September 30, 2014

Bristol Palin Reveals What She'll Tell Her Son About Abstinence

by Gabrielle Dunn, posted Jun 28th 2010 6:45PM
Bristol PalinIn one of the most fitting guest-star casting decisions ever, Bristol Palin (daughter of Sarah Palin) who garnered national notoriety for getting pregnant at the age of 17 during her mom's vice presidential campaign, is set to play herself July 5 on 'The Secret Life of the American Teenager.'

Palin will interact with the show's main character, Amy, who gave birth to a son after getting pregnant before her freshman year of high school. The girls will meet at a band camp for teenage mothers.

Another character on the show, Adrien, played by Francia Raisa, also just learned she is pregnant after a one-night stand and is deciding between keeping the baby or terminating the pregnancy.

Palin and Raisa talked to TV Squad about the cameo and their shared favorite TV show. Plus, Palin also spoke about the show's message against pre-marital sex and what she'll tell her now 1-year-old son, Tripp, about abstinence when the time comes.

So Bristol, I wanted to ask, are you playing yourself, or a fictionalized version of yourself?

Palin: Yeah, a fictionalized version of myself is probably the best description.

Can you tell us a little more about what happens in the episode?

Palin: Well, it'll be on July 5, but it's just a few lines of myself talking with the main character, Amy.

What did you do to prepare? Did you talk to any acting coaches?

Palin: [Laughs] No, no acting coaches. I went over the lines that was on the drive over here a few months ago, so it was kind of thrown out there, but it was an awesome experience.

Do you have any longer term plans for acting? And is this something you'd want to do more of in the future?

Palin: I don't know if I want to do more of it. I guess I'll leave it up to the experts but I had a great time shooting this and hopefully I don't look like too much of an idiot.

Do you have any scenes with Adrian (Raisa) or were most of them just with Amy?

Palin: It was just the one scene with Amy.

Francia, can you talk a little bit about what might be coming up for Adrian?

Raisa: Well, Adrian is pregnant, we just realized that and right now she's just dealing with the fact that she's going to have to tell her mom and in her head, she's going to terminate the pregnancy. And we'll just see what her mom has to advise her, because her mom, as well, got pregnant at 17 and decided to have her. So, it's just going to be an emotional roller coaster and a tough decision. Not only does she not want to be a mother, she doesn't want to have a baby with someone she doesn't love or isn't in a relationship with. That's all I can really give away, but just the decision of whether to terminate or not.

The show takes a cautionary tone about pre-marital sex. Bristol, was it a show you watched? Was part of you wanting to take the role an agreement with the message of the show?

Palin: It was definitely a show I watched with my younger sister and my cousins and what not. I think that every teen pregnancy has a different circumstance and I think the show is doing a great job showing that teen pregnancy isn't getting worse, and it doesn't just affect the mother, it affects her boyfriend, and so many other aspects and dynamics of it.

So you think the show is accurate?

Palin: Yeah, I do think it's accurate.

I read in Harper's Bazaar that you said your parents just assumed you weren't doing anything rather than talk to you about the realities of pre-marital sex, and it was pretty similar with the main character on 'Secret Life.' Have you given any thought to what you might say to your son about it when the time comes?

Palin: Well, I definitely hope Tripp will wait to have sex until either he's married or what not but I just hope that he doesn't have to go through what I went through with my teen pregnancy. Hopefully, I'll do a good job explaining that to him.

Francia, you said your character isn't sure if she wants to have a baby with someone she doesn't love. Is there a way that it could end amicably between a teenage girl and her child's father that she doesn't necessarily get along with?

Raisa: I can't give too much away just because it hasn't aired yet and I don't want to kill it for the viewers, I just know that right now they're going through a tough time. He's feeling guilty about the possible fact of her terminating the pregnancy and they're not really getting along with the decision right now.

Bristol, do you have any plans to watch it with your family, to throw a little party or something?

Palin: No, definitely not a party or anything. I'll definitely be too embarrassed to see myself on TV, so I'll probably just watch it by myself with my baby.

Are there any other shows that either of you watch that you like a lot?

Raisa: We bonded over 'Bridezillas' earlier. We're both fans of that show.

Palin: It's crazy, fun and dramatic.

Raisa: It's really funny, and other than that I watch 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'How I Met Your Mother' and stuff like that.

Every person says they're not going to be a bridezilla and then they turn into one in the end.

Raisa: [Laughs] Who knows? Just do what I say and I won't turn into a bridezilla.

mannyandmil

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree; this cliche' fits Sarah and Bristol Palin perfectly. Sarah Palin, being the worst mother example possible, raised a daughter that had a baby at 17, whose father exposed what trailer-trash Sarah and Todd Palin really are. Sarah Palin had a Down's Syndrome baby, which will never contribute to America, only suck-up finite resources. Only an intelligent woman would terminate a retarted fetus, and Sarah Palin isn't an itelligent woman.

March 29 2011 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tradervic

Maybe if we stop all the name calling for a minute we can make some sence of this. Statisitics show that about 3/4s of teens have sex before the end of high school. That means your Johny or Mary most likely has done the wild thing. Some are wild yahoos but most are just average kids from decent familys mostly christian. I don't think to many parents tell their kids "Hey make sure you have plenty of sex before you graduate". Nobody wants their kids to have sex that young, not just for moral reasons but for health reasons and because it's a distraction from education.Something else to keep in mind is that not everybody has the same sex drive. As an musician with some experience I would brake it down in thirds. If you're a good looking male and women know your wealthy and you ask every women in a club if they'd like to have sex, about a thid will say no, about a third will be indifferent and might or might not and a third will probably ask you before you get a chance to ask them. For people with low sex drives, abstinence probably works for born again republicans and liberal dems alike, that may explain the 1/4 of high school students that don't have sex, and remember there's alot of confused gay christian males out there that don't really want to have sex with women anyway.Fact #1 kids are going to have sex, fact#2 no matter how many times a parent talks to their kids and pleads with them to wait (and this includes Sarah Palin), you can't change fact #1. So do you wait until your kid is pregnant or dieing from aids before you tell them they have other options or do you face reality and protect your kids by making sure they protect themselves?

July 09 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mrs. Parker

by MV, posted Jul 8th 2010
Sonya - ANd I'm sure your own kids waited to have sex before they were married? Right? Jeez are you too stupid!

My daughter is 5 1/2 and will be entering kindergarten this Fall. I'm fairly certain she is not sexually active. My son is 14 and he got a huge laugh in health class when asked if he was aware could contract a venereal disease from unprotected sex. His answer was "That's impossible." The teacher asked if he thought he was impervious and he said, "Look - I'm 14. I'm broke. I'm chubby. I don't have a car. No girl is going to have sex with me, so I think I'm pretty safe." I am not stupid and neither are my children. I was just raised a certain way, and I will raise my children the same way. That being said, I am not blind to the realities of life. I know teens have sex - Why wouldn't they? Their bodies are perfect and it feels good. The story at hand is about a bunch of hypocrits. It's almost like a Jeff Foxworthy joke: How do you know you're a redneck? When you use your mother's baby to hide your baby-bump on the stage of the National Republican Convention!

July 08 2010 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tradervic

What makes you think you have to hate Bristol in order to respond to a comment she made on coast to coast tv or the net. Do you think the radical christian right is the only group that has a right to comment? Actually she's built she's rich, she obviously likes to party.Outside of the hipocritical statements, what's not to like?

July 06 2010 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tradervic

I don't remember reading anything in the bible that says god wants you to be stupid and believe anything some con artists lay on you or to not use your common sence and he did say beware of false profits.

July 06 2010 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jms2161

Do you know what a *ucking, Obama voting moron is? jms

July 06 2010 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jms2161's comment
tradervic

So tell us JMS2161, do you wear swastikas on your lapels and do you fantasize about burning a cross on the white house lawn, and how do you feel about that?

July 07 2010 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tradervic

DD, you sound rather naive. Maybe you've never had sex. Do you know what a hipacrit is? It's sort of like Jesus harassing inocent people and destroying a market place and then turning around and saying the meek will inherit the earth. Bristol Palin is just one more case that prooves that people like sex and if they want sex they're going to have sex. Bristol is leading other young people into making the same mistake. Why? Because people that know better won't pay to hear her lectures. Sarah Palin left her responsabilities in Alaska to cash in on the publicity she received from running for national office by doing talk shows, lectures and books and it payed off. She made about 15000000.00 last year, about 50 times more than if she would have honored her commitments and stayed Governor and Bristol has been working the talk show circuit trying to cash in right along with mom. Put your bible in your pocket and think . These people don't believe in God, they believe in Cash.

July 06 2010 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tradervic's comment
jms2161

Do YOU know what a moron is? Learn how to spell you Obama loving *hit head...jms

July 06 2010 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DD.

RAY. God bless you for writing this beautiful, and intelligent comment. These people don't have any idea
how to feel love, compassion, and most of all respect for another human being. They are so bad, inside of them that we feel the release of hate, anger, poor in spirit, and also jealousy with their comments.

I feel very sorry for them, and I pray to The Lord for their soul, forgiveness, and to help them to cure those

bad feelings that they have inside.

July 05 2010 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jms2161

The only thing that libtards are big on is stupidity. If that wasn't true we wouldn't be stuck with a teleprompter reading stumble bum as president.
If a every voter had to score 90 or above on a standardized I.Q. test prior to being allowed in the ballot box we'd never have another liberal elected to ANY political office again...jms

July 05 2010 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maty

"Bristol Palin Reveals What She'll Tell Her Son About Abstinence" ??? Do you believe we are stupid?

July 05 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply