October 31, 2014

Death on 'Deadliest Catch' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Jun 23rd 2010 2:05AM

Death on 'Deadliest Catch'Reality TV has existed in America for several decades now. But there comes a time when we have to ask -- what is appropriate for television and what isn't?

The latest episode of 'Deadliest Catch' (Tue., 9PM ET on Discovery) follows the death of Captain Phil Harris. He suffers a stroke on the show, which leads to his death a little more than a week later. The camera watches the panicked reactions of his son and the ship's crew members, as they attempt to revive him. Eventually, Phil has to be lifted off the boat in a stretcher, in order to be taken to the hospital.

We have to ask -- is this even something that should be shown on TV? Is this necessary? It all seems to be in very bad taste.

jane

John Belushi's tragic death convinced several very talented people, not to mention others who didn't make headlines, to seek treatment. Death is a part of life and even young people die, but this death was aided and abeted by smoking, bad food and chronic sleep deprivation. After his pulmonary embolism, he ignored his doctors advice, and paid the price. Perhaps this man's death will encourage others to quit smoking, eat better, and recognize our bodies and minds need rest.

July 13 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Satinfrog

They show "jerry Springer" every day, totally redundant and tasteless TV. He told the cameras to roll and Discovery left it to his family to approve or disapprove whether to air it...

July 13 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samantha

I've watched since Season 1 & remain in awe of human beings that are so brave as to risk their lives at sea. I spent 4 years on the ocean & was a basket case most of the time. So when I watch DC, I actually feel that same fear & my belly tenses so badly I have a hard time unwinding. BUT, the show is so excellent, one dare not turn their heads for fear of missing something.
Capt Phil has alwayd been my favorite because he depicts a side of life not shown on any other show on t.v. His smoking, cursing & gruff voice are the epitomy of the kind of people that are out there making a living by jeopardizing their lives....AND thanks to the novice cameramen brave enough to shoot all the footage that brings us a true story.
Miss you Phil, but you're for sure in a better place.

July 13 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janie

Condolences to the crew and family.
It's reality TV..these shows are real and I don't think it was in bad taste at all!! Bad Taste?????
I think showing a little red bear with toilet paper on his butt in a toilet paper commercial before we see the video of Phil dying is in extreme bad taste!!
Advertisers don't seem to mind if someone's death happens. They still will use it to make money! Now that's IS bad taste.

Phil was a good and wonderful man.

July 13 2010 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rugbymom

I watched Deadliest Catch because it was about the "salt of the earth" people doing a dangerous job. It was genuine and not scripted. I loved Captain Phil. He was funny, rough and tough but he had an huge heart as evident when he interacted with his sons. I thought it was very tasteful. I was really hoping he pulled through. RIP Phil. People Captain Phil or Nate Henn matter more then a person that fling a football, score a basket or hit a home run.

July 13 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawn

It was not distasteful, Phil wanted it shown. For the fans who loved Phil and his boys it will be closure.

July 13 2010 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sammy

Phil had just made peace with his sons, especially Jake who had told him he was an addict. Last week we saw the two sons yelling at each other, Jake getting drunk and high instead of doing the right thing and staying sober for his dad. Tonight, July 13, we get to see the episode where Phil passes and all the grief all those men, not just his sons suffer. That is reality. Unflinching, brutal reality. Not the damn fluff such as the Bachelor and others of that ilk.

July 13 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

For those of us who loved Capt. Phil, we need this episode for closure. I will watch it tonight and cry along with the others who loved him.

July 13 2010 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply