September 17, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

A Sacrifice on 'Saving Grace' Series Finale (VIDEO)

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 22nd 2010 9:50AM
Saving GraceIt was the end on 'Saving Grace' (Mon., 10PM on TNT) and Grace (Holly Hunter) went out with a bang.

[Spoiler warning!]

Grace made good on her word from the first episode and sacrificed herself in the name of God. She went out in a blaze -- literally -- of glory. She sacrificed herself and vanquished the evil from Baltimore.

But, where did that leave her friends? In mourning. Where did it leave you, loyal viewers?

RicardoCabeza

Thank god I will not have to see any more of those horrible commercials for this garbage.

July 29 2010 at 1:16 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dfwtom

@LW

Actually, the song is by The Calling. It is called Wherever You Will Go. The song actually did very well on the music charts... I'd say that makes it widely popular. Considering it came out in 2001, I assume you've had time to listen to the lyrics and recognize that it applies.

June 23 2010 at 2:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
LW

I was ok with ending, the light defeats darkness symbolism was well woven thru out the episode. But i takew issues with two things. First does anybody think that Grace would have accepted the engagement ring? Anyone? Thought not.

Secondly, CREED? Really F'n Creed?!?! Creed is the best you can come with to drive home the finale scene? What a waste from a show that has done so much better integrating music in the key scenes.

June 22 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

I question whether the explosion could have even happened. Not like the stuff was sealed in containers. Out in the open like that, wouldn't it have just burned? I mean, I've seen gunpowder and even C-4 burn if just lit instead of triggered. Also, why couldn't she have survived the blast? We see the mail just sitting there like it wasn't even touched.Would have liked to have had everyone see Earl at the end. It was a great show right up to the end. That sucked about as much as the final few minutes of Cheers.

June 22 2010 at 4:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Eldritch

Suicide gets you condemned to hell. Having discovered the crime in progress, shouldn't she, as a cop, arrested the guy. Sure, he was Satan, but he did his evil acts in human form. She should have arrested his human form. If someone had arrested Timothy McVeigh, that would have prevented that bombing. Satan himself will go on. He's unkillable, so what exactly did her sacrifice accomplish?

June 22 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eldritch's comment
;-Dolla

That is what I thought. Satan is a spirit that cannot be killed. So she did nothing to keep him from targeting her loved ones. Just a quick way to end a story because the networks couldn't settle their pissingcontest.

March 04 2013 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

Can't you wait just a few seconds, and put major spoilers AFTER the fricken jump???????

June 22 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
dianecarol

Terrible, awful, very bad...finale.

June 22 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Michael

This reminded me why I never watched Saving Grace.

June 22 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

This was a terrible series finale; poorly developed and poorly written. In fact, the last few episodes were a complete waste of time.

June 22 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy_MO's comment
Eth

Think higher people, think ascension, think about that fact that we were O.K. with angels and God and it was accessible. Most of our culture shuns it all. It came to us accessibly not in the form of organized religion, not in the form of fundamentalism, but in the form of flawed, wounded folks that we can really relate to on some level. I liked that it was food for thought and food for conversation about God.
I did not care for the first hour of the finale, but I did think that the wrap up was good. Grace did learn to love herself, Ham believed and quoted scripture and given where he came from . . . I mean my God! Rhetta received all the proof and validation of God she could have ever asked for, Clay losing his Aunt helped him to heal the loss of his Mother. Ham lost her, but he knew that she loved him and that her death being the "drama" that is was, was completely appropriate, albeit painful.
I did not see her death as her end, but her beginning. Taking her soul to the next level was the best that she could have ever done, and it was done in the name of love. Whether or not evil was vanquished for eternity was never the question, she did what she could do and she did it for others, not just for herself, as so much of her "acting out" had been. It showed growth and healing and great strength. I was happy to witness it. I am not sorry that "Grace" was gone, it was SAVED. I will really miss the series. Holly Hunter and the whole cast are amazing, I hope that we can expect something that is thought provoking enough to have us question things more existential, most enjoyable.

June 22 2010 at 10:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply