November 24, 2014

Emily VanCamp Confirms 'Brothers & Sisters' Departure

by Chris Jordan, posted Jun 30th 2010 3:20PM
The most dangerous job in show business? Our vote is being a cast member on ABC's ensemble drama 'Brothers and Sisters.'

After a couple of noted departures in the last few months, including the killing off of Rob Lowe's character, now comes the news of yet another exit. In an exclusive interview with the Ausiello Files, Emily VanCamp has confirmed that she she is leaving, and her character, Rebecca, will be written out of the series after a few episodes next season.

VanCamp is a victim of budget cuts, she intimated in the interview.
"They [wanted to] renegotiate for the next couple of years,'' VanCamp said of events that precipitated her departure. "I'd like to think that it was a mutual agreement. I don't really make decisions based on (money). For me, it was really a creative thing -- I did a lot of soul-searching. It's a big risk for me to take.''

The interview revealed that several cast members were asked to renegotiate their contracts.

"The deal I was offered this year was for two more years and I just felt like since re-negotiations were happening that maybe it would be the right time to move on,'' VanCamp said.

VanCamp's Rebecca was the illegitimate child of William Walker, the late patriarch of the Walker clan. Rebecca eventually learned that she was not his child after all, and after she found out, she eloped with her former half-brother Justin Walker (Dave Annable). It hasn't been a picture perfect marriage to say the least.

VanCamp, whose credits include 'Everwood,' is filming the 'Let Them Shine' teacher drama for CBS's Hallmark Hall of Fame movie series, according to the network.

In addition to Lowe's and VanCamp's departure, Luke Grimes, who plays Walker half-brother Ryan Lafferty, is also leaving.

Joan

Very sad to see her go. I could not wait for the new season because of the "Rebecca and Justin" romance. It was adorable. This years series has been disappointing to me. Every week another stupid script. Last week when you though Justin was beginning another possible relationship, they add a stupid old romance and the relationship is over. Last week was totally bizarr!!!!!!! Unless they bring in better characters and more interesting story lines this will be their last season!!!

January 22 2011 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Okay now I'm annoyed I can't believe Emily VanCamp is leaving, she is great and I love her she is a great actoress they would make there money so why are they letting her go? I also didn't know rob lowe had left as yet as we are only up to season 4 ending.... Not happy hopefully still as good as the First 4 seasons!!!!

September 19 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri

BIG, BIG MISTAKE for them to let her go. I loved her and Dave Anable together, it cemented the two often hating families of Nora vs. Holly. Geez just when you can really sit down and watch a program that you love, weekly, they go screwing it up. Losing Rob was bad enough, Luke not so much, he wasn't really there much (and I never really liked his character), but Emily too??? I don't know, might have to start watching something else if it starts off bad...

August 15 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Terri's comment
Fishgirl

She and Dave did make a great couple in the story. It sounded to me like she COULD have stayed, but decided not too. She did mention, it was a big risk.

May 02 2011 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ

What the ?? You seem to underappreciate being alive b/c of Bush.

August 15 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ

I enjoy the Ojai story line with the newly found mega water reserve. I Do not watch when things bother me like the gay suck face, I flip channels. What will Holly do for a daughter, will she hire a new one? ABC seems to be a pitchman for the gay lifestyle. If one doesn't want to watch, flip over to pbs or some other interesting entertainment.

August 15 2010 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony C

I can understand cutting Bathalzar Getty and Rob Lowe -- those are name brand actors that come with name brand price tags... But Emily VanCamp? This is her break out acting role and I've loved her for it -- she's a relative newcomer to the TV scene. Must be a case of keeping the more expensive talent and writers happy by having fewer characters to work into the script. Boo.

July 07 2010 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

They should have just canceled the show last season. It doesn't seem like it has a chance in hell now anyway.

July 01 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Soon there will be nothing to watch on TV anymore. It's very sad as to what Bush did to this country, and now TV shows are getting canceled left and right because of the economy and budget cuts. Where will the joy be of just relaxing and watching a good TV show?

July 01 2010 at 3:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melissa's comment
Fishgirl

Bush did it?? I've heard everything now! The reason the networks are cutting big salaries is because Americans will watch reality shows 24-7. There are no actors to pay. The so called 'stars' of reality shows work for chump change compared to an actor salary. REALITY TV is to blame for the demise of good TV entertainment.

May 02 2011 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

you guys! ABC cancelled boston legal! they are not big on making sense! it was a GREAT show it had the wealthiest of audiences it was FUNNY!.i also enjoy Brother's ans Sisters maybe because i don't have any but all the actors are great and it's a good show! i'll miss both rebecca and mcalister

July 01 2010 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mark's comment
Tony C

Boston Legal was cancelled because it was too expensive for ABC to keep paying for even after notable talent cuts over the seasons and just couldn't be sustained. Production by a rival studio (Fox), run by a notoriously difficult and pricey creator (David E Kelley) and expensive acting talent in spades (headliners James Spader, William Shatner, Candice Bergen and to a lesser degree, secondaries John Larroquette, Mark Valley, Julie Bowen, Monica Potter, Rhona Mitra among others).

July 07 2010 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherr

Wow...what a hateful moron you are.

July 01 2010 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply