October 22, 2014

Discovery Channel to Honor Captain Phil Harris

by Rich Keller, posted Jun 16th 2010 1:40PM
Discovery Chennel will honor Captain Phil Harris of 'Deadliest Catch' with a series of specialsFour months after the untimely death of 'Deadliest Catch' star Captain Phil Harris, Discovery Channel has announced a series of specials that will honor the fishing boat commander.

According to Hollywood Insider, the June 22 episode of 'Deadliest Catch,' titled 'Blown Off Course,' will be the first to address Harris' death. That will be followed by a tribute to the captain on the July 13 installment of 'After the Catch.'

One week later, Discovery Channel will premiere 'Deadliest Catch: Captain Phil Harris Remembered,' featuring one-on-one interviews with Harris' sons, Josh and Jake, as well as the other fishing boat captains from the show.

Clark Bunting, president and general manager of Discovery Channel, says the specials will celebrate Harris' life and all that he touched during his time on 'Deadliest Catch.' Bunting goes on to say he is proud of the heart and emotion that the network's staff put into these very special tribute episodes.

Though Harris, who captained the crab fishing vessel Cornelia Marie, died of a stroke on Feb. 9 after off-loading his vessel at an Alaskan port, he has appeared in most of the episodes of the show's sixth season. There's no word from Discovery Channel if 'Deadliest Catch' will be renewed.

tom

i had my own demons when my dad died and it can drag you in deeper so be strong and if you need someone to talk to give me a call cause i had the same demons and i got through so if you want and need help call tom 604-504-5751 i know exactly what u r going through so please just call i can help sincerely yours tom

July 11 2010 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy Burcham

This was a very shocking and tear filled night for me. Do to my own health problems I have been unable to watch for awhile, but up until yhe end of last year I was a every week viewer. From the very beging Captain Phil Harris was without a dout my favorite. I watch tonigh with tears streaming dowm my face. He will be missed so much, and the show will never be the same.I wish only the best to Phil's family and friends. I know what it feels like to be "left behind". Rest in peace Phil, with calm seas and full crab pots. If any of Phil's family is reading this my heart and prays for what ever they are worth are going out to you. I know I don;t have to tell you but just from a small town country girl, he was a hell of a guy, and a hell of a skipper. I know I will miss him and at this point I don't even know if I can turn the show back on anymore. To everyone that knew him I could tell by all of your reactions how much Phil had touched each and everyone of your lives. Always remember that you had the privalige of knowing him while he was here. All my love and prays for all of you. Missy Burcham

June 30 2010 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
H

As a viewer, it was really sad to see him practically disown Jake for admitting his problem in yesterday's episode because we know what happens later. I hope this was a temporary fight that was resolved quickly. However, those of us who are outsiders can take this as a lesson about getting along with and loving your family; you never know what's around the corner.

June 16 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to H's comment
robert proper

Phil was a good man, and he did a great service to his part of the show. I hope thay don't take the show off, because of his untimely death. Death of any knid can happen in that line of work, and he is not yhe first. He knew he was dying, he was reaching out to his kids. After making up to jake and promising to get him help, and participate is huge. Let's all hope the family can resume the lively hood, and jake beats his deamons.

June 23 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

it was eerie when Phil said he wasn't going to live long in last week's episode

June 16 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

this season has been quite sad

June 16 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply