November 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Stirring Tributes for Dick Clark, Agnes Nixon on 2010 Daytime Emmy Awards (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Jun 28th 2010 5:32AM
Tearful Tributes to Dick Clark, Agnes Nixon on 2010 Daytime Emmy AwardsThe 37th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards (Sun., 9PM ET on CBS) honored entertainment icon Dick Clark with a star-studded tribute recognizing his nearly 40-year TV show, 'American Bandstand.' During the musical roundup, Chubby Checker (who performed on 'Bandstand' in 1960) pulled Susan Lucci onto the stage to do the twist.

Simon Cowell said, "Without 'Bandstand,' without Dick, there would be no 'American Idol.'" Ryan Seacrest told Clark, "I personally want to thank you -- what you've done for our industry, for music and for me. I'm proud to be your friend."

"Did I write that for you?" joked the still-feisty stroke survivor, before tearing up during a standing ovation.

The accolades continued with a Lifetime Achievement Award for Agnes Nixon, creator of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'

Maura West nabbed Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role in 'As the World Turns' -- her last chance, as the awards show said goodbye to the 53-year-old series. Her tearful daughter joined her onstage, and they thanked the voters with a curtsy.

'The Bold and the Beautiful' crowd seemed shocked to win Outstanding Drama for the second consecutive year. Other surprise wins included 'Cash Cab,' which took home two Emmys, for Game Show and Game Show Host (Ben Bailey). And Oprah Winfrey protege Dr. Mehmet Oz won Outstanding Talk Show Host on 'The Dr. Oz Show.'

Gina Sprague-Payne

I danced on American Bandstand from 1975 to 1989, and was chosen for The American Bandstand National Dance Contest in 1977. Dick Clark deserves alot more than just tributes... for all that he has contributed to the Music and Television Industries....and for all of his patience putting up with all of us dancers for so long!

June 28 2010 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I cried, love Dick Clark and the way he has fought back
from his stroke is an inspiration to all of us. Love Agnes Nixon, I truly believe in giving Flowers While WE
Yet Live.

June 28 2010 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocky

Dick Clark led the way but he led in the way of real music not electronic gizmos playing the music and he had real talent not wanna be talent on the air as you see on American Idol furthermore the music was music you could relate to and dance to not this junk of today which no one even understands.

June 28 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Mitera

Wish to make a correction to Karen's comments. Dick Clark's American Bandstand came on 5 days a week - Mon. through Fri. from 4:00 pm til 5:00 pm in the Midwest. I remember hurrying to get home from work to see the show if even only for the last 15 minutes. Just listen to the so-called music of today versus the music of the Dick Clark era; there's no comparison. Back then it was music and one could understand what was being sung and you could even dance to it. God bless Dick Clark. He led the way.

June 28 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Dick Clark made my Saturday's come alive when I was a kid. He was there for the new dance moves, new songs, new artists. That's where I learned to dance, learned the love of music. Without American Bandstand, where would I have learned many lessons, not just about dancing, but about life. I SALUTE you Dick Clark for you are the music.

June 28 2010 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
King David

Besides the obvious I think Dick Clark is also very lucky to share life with that dear woman who has been his friend and all other things in his life - his wife. Keep on Spinnin'...

June 28 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply