April 20, 2014

Starz Cancels 'Party Down,' 'Gravity'

by Andrew Scott, posted Jun 30th 2010 2:10PM
Party DownThe party is officially over for 'Party Down.'

According to the Ausiello Files, Starz has pulled the plug on the critically acclaimed but low-rated sophomore comedy series, about a bunch of Hollywood wannabes who work as waiters.

The show, from creators John Enbom, Rob Thomas, Dan Etheridge and Paul Rudd, featured a wide range of talented actors, including Adam Scott, Megan Mullally and Jane Lynch, who left the show after season 1 due to her commitment to 'Glee.'

Meanwhile, Starz has also canceled 'Gravity,' a dramedy about a group of suicide survivors.

"We're grateful to everyone involved in the shows, and are proud to have had them on the channel. Starz remains committed to aggressively expanding our original programming lineup," Stephan Shelanski, executive vice president of programming for Starz Entertainment, said in a statement.

Both 'Party Down' and 'Gravity' struggled in the ratings this season -- 'Gravity' in particular, which drew an audience of just 123,000 for its debut episode in April.

RELATED: Co-Creator Rob Thomas, Famous Fans React to 'Party Down' Cancellation

Nate

I enjoyed watching some episodes of "Gravity" but it was not better then StarZ's "Camelot" or "Spartacus" but a co-worker at DISH told me that you can watch previous episodes Spartacus online and Camelot on DISH online. DISH online is the only videos portal to offer over 150,000 popular movies, TV shows, trailers, and clips into one easy interface. Check this out http://bit.ly/dJzWgo.

June 17 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

I didn't get into either show but I like spartacus.I'm more action oriented than comedy

July 05 2010 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

Party Down. Low ratings + some of the cast unavailable for a third season. Probably not economically sensible to keep it going. Still, a good 20 (or so) episode run.

By the way, I don't have Starz. I caught the entire run as an instant download on Netflix.

July 04 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BocaBlonde

Noooo. Party Down was one of the only smart sit-coms on TV. I thought these types of shows were on pay channels so that they could be given a shot to develop. Shame on STARZ. It was the only reason I even had that channel.

July 01 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donalee

never heard of it.

July 01 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r wilson

They'd rather keep crap reality shows on and dump something original, viewers are just as much to blame for watching the brain dead programs the studios are putting out.

July 01 2010 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alli

I LOVED PARTY DOWN! I just found it this season, and went back and watched last season on Netflix!!!

July 01 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply