September 18, 2014

Could Tonight be the Series Finale of 'Party Down'?

by Chris Harnick, posted Jun 25th 2010 6:00PM
Jane Lynch in Party Down
'Party Down' has been the little show that could for two years, but this might be the end of the line.

Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but it seems that it's just me and about 200,000 other people who regularly tune in for the smart little comedy.

Tonight, Fri., June 25 at 10PM on Starz, Jane Lynch returns to the show for the second season finale and possibly series finale. Why is a show with so much praise staring cancellation in the face? Well, a few reasons.

One, the numbers just haven't gone up. Starz's hit series, 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand,' premiered to roughly 1 million viewers (including those who watched the encore version). Rob Thomas, one of the creators of 'Party Down,' told me that Starz indicated they wanted to see the numbers go up, but they really haven't.

Another factor, the show only signs its actors to year contracts. Two of the main actors are attached to other projects next season.

Party DownAdam Scott, one of the stars and producers of the series has already made an appearance on NBC's 'Parks & Recreation.' He'll stick around there next season.

Ryan Hansen, goofy Kyle on 'Party Down,' has been tapped to star in NBC's new romantic comedy 'Friends With Benefits.' The new show is just what the title suggests, it's about friends who sleep with each other while searching for their true love.

Could the show come back sans Hansen and Scott? I guess.

Lynch was replaced by Megan Mullally who plays the lovable naive Lydia very well. But, Scott's character Henry is the center of the show.

Thomas told me that if tonight's episode is the last we see of Henry "... it's the most beautiful place we could leave him. The only comfort ... is that I think it's the perfect ending to his story if we don't get to see him again."

For more of Thomas' comments on the future of 'Party Down' check out my interview with him.

There's a preview of tonight's episode below, but I implore you to tune in and see the whole thing, or at least watch it on Starz Play via Netflix's instant stream feature.

YouFaceTheTick

If this is the end of the series that's too bad because season 2 was just plain awesome. It's hands-down the best comedy on TV right now (30 Rock is fun but can't even match it).

Sad nobody watches it or in most cases has even heard of it.

June 26 2010 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YouFaceTheTick's comment
Stella

Once again, I agree with you. It's a great show. If it were to be renewed for a 3rd, Adam Scott would be in 3 eps. It confounds me that no one is essentially watching this show.

June 27 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I love the show, but people I point toward Party Down don't ever seem to respond to it like I do.

Though I would say Megan Mullaly's character definitely doesn't replace Lynch, I still really enjoy her. I have never been a fan of Mullaly previously, but I think she's doing a great job here.

June 26 2010 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I've wanted to watch this show since I first read about it here on TVSquad but unfortunately, I don't have "Netflix" and can't afford "Starz", so I'm afraid I can't help you - or them - out.

June 25 2010 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia

I just watched the finale and it was amazing. So optimistic and hopeful while staying true to the show (meaning, it was hilarious). I still think it would hurt the show not to have Adam Scott, but I would watch season three without him (though I'm not convinced that he would be unable to do both Parks & Rec and Party Down).

June 25 2010 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

I am waaaay late to the party on this show since I just watched the first couple seasons so far on Netflix, but I don't know that it can survive the loss of Adam Scott. Megan Mullaly has done a weak job of replacing Jane Lynch and I'm not sure who could bring the same amount of stuff to the table as Adam Scott's character.

June 25 2010 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harpy

I watched the final episode and it ends with definite 3rd season potential. I hope Starz gives it a shot. I want to know if Starz factors in all the people who stream the how on Netflix since I do not receive Starz on my cable. I love this show.

June 25 2010 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply