November 25, 2014

Five Shows I Used To Like (But Now Can't Watch)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 16th 2010 5:30PM
Rachael RaySometimes I feel guilty about dropping a show that I used to watch regularly. If I stop watching a show and start watching another show in the same time slot, can that be considered cheating? And then I realized that if I use the word "cheating" when describing my relationship with a TV show, that probably means I need a girlfriend.

But there are shows that we all outgrow. Shows that we used to watch all the time and then one day we suddenly say to ourselves, "You know what? I'm not going to watch this show anymore."

After the jump are the five shows that I can't watch anymore. In a way it's like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. It's five shows I don't have to worry about anymore! Now I can concentrate on the 125 other shows I watch every week.

1. 'Rachael Ray.' I've really, really tried to like Rachael Ray's daytime show. Unfortunately, I have a penis.

Hey, I know that the show is HEAVILY tilted towards women, but Ray's show has nothing at all for men. A typical episode will have a segment on how women can spice up their relationships, makeovers, shopping and maybe some sort of sex/health segment that will make men grimace. If men are lucky, there will be a celebrity that will chat with Ray at the start of the show, but even that is geared towards the women in the audience who spin around on the giant lazy Susan.

Even the cooking segments aren't given much time, usually it's something you see in the last 10-15 minutes of the show, which is odd considering that Ray is, you know, a cook. I'm so bored and irritated by her daytime show that it makes me not want to watch her 22 Food Network shows.

Kelly Ripa2. 'Live With Regis & Kelly.' I've been watching this show for 20 years, since Kathie Lee was co-host, a morning routine like brushing my teeth or putting on my contacts. But it has gotten to the point where I just can't watch it anymore. Maybe this is bound to happen with any show that has been on for so long, but there's really no reason why a talk show like this can't still be fun.

Actually, there is one reason: Kelly Ripa.

I never had a problem with Ripa when she took over as co-host many years ago, but now she makes me shift on my couch. Was she always like this? I see her as completely self-absorbed, and while I get that the "host chat" segment at the start of the show is supposed to be Regis and Kelly talking about what they did the night before, what they've been up to, what is happening at home and all that, Ripa takes it to a whole different level, somehow making everything that happens on the show -- even the celebrity interviews -- about her.

It's a neat trick, actually, but she succeeds every weekday morning. And she mugs while she does it too, that faux-cocky head tilt that screams "look at me!" into the camera.

I miss Kathie Lee. Maybe I'll start watching 'Today's' seventh hour more regularly now.

Kathy Griffin3. 'Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List.' I'm not a big reality show fan at all. But Griffin's Bravo show was an OK time-killer, especially since it revolves around someone who is very aware of her status in the celebrity world and isn't afraid to name names.

But it has gotten to be very thin indeed, and I saw one scene from this season that was so obviously staged -- and badly -- that I decided not even to tune in to the premiere. It has just gotten to the point where I don't really need to know about Griffin's personal life and how it connects to her comedy life.

I'll still watch her stand up though. She shines there.

CNN4. CNN afternoons. There's a cancer on the cable news landscape. I call it "Rick Sanchez."

I won't repeat all of the reasons why I don't like Sanchez. I've discussed it here several times. Let's just say that Sanchez is one of a handful of people TV -- a list that includes Nancy Grace, Gregg Jarrett, and Diane Sawyer -- whose voice alone sends chills up my spine, like Mary Hart did to Kramer in that episode of 'Seinfeld.' I watch Shep Smith at 3PM now.

But it's not just Sanchez. It's also people like Tony Harris. I wish Kyra Phillips would come back to afternoons.

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire5. 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.' This is the show I feel most bad about putting this on the list, because I love game shows and I love trivia and Meredith Vieira is a fine host. But I think it was a combo of the early questions being too easy and the fact that GSN runs repeats of the show 20 times a day that made me overdose on it a bit and not find it quite as entertaining as I did when it was on ABC once in a while. They overdid it then too.

What show did you used to love but you don't watch anymore?

[Follow Bob on Twitter.]

Michael

While I always feel very badly when a TV show I enjoy gets canceled too soon,the opposite can also apply when a series has been on too long.Loved The X-Files when it first debuted,after six seasons not so much.I enjoyed Ghost Whisperer once upon a time,but when they jumped the shark by advancing the time line eight years it was time to retire the show.

June 17 2010 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

For me Heroes was cut mid way through the twins season. They were both so annoying! For reasons I can not even explain I just stopped watching Cold Case. Now my dropping of Extreme Home Makeover was I found myself muting half of the show between Ty's screeching and the homeowners screaming, so why bother watching it?

June 17 2010 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I don't think I can watch Bones anymore, outside of the earlier season re-runs. The criminal procedure section of the show has been getting really weak. And I associate the show with getting my heart broken. That probably doesn't help either. (At least that break-up didn't affect my love for LOST).

June 16 2010 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Claire's comment
bruce

I still like Bones, though I do miss Zack Addy. My one complaint with the show is that when it started, the first two-three seasons did a great job of establishing why there was federal jurisdiction for Booth to be investigating. Very few murders are federal crimes, despite what the average person may believe. A "federal murder" is extremely rare. Now the show has completely dropped all pretense of offering so much as a semi-plausible reason why Booth has jurisdiction. As a lawyer, little things like this matter to me, especially when they do it right - which proves they know the facts - and then get lazy and just drop it and start doing it wrong because it's easier that way. That pisses me off. There have been many episodes where Booth has absolutely no business investigating the crime of the week, for want of federal jurisdiction.

June 17 2010 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alk02g

Glee only lasted five episodes with me. Make It or Break It lasted two. But usually, I either think it looks good, or I don't, so I never give it a chance, LoL. If I start watching it, chances are I'll watch it forever.

June 16 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Binky

Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice... well I never really loved Private Practice to begin with, but I did stick with it for two seasons before I quit. I used to love Heroes until the first season finale, then I quit. Also quit all the CSIs except for NY but I'm starting to get tired with that one too. After a while the same procedural show in different cities just get a bit tedious. Weirdly enough I quit on The Good Wife after five eps, despite it being critically-acclaimed and ratings-favorite. I just couldn't get into it.

June 16 2010 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jac

House is definitely the big one I stopped watching. It got iffy for me after they got rid of the original team, but I stuck around. Then when they wrote off Kal Penn and started focusing more on the House/Cuddy relationship I was just done.

June 16 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz G

Mine is Desperate Housewives. Partway through this season I suddenly asked myself why I was still watching it; no surprises, same old drama same old drivel. I just turned it off mid-show one Sunday night and never looked back.

June 16 2010 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz G's comment
james

I think I watched a few Desperate Housewives during the first season. Tried watching it again when they added Alfre Woodard but her storyline was so ridiculous not to mention badly cast. And while I doubt it's going to get any better I am curious to see what they're going to do with Vanessa Williams so I'll be watching the first 2 or 3 episodes at least next season.

June 17 2010 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

Heroes definitely makes my list, but sadly, so do all of the CSI shows. I watched all three for years and about four years ago I said "ENOUGH!"

June 16 2010 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Weeds. After the last season I won't be watching it anymore. Loved the first 2 seasons, 3 was still good, 4 started to get bad, and 5 was one step up from reality pie-in-the-face TV. It's very rare that I stop watching a show. The last time I did that was with Heroes, after season 2. Tried watching season 3 but just couldn't do it. Reminded me of tedious homework assignments.

June 16 2010 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I know how you feel. I used to love watching Heroes then I couldn't stand to watch it. I just could not find it in myself to watch it. I attempted to but could not. I just lost interest in it. I am also that way with Ghost Whisperer. Its a show that just does not keep my interest. I was not surprised when both were canceled.

June 16 2010 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply