September 23, 2014

'Criminal Minds' Update: Paget Brewster In (For Now), A.J. Cook to Wrap Up Storyline

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jun 28th 2010 9:00AM
It's been reported that Paget Brewster has signed a deal to return for one more season on 'Criminal Minds,' and that despite fan pressure, A.J. Cook has been axed.

Following news that CBS had chosen not to renew Cook's contract, and had reduced the number of episodes Brewster was to appear in, disgruntled fans mounted an online petition to save the actresses' roles.

Writing on Twitter over the weekend, Brewster expressed her gratitude to the more than 40,000 people who had signed the petition. "Thank you for helping and supporting me and AJ," she said. "I am immensely grateful. I'm still angry about AJ. I'm sad this is my last year."

And Cook tweeted to fans: "Thanks for your undying support but it's a done deal."

'Criminal Minds' is a police procedural drama that follows the work of F.B.I. profilers in the Behavioral Analysis Unit (B.A.U.) at Quantico, V.A. It premiered on CBS in the fall of 2005 and its fourth and fifth seasons saw the show enter the Top 20.

Series regular Cook has played J.J. Jareau since the beginning, and when her contract was not renewed for the upcoming sixth season, there were rumors that it was for budgetary reasons. Fans mounted a campaign to have her reinstated, and possibly thanks to their pressure Cook has confirmed that she'll return to the show for two episodes to wrap up her character's storyline.

Paget Brewster joined 'Criminal Minds' in its second season, playing the team's foreign language expert, Emily Prentiss. She's staying on for one last season with the series, and is believed to have signed a "10 out of 13" deal, which means that she'll appear in at least 17 out of 22 episodes.

The departure of Cook and Brewster leaves Kristen Vangsness, who plays Penelope Garcia, as the only full-time female cast member still on the show. However, producers have said they're looking to hire another actress to join the cast as a series regular later on this year.

The sixth season of 'Criminal Minds' is due to air on CBS in the fall.

nikita g

What in the hell is wrong with you all... I love this show. I like the woman on this show. Please find another way to deal with this,,, Prentis and JJ are a great balance to the men. Prentis I see as me. She can take a punch to the face from a self absorbed physico and still be funny and laugh with the geek. JJ can handle and jugle life with a child as well as keep Hotch in line and on track. You dont just poof get thoses personalities by snapping your fingers. These people are the best you will ever get. Appericiate them.. You dont find them often, and less in this society.

March 09 2011 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
millrose

CBS YOU REALLY SUCK! for making these changes in the show. It seems to me that you don't really care what the fans want anymore. You are runining a good show removing key characters like that. You are messing with a good thing. I guess if you want to cancel the show too reguardless of what the fans want. Iam appalled by your lack of concern for fans of CBS. I think your making a VERY BIG MISTAKE! removing Prentiss and J.J. you won't others like them.

March 03 2011 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rgasparre

how can they do that???? well i understand how they do that but still?!?!?!?!?!? this show is about a FBI group, when people hear or think of the FBI they think of men in suits being the heros! but on this show they have two women who are strong and fought to prove that they can make it in the world were men are generally the better of sexes and then CBS go and take the two off leaving only garcia there who we only see when she presents the case and when ever they need to search things on the computer!!! i am seriously considering of looking for a new wednesday night show if CBS keeps on messing up all of the shows that i watch!!

February 23 2011 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monica

Outrageous!! There are at least 3 men for woman on CBS shows and in many cases the women are just decoration rather than integral parts of the story lines. Where are our female role models? Are girls and women supposed to relate to the mundane, 2-dimentional male characters who routinely investigate the rape or murder of women or to the women who are the usual victims? Give us a break!

July 23 2010 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave M. Meldrum

I refuse to watch any CBS show including Criminal Minds until they bring back AJ. You know CBS, there is enough bad news in the world with Companies downsizing or laying people off. Try something original and be loyal to your actors! Especially those actors who haven't acted out of line or worse acted like they were prima-donnas. SHAME ON CBS for treating it's employees this way. Boycott all CBS shows!

July 23 2010 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
george

they should get rid of there computer whiz she really ruins the show

July 09 2010 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Though I am sad and angry that JJ/AJ will no longer be on the show and Paget Brewster's will leave at the ned of the season, I will continue to watch out of respect and loyalty to the other actors:Thomas Gibson,Matthew Grey Gubler,Shemar Moore, and Kristen Vagness who always give a 110% to their roles and do such a wonderful job week after week. For them I will continue to be a fan but if any of them go so will I. AJ and Paige will be missed and CBS is making a big mistake but unfortunatley they won't see it til it's too late.

July 05 2010 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cherokeechild

I adore Penelope Garcia character! She dosn't come across as a smart ass,sex pot,but rather a very good hacker that came to work for the BAU. She's an awesome asset but she doesn't leave her computers much and her talent at getting the team info fast is to be admired. I also think it's awesome that her last name is "Garcia" because it breaks the concept that if you have a "latin" sounding last name you must have a tan, brown eyes and black straight hair.
This woman is rally good at her job and that shows that women don't have to pack a gun to get air time.

July 05 2010 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply