October 23, 2014

'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Blasts Lawsuit Claims

by Mike Moody, posted Jun 16th 2010 3:30PM
sons of anarchy'Sons of Anarchy' creator Kurt Sutter has blasted an ex-biker's claim that the hit FX drama was his idea.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, former Hells Angel Chuck Zito claims he developed and pitched a TV drama about a renegade motorcycle club to FX in 2004 with the help of an ICM talent agent. The network passed on the show and later began developing Sutter's 'Sons of Anarchy' in 2006. ICM reportedly packaged and pitched Anarchy with Sutter to FX.

Zito is seeking $5 million from the cable network. His lawsuit purports that "FX was obligated to pay Zito the reasonable value of his ideas, hire him to work on the series and afford him screen credit as creator."

Today, Sutter hit back at the claims ... hard. He posted an expletive-filled response to Zito's lawsuit on his personal blog, expressing that having an "idea" for a show is not the same thing as "creating" it. Here's an excerpt:

"HAVING THE F***ING IDEA IS NOT THE SHOW. THERE HAVE BEEN DOZENS OF OUTLAW MOTORCYCLE TV DRAMAS PITCHED IN THE LAST TEN YEARS. NONE OF THEM HAS MADE IT TO SERIES, EXCEPT SOA. BECAUSE THEY SUCKED.

The same way there were dozens of mob family pitches before the Sopranos and crime scene pitches before CSI.

.... I had a love of the subculture but was not an "outlaw biker." The same way Damon Lindelof was never marooned on a supernatural island. I did what a good writers does. Research."

The lawsuit was filed today in Los Angeles.

irawannamaker

you could download them by first downloading Bit Torrent and then checking out like the pirate bay or bt junkie websites. just no that this is illegal and if u were caught you would have to pay a fine.

September 21 2010 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidamedders

Not the kind you'd like them to have... with a judgment, you can garnish their wages and bank account to collect... but nothing criminal, like jail, will happen to them.

September 17 2010 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C.A.

This comment section is weird.

June 17 2010 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Haha. Ok. Whatever floats your boat, Mike.

It's obvious that you're just trolling, but go for it. I won't get drawn into a flame war here.

June 16 2010 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Uh... no. I'm not Chuck Zito, dude. I'm nowhere close to being that dude.

It's also obvious that you guys don't know who he is, and I'm guessing that "Mike" and "Hells Ruler" aren't on the East Coast.

I also find it funny that commenters are really tough hiding behind a keyboard. But yeah, you guys can go ahead and mouth off. I'm not saying anything bad about any MC out there. I'm not that stupid.

June 16 2010 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

Chuck Zito is not simply an "ex-biker," and I would suggest caution when dealing with him. Anyone who knows of Chuck Zito simply knows that the guy is a bad-ass dude, and deserves respect from anyone who comes into contact with him.

Let the courts decide what should be done. Sutter shouldn't slam Chuck on his site or anywhere else. It's simply not a wise thing to do.

June 16 2010 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mb's comment
mb

I should add that I do not know either Chuck Zito or Kurt Sutter personally. I only know of Chuck Zito's reputation from the media.

Here is his Wikipedia entry if you don't know who he is:

June 16 2010 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply