April 18, 2014

Janeane Garofalo to Join New 'Criminal Minds' Series?

by Catherine Lawson, posted Jun 29th 2010 9:20AM

Janeane GarofaloComedian, activist and actress Janeane Garofalo is reportedly joining the cast of the new 'Criminal Minds' spinoff, 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,' the Ausiello Files is reporting.

Oscar winner Forest Whitaker has already signed to the much-hyped show, which will be the first spin-off in the 'Criminal Minds' franchise.

The procedural drama will follow F.B.I. profiler Sam Cooper (Whitaker) who forms his own team of independent investigators after being away for several years. Garofalo, who previously played an F.B.I. agent in '24,' is expected to star as one of these elite agents.

Garofalo got her big TV breaks in the '90s on 'Saturday Night Live' and 'The Larry Sanders Show.' In recent years, however, she's appeared in high-profile drama series, with roles on 'The West Wing' and '24.' She became available for 'Suspect Behavior' after her fall pilot, a John Wells-produced medical drama about doctors who travel the country helping people in life-or-death situations, was not picked up by CBS.

CBS has developed several successful drama franchises over the years, most notably with the 'CSI' shows and 'NCIS,' which was itself a spinoff from 'JAG.' The new 'Criminal Minds' series was announced amid falling ratings and rumors of budgetary problems with the original drama, and in recent weeks series regulars Paget Brewster and A.J. Cook have been dropped.

Although the pilot episode of 'Suspect Behavior' reportedly met with a lukewarm reception at the network, CBS executives announced it as part of the Fall 2010 lineup back in May, and are presumably hoping that a successful launch will reboot the fortunes of the original show.

'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior' is due to debut on CBS in the fall.

Thaddeus

I like Whitaker but he needs to enunciate better - slow down ,man. Janeane Garfalo needs to go , yuck. Get someone that actually has talent and chemistry.

April 19 2011 at 12:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jtgabianca

I love criminal minds but cannot stomach Janeane Garofalo. So unfortunately, one spin off I was really looking forward to, will not be on my dvr. :(

March 02 2011 at 10:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jlogue85

Was all ready to see if this new Criminal Minds spin-off would be as good as the original. Shortly after the beginning of this initial episode, it struck me that they had Janeane Garofalo as one of the "stars". That did it for me, and I immediately shifted over to watch a rerun of Holmes Inspection! Being stretched over a fire-ant mound, naked, would be less painful then being assaulted with Ms. (short for miserable) Garofalo's visage and voice for an entire hour on hump-day evening. This should be an indicator as to what type of liberal bias that will be part and parcel of this new show. I, for one, will not miss even one chapter of this show! I will not ever watch it again, and I will not miss it. When will these "geniuses" in TV land get a clue as to the desires of the normal viewer?

February 17 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane

August 06 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jane's comment
mgb9939

Ditto ... she's a complete waste!!!

February 17 2011 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Criminalmindssuperfan

I will not watch my "favorite show" if Garofalo is in it. She needs to be a "community organizer" not an actress. Keep JJ - "if it ain't broke - don't fix it"......

June 30 2010 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

WE WILL NOT WATCH IT!!!!!! YOU HAD A GREAT SHOW GREAT CAST,AND SOME MORON HAD TO MESS WITH IT.CRIMINAL WILL FALL BY THE WAY SIDE

June 29 2010 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the_0ne

I am fine with people having their opinions, even Janeane Garofalo. But what I can't stand is when it's not a fair fight. I can't stand her, but it's not ONLY because of her hatemonger'ing, it's from what I saw on the Bill Maher show one time.

It was three liberals against one conservative. Par for that show, nothing really earth-shattering there. There was yelling from both sides, but really, 3 against 1, you hardly hear the 1. Bill Maher stops them and says, wait, wait, wait, this really isn't fair, you 3 against him. Janeane (looking strung out either from exhaustion or well you fill in the blanks) yells at Maher. I will have to ad-lib, but she definitely used the f*ck word. Something like "f*ck yes this is fair". I just couldn't believe it. What world is 3 against 1 fair. Even Maher was thrown back, didn't know what to say.

She was bearable on 24, but then I LOVE 24, but I will have to seriously think about a new show that she is going to be in.

Can't get the taste out of my mouth when her name is mentioned after that Bill Maher episode.

June 29 2010 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TooMuchWay

You just called her a hatemonger and put yourself in the same light. We need less of people who spread garbage ideas around and more of those that have worthwhile things to say in the media. Please.

June 29 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
TooMuchWay

She is a hatemonger, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended 24. Liked the preview of the new show but with her forget it.

June 29 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rayray

I will not watch the new show if Janeane Garofalo is on the show, I can't stand her. Didn't she promise to leave the country if George Bush was elected, as well as she keeps her promises she should run for Congress.

June 29 2010 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rayray's comment
mgb9939

Has she left the country yet as promised?

February 17 2011 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply