October 21, 2014

Is Your DVR Full This Summer?

by Rich Keller, posted Jun 23rd 2010 3:00PM
Is Your DVR running out of space?While viewing the current state of our family's DVR queue, I noticed something interesting: the unit contains more recordings now than it ever did during the fall television season.

Oh, every so often we would reach the 80 percent capacity mark if we were particularly busy, but lately it seems that we're constantly breaking the 85 percent or even 90 percent limit on a daily basis! And, no matter how much we watch, the queue never goes down as more recordings are added.

I have to wonder if this is happening in your household as well, and for what reason.

Could it be the amount of original summer programming now airing? After fiddling around with various concepts, the networks seem to have a stable, summer schedule. Not just the typical fare of reality shows, either. There's also a number of quality, scripted shows on the broadcast networks and cable outlets this time around. Is curiosity for new shows like 'The Good Guys,' 'Persons Unknown,' and 'Memphis Beat' helping to fill up the DVR alongside favorites like 'Burn Notice,' 'Royal Pains,' 'Drop Dead Diva,' and 'Doctor Who?'

If it isn't the new summer shows clogging up the queue, are reruns from the 2009-2010 season the culprit? There were a number of new shows that premiered that either couldn't be watched due to a time conflict or because there wasn't enough bandwidth to get involved with a new product. Is your DVR is filling with repeats of 'Glee,' 'NCIS: Los Angeles' or the new ABC comedies?

Or is it the laziness of the summer season that's causing the this issue? With baseball games, barbecues, vacations, and the kids home from school, the time needed to sit and watch a television show or two is limited. When there is time, you're probably too tired from the baseball games, barbecues, vacations and kids to watch an entire episode. The result: more warnings that your DVR is reaching capacity.

TV Squad editor Sandra Deane tends to lean towards the laziness theory. "I've got several episodes of 'Hell's Kitchen,' 'Last Comic Standing,' 'Glee,' etc. that I just haven't gotten around to," she said, "especially because my husband is in video game mode right now. So maybe it just feels like there's more being taped."

TV Squad Head Writer Joel Keller suggested summer sports as one of the reasons for the decrease of DVR space. "There's baseball for the sports fans (like me), which gives them something to watch every day." He also agreed with Sandra that laziness is also a factor. "The days are longer, the weather's warmer, and people don't feel like hunkering down with hours of TV."

What do you think? Is your DVR full due to the amount of favorites and curiosities you want to watch, reruns that you missed, or is it laziness that prevents you from firing up an episode? Let us know. And when you do, let us know what shows are currently taking up the space.

Why Is Your DVR Full This Summer?
The amount of new programming on the summer schedule.84 (44.2%)
Laziness. I'm not interested in getting involved with shows now.31 (16.3%)
A little of both.75 (39.5%)

alk02g

ours is clogged up because hubby saved episodes of House and How I Met Your Mother to watch when he's bored over the summer, plus I now have two jobs so I can't watch things as quickly and they sit around for longer before I can watch and delete them.

June 23 2010 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

each day our DVR is about 50 -60% full so im not worried

June 23 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

My DVR's least busy time is summer,I have a few shows recorded on it but the pickings are slim June,July,& August.Yes,the networks & cable stations do provide some original series during the summer months but it isn't a tidal wave.And I only have a handful of them I watch.Fall is the busiest & when I record the most with the new TV season.I catch up with anything I've recorded during the week on Saturday since nothing new is on that day & networks simply throw on repeats of their shows from earlier in the week.I remember when they actually had all new shows in prime time on Saturday night,those days are sadly gone.

June 23 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

i think it's a special combination of laziness and panic. true, a lot more outdoor activities are taking us away from the tube but also, in the wake of ALL of my fall/spring programming ending at the same time, we are trying to fill the DVR void with shows that we normally wouldn't give a chance in the fall, all so our DVR won't look too skimpy.

June 23 2010 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Felicity

I think this summer especially there are a number of good, entertaining shows on cable, not as many as in the fall, but certainly worthwhile.

A few of the shows I watch have become must-see TV for me - I watched the first 2 seasons of True Blood on DVD, but now I cannot wait for a new episode every week (I blame HBO's awesome teasing campaign);

For the adrenaline junkie in me I have Leverage and Burn Notice, kinda like two mini-action movies every week, both off to great starts.

My summer guilty pleasure, Entourage, will return this Sunday.
Plus, other goodies coming in July - White Collar and Mad Men.

(I will definitely have a dilemma in August on Sundays - 4 shows on the same night...brutal)

I also started watching Rescue Me these past few weeks, and now I'm in the middle of the 5th season, so I'll be tuning in for the season 6th premiere next Tuesday.

In the summer, I find it really easy to watch shows that have been canceled or ended - this way there's no frustration or fear of cancellation (I already know the show is no more, so I can enjoy the ride), and this year I watched Samantha Who? and just finishing Pushing Daisies - both wonderful, fresh, light shows.

As for the new shows that have premiered in fall, if I didn't watch them or had any interest in the fall, no way I'm starting while the sun is shining outside.

June 23 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

I have whole seasons of shows stored up in my DVR that I just didn't get time to start on during the actual TV season. My summer plan is to get caught up on Eureka, Warehouse 13, Friday Night Lights and Life.

June 23 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dan's comment
Rich Keller

'Life?' As in the NBC series or the nature program?

June 23 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Nature program. It's not something I have to get "caught up on", but I did record them all and then never got around to watching them.

June 23 2010 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply