September 1, 2014

HBO Renews 'True Blood' for Fourth Season

by Andrew Scott, posted Jun 21st 2010 2:45PM
True Blood'True Blood' has been renewed for a fourth season, HBO announced in a press release today.

"The new season of TRUE BLOOD is off to a terrific start, as enthusiasm for this unique show continues to build among both subscribers and critics," said Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. "We're looking forward to more chills from Alan Ball and his gifted team next year."

"I am beyond thrilled to be able to continue working with this amazing cast and crew," said creator Alan Ball. "This is the most fun I have ever had."

Season 4 will kick off in summer 2011, according to the release.

The pick-up order was to be expected, considering the show has regularly pulled in high numbers for HBO. Last Sunday's third-season premiere, for example, drew an impressive 5.1 million viewers, up 38 percent from last season.

To read more about 'True Blood,' check out our recap of last night's episode.

Amp it up

this show is amazing. Alexander Skarsgard gives it so much sex appealing especially ep 1 of season three. holy smoke he's fucken hot. THis is way better than twilight. Bella has no backbone and depends on edward to live. Who the fuck would be afraid of sparkling vampires. no me. those maybelin sparkling bitches can't compare to true blood. Meyers needs to die. True blood will always be the best.

June 23 2010 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KT

Beg to differ. The HBO series is not teenage fodder. My daughter will not allow her 16 year old to watch. She Tivo's it and we all watch it together, including her husband., on an evening when the granddaughter is not home. I personally am thrilled it will be renewed for a fourth season. I've also read the 10 Sookie Stackhouse books. The books, I believe, are written more to the teenage level. Good for easy reading, nothing to hurt the brain.
Sports don't exactly titulate me, but I would never begrudge my son-in-law his domination of the TV for his sports programs. We don't tell him he is stupid or his programs suck.
"To each his own".

June 22 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eddiegaz22

As u morons know, The Sookie Stackhouse Series Came Before ur Beloved TWILIGHT. Maybe Stephanie Meyers was reading this book when she had her Twilight Dream idea. So go shove it. Also, if u wanna continue with the BS, Vampires are no longer an Original Idea for ANYONE. Its been told and Re-told so so many times. Everyone tries to bring in their personal twist to it.

June 22 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SkyBlue

Busted again, you spammer scum.

June 22 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

I knew that True Blood would be renewed for a fourth season as it is doing pretty good in the ratings. I like True Blood it's a pretty good show.

June 22 2010 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

How can anyone stand this show? I'm acutally surprised that this so-called show was renewed after the first season. Enough of the fantasy vampire garbage and bring back good shows like The Sopranos and Hung. HBO has targeted teenage girls as thier audience, I guess they don't care about the people who actually pay the bill every month.

The show is a joke, in fact all of these spin offs of Stephanie Myers poorly executed attempts with her mindless books and movies, are pathetic tries at something better left to Anne Rice and of course, Dark Shadows creators and writers.

June 22 2010 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
Meg

Actually, Stephanie Meyers started writing the "Twillight" books after Charlaine Harris started writing the "Southern Vampire Novels", now known as the Sookie Stackhouse series. The show is following the major plots of the books closely. The first season was book 1, second season book 2, and now we're in season 3 which seems to be following pretty closely with book 3. There are differences in the show and books, but like I said, the major plot lines involving Sookie are basically along the same thoughts. So just because "True Blood" started after the Twillight movies started coming out doesn't mean it's the copy cat. I personally find both to be pretty entertaining.

June 22 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

I watch the show and it is okay, but quite frankly all this hype is undeserved. It is not bad but it is also poorly written, somewhat scattered in plot and a little silly. This whole thing with vampire royalty (the vampire king of Mississippi, the vampire queen of Louisiana, really?) and the original concept of the show was supposed to be vampires joining the mainstream and becoming citizens but with the exception of Bill all of the vampires are evil little psychopaths that deserve to be staked. Actually that's the problem to much sizzle and to little stake!

June 22 2010 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kee Pitreel

HBO lost its mojo years ago. Their news series have been dumb and/or boring. Where have the "Deadwood"s , "six Feet Under"s and "sopranos" gone? This show is just another aimed at the teenage female viewer.

June 22 2010 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kee Pitreel's comment
mark

Deadwook was horrible!
When you have to say F U C K 19 times in one speech it is because the writers have Nothing to say!
Six feet under Started out very well and then got lost as so many series do under the weight of a guest star that takes over the entire plot!
Oh and LIZ and the others who do not like this show SHUT UP and don't watch it then!
I hated FRIENDS and never watched it I would have been happy if a building had fallen over on the coffeeshop where they always hung out and crushed them to death in the last episode! But I did not stop you from watching it.

June 22 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimb

I love this show! I have read all the books the the Sookie Stackhouse series and they are amazing as well. I hope they renew this show every year.

June 22 2010 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meanvee

What is it about this show that's so great?, my wife and daughter is crazy over this show!, they won't miss a episode, they make their schedule around this show, I watched it once and thought it was funny and corny.

June 22 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply