November 28, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Lauren, Dominic Wow Judges With Intense Performance on 'SYTYCD' (VIDEO)

by AOL TV Staff, posted Jun 23rd 2010 11:11PM
Who says reality TV is mostly fluff.

On the latest episode of 'So You Think You Can Dance' (Wed., 8PM ET on Fox) choreographer Tessandra Chavez created a dance routine for Lauren that she described as being "about the many women who get themselves in abusive relationships."

[Spoiler alert]

The routine, to Beyonce's 'If I Were a Boy,' knocked out the audience and the judges.

"Thank you for bringing a vitally important issue into the dance world," judge Nigel Lythgoe said. "I thought it was an awesome job, Mia Michaels said. "You just turned into an actor," Adam Shankman said.

What do you think?

kate

I have liked many routines of this shows, especially those in season 3 and season 4. But this one.. I did not feel it. I think they are exaggerating.

June 25 2010 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan D. Dascoli

Can't wait each week to see DYTYCD. The dancers really give it their all together with their hearts. What a true, polished professional is Nygel; also his caring comments given to those who were ill or have passed on never go unnoticed. The judges, choreographers are all top notch! Cat Deely is a wonderful host; her great personality, kindness and sensitivity are a breath of fresh air. Very likeable! Long live DYTYCD!!

June 24 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nalguy5

I remember when dancing was beautiful. These days, according to SYTYCD, if you look like you are having a seizure then you are a great dancer.

June 24 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gdsf

I really like "So You Think You Can Dance," and think it really showcases dancers AND choreographers in a way which is very exciting
and admirable for network commercial television. But honestly, sometimes the judges get so full of themselves and the show, and it seems like they know nothing about what has been going on in
the dance world for the past two centuries. i.e. The dance world has been calling attention to "women being abused" since the Mad Scene
from "Giselle" was created 200 years ago. Countless major choreographers have addressed this issue -- and many others -- over the years. Dance and ballet have always been on the cutting edge of "issues" and of "acting," as well as just dancing. Dance expressed such issues back in a time when they couldn't be discussed with words in polite society.

June 24 2010 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

Never watched the show, just saw the clip, now I know why I don't watch the show....looked pretty lame to me

June 24 2010 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katherine

Dance has always been about expressing emotion - whether positive or painful - so to say that they shouldn't have dances dealing with topics like domestic violence and should be limited to what is "beautiful, graceful, loving, fast" demonstrates a limited knowledge of the history of dance. Do you hold this same standard to the other forms of expressive arts? I would imagine your taste in music, art, literature, etc, must be pretty limited if you do.

June 24 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m0ng00se

Perez Hilton sucks.... effing faggot... sh*t breath.

June 24 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No1\'sname

Looks like he was trying to help prevent her from with having tramatic seizures!

June 24 2010 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigboeingboy717

It's appalling when people are so one-sided and can't see the end of theie noses depsite their purposefully offensive comments. As with all forms of personal expression, who are we to say that it is or isn't dance? Any outlet that allows you to be who you are and express yourself should never be criticized. I was a music major in college... I can't stand metal and rap, but I don't criticize them and their art. I merely choose to not listen. I suggest you folks who have such a short-sighted opinion of dancing should do the same and take your opinions to another channel each Wednesday and Thursday nights.

June 24 2010 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerome

You have to be a real loser to waste your evenings watching such trash television.

June 24 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply