PM
Shopaholics, rejoice: HSN (aka the Home Shopping Network) is doubling the opportunity to pick up your phone and order that Jessica Simpson handbag right now!

The company announced today that it is starting a second 24-hour network in August. The New York Times reports that the new network, HSN2, will run repeats of HSN programs by TV pitchmen such as Wolfgang Puck and Todd English.

"The days of trying to get a consumer to come to you are over. You really have to be in the consumer's world, wherever, whenever and however," Mindy Grossman, the chief executive of HSN Inc., said in a telephone interview last week

The original HSN is available 24 hours a day (except Christmas) in 95 million homes. The new network will initially be broadcast to 14 million subscribers.

HSN2 will primarily feature repeats of HSN programming, however Grossman promised some original content as well: "We'll also be able to use HSN2 to test new concepts," she said.

Trish

the hertz 1 - Yes HSN is definitely not even Kmart. I had the same problem as you. I received a letter saying I could not put an order on "check" status because I cancelled too many of the orders when I changed my mind later. Also, they take your credits by "expiring" them if you return something and ask them to put it in merchandise credit. Then you have to scratch and claw to get them to put the money back in your account. Many people might forget they have those credits, and they just keep all that money. I suggest if you have to shop on tv... don't buy anything much from HSN. They are crooks. They showed a Fuji camera a couple years ago that they were saying has a "great zoom" when in movie mode... No doubt about it! Got the camera delivered, and that one had NO ability to zoom while in movie mode...only in picture taking. That was deliberate. QVC would never do that.

And WHEN is the government going to crack down on these cleaning demonstrations of various products so they cannot show "BAKED ON" grime and grease on pots and pans, etc., etc. just wipe away spotlessly clean, effortlessly? They must treat these props somehow .... Everyone knows when they get these products home, they never work on old, grimy dirt. Govt should look into these kinds of "set up" presentations.

June 15 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thehertz1

Yes, I have been with both of the shopping channels for 25+ years.I recently received a letter from HSN regarding so many returns.........SORRY CHARLIE......YOUR QUALITY SUCKS!! Your quality has gone downhill, like K-Mart! I will not be buying from you again!!

June 15 2010 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darla

Lizze, I agree 100% and I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on each channel.
My main complaint is that HSN
lies on TV saying you get things home for only $15 and you hear that from another room and believe that's the cost. Then when you read the screen that is only one payment of 2 or more. That is so darned slimy.
And that Andrew Lessman's vitamins are so overpriced! I just read an article that Lessman now owns 5 jet planes and sends free vitamins to Gaza & The West Bank, with his excessive profits.

June 15 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lizze2

I shop on both HSN and QVC. QVC is much better in every way. They are like Nordstrom and HSN is like K-Mart. However, neither one needs a second channel. There are too many ways to spend money via the TV already. Maybe there should be a channel dedicated to teaching us to save money and avoid being sucked in by shopping psychology. Both HSN and QVC are masters at creating artificial needs for their products. Thats how they stay in business.

June 15 2010 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trish

HSN is slippery. They have many customer service reps that give you bad information. When you return something and request it to be kept in HSN "merchandise credit" for future selections to buy, HSN puts an "expiration date" on your credits. If you are not sharp, and don't use your credits within a certain period of time.... HSN keeps them as expired. You can "fight" to get the credit restored, but this should never happen in the first place.

Also, HSN lies in a lot of their presentations. I bought a camera once that was presented with "zoom" while in movie mode. When I got the camera home, there was no ability to zoom in while taking a movie clip. So, they lied in their presentation.
QVC is MUCH more "above board", and is more on the up and up, with fine quality merchandise.

June 15 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lou

What we really need is another shopping channel. I do watch HSN occasionally but my satellite TV has what seems like hundreds of paid programming stations which I will never watch. Really annoying in the middle of a sleepless night. It is truly difficult to find anything interesting. Thank gosh for PBS but they sometimes are selling stuff too.

June 15 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

I quit buying from HSN because they charge state sales tax in states that don't require it. I'd rather buy at Target and save the shipping. I'd still have the same sales tax but it still ends up cheaper

June 15 2010 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply