December 19, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Thief in the Family on 'Deadliest Catch' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Jun 16th 2010 2:15AM
A Thief in the Family on 'Deadliest Catch'There are rough seas ahead. We're on board the good ship Cornelia Marie, but things aren't going so well on 'Deadliest Catch' (Tue., 9PM ET on Discovery).

[Spoiler alert.]

The boat is catching plenty of crab, but all of the work is causing Captain Phil Harris' back to act up. Meanwhile, his son Jake is slacking off and not doing his share of the fishing. Eventually, Phil can't take the back pain anymore, and goes downstairs to get his pain medication. ... Which is when he finds his son stealing his pills.

Captain Harris is enraged, and says this to Jake: "I want you out of my life." He calls Jake a thief and a liar, and tells his son that he wants nothing more to do with him once they get back to shore. Eventually, Jake breaks down and admits to his father that he's a drug addict.

The episode is made more poignant by our advance knowledge that this is Captain Harris' last season on the show. Phil Harris passed away this January, although all of the episodes featuring him have not yet aired. Here's hoping that he and his son managed to work everything out.

NY fan

No offense to any fans of Phil Harris or the Deadliest Catch community and all the boat captains who adore and admired him for hi legacy. But if you look at his legacy, it was nothing but evil.
I'm sick of people adoring and admiring this guy like he's a
re-incarnation of Jesus Christ.... he's far from it. He PACKS AND PACKS of cigarettes against his own son's wishes even when they would cry and beg him to stop,
how many times did his sons ask him to quit because they were
concerned... yet he laughed in their face and lit up another one. How
many times did he talk down to his son and belittle his son.. watch
the episode where he makes his son feel like complete crap by telling
him he's not good enought to run the boat... thats not how fathers are
supposed to treat their sons, then watch how his son almost cries when
his dad tells him that.. kind of cruel in my opinion. The younger son
was easier to target because of his immaturity and high emotional
attachment. Phil Harris was far
from a GOOD MAN and I think his sons are now much better off without him, they can start their own company without their abusive father, yea I said it.. ABUSIVE father.. abusing them and controling their every breath

July 05 2010 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NY fan

No offense to any fans of Phil Harris or what people think of him. I'm sick of people adoring and admiring this guy like he's a re-incarnation of Jesus Christ.... he's far from it. The man kept smoking PACKS AND PACKS of cigarettes against his own son's wills, how many times did his sons ask him to quit because they were concerned... yet he laughed in their face and lit up another one. How many times did he talk down to his son and belittle his son.. watch the episode where he makes his son feel like complete crap by telling him he's not good enought to run the boat... thats not how fathers are supposed to treat their sons, then watch how his son almost cries when his dad tells him that.. kind of cruel in my opinion. The younger son was easier to target because of his immaturity and high emotional attachment. I don't want to sugarcoat this but Phil Harris was far from a GOOD MAN

July 05 2010 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rbemben1

I'm addicted to food....it keeps me alive. By Moxie's definition, we're all addicts of "something". I AM angry at Jake who stole meds from his DAD. I guess that good, ole, Dad didn't mean that much to him, as Phil didn't even get an "I'm sorry!" I agree with the premise of the post.....nobody makes people do the stupid things that get them into trouble.....the logic just escapes me though.

June 23 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moxie

Ok everyone, lighten up. First of all I am a non smoking, non drugging, non drinking woman whose 33 year old son is an addict currently in prison. Captain Phil did not influence Jake to do wrong any more than I influenced my son to do wrong. We just don't have that much power over our kids, folks. Josh Harris has not been named an addict and Phil is his father too. Captain Phil exampled hard work, commitment, responsibility and honesty. His sons can chose any of those examples to follow. Jake chose the wrong thing. I feel truly that I have lost someone that I admire very much. Rest Captain, rest.

June 16 2010 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

Just for the record...when Phil stroked on the Cornelia Marie, he asked the camera crew to keep recording. He stated that "we need a good ending to the show" This was a guy who put everything out there for everyone to see and hear. If he didn't want it aired...it wouldn't have happened. Phil was a courageous man, and I for one am already missing him. Rest in peace Phil.

June 16 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stonerboy2

Why is everyone talking bout the airing of the episode...Its the damn article and video clip that is the issue.
If you watched the episode, and then the video or vice versa as in my case, you'd of seen there were/are discrepancies(sp)between the two.
the clip never showed Jake saying sorry to his dad when the door was still closed, and there were time lapses between that entire conversation.
Im so glad I watched this episode after the video, not only is the writer a complete incompetent writer,but also had to chop the clip to make Capt. Phil Harris look bad(most not be a fan), he loves his sons and they love him otherwise neither would be were they are.
He had his faults we all do..But he was a decent man a great Captain, and was beginning to know his sons as men not the little boys he was so often gone from(he even said that on older seasons)likewise as the boys.
I recall the night he died...was like being punched in the belly. Couldnt believe it, still sadden by it specially when ya can see him on tv knowing that there will be a time when we won't see him and he'll be just another ship passing in the night...

June 16 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

To Bill, you miserable loser, if not for REAL MEN like Capt.Harris, you and people like you would starve. You have neither the brains or the know how to do what these fishermen do. You depend on these people for your very life. You and other people like you who call them gap toothed ignorant losers couldn't even buy the equipment these men use, and in some cases lose due to storms on a daily basis. I would be willing to wager that you are a drug user yourself, hence the tendency you have to equate all others with drug abuse. You are insignificent compared with these brave heros who help feed this nation. Oh, one other thing I will suggest you do, call them gap toothed losers to their face, don't hide on here like the coward you are. For once in your life step up and be a man.

June 16 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vera

I honestly believe that LOTS of thought and consideration went into airing this father/son interaction. This was Phil's way to show us some harsh realities that may exist in some families. Right now my brother in law is dying. For reasons unknown to me, his children from a previous marriage do not want any contact with him. What I do know is this: I would give almost anything to see/hug my parents again and I love my son no matter what. I pray that Jake and Phil were able to make peace before Phil died.

June 16 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mac

Captain Phil had faults, we all do. However, the gauge to judge a man is not by his vices but how he treats his family. Phil Harris was a down to earth father and having walked in his shoes raising a wild teenage boy you may blow a fuse and say things in the heat of the moment but in your heart you would never give up. He had his work cut out for him raising those boys and running a crab boat. Phil never gave up nor would he. Captain Phil carries the respect of all the other captains and in millions of viewers that have raised loose cannons. My son is now a Marine proudly serving for his country but more importantly he has become a man in every sense. Phil kept everyone on his boat safe and made sure they had that paycheck. His boys were his true treasures and everyone new it including them. Bravo Captain, job well done.

June 16 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply