December 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

The 'America's Got Talent' Crowd Is Stunned by a Shy Singer (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Jun 30th 2010 1:35AM
The 'America's Got Talent' Crowd Is Stunned by a Shy SingerWhat would you do if you had real talent? Would you hide it? Or would you let it shine?

[Spoiler alert.]

Singer Carlos Aponte arrived on the stage of 'America's Got Talent' (Tue., 9PM ET on NBC). He was from Puerto Rico and declared his ambition to become a real-life opera singer. He also stated that he one day wanted to be as famous as Frank Sinatra. But he seemed odd and shy, and nervous. Plus he wasn't super-great at speaking English (not that that matters much). Still, at any rate, the crowd wasn't expecting much from the quirky newcomer. But then ... he started to sing.

Carlos belted out an amazing song, and the crowd was instantly won over. They began swaying their hands in time to the music. And the judges' eyes popped open -- here was a true talent.

Howie Mandel had this to say: "This is my first year on the show. And I thought it would be great to be part of, like, one of those 'moments.' One of those unexpected, fantastic moments.'" He then admitted that hearing Carlos sing was one of those "moments."

Judge Piers Morgan said that Carlos' voice gave him "goosebumps." He then asked if Carlos knew what that meant. In his semi-fractured English, Carlos replied with this statement: "I don't understand you a lot, but I know that is a good comment."

Quite naturally, the judges moved Carlos along to Las Vegas, and the next round of the show.

jmsucro

Why wasn't Carlos put through for our vote. He was the best one out of all the acts I saw. How can you send him home with all the hits on U-tube??? It just isn't fair. Please reconsider. He definitely could win the $1,000,000. Please call him back.

July 14 2010 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolly

I couldnt believe that Carlos didnt make it to the finals!!!
Then....An air band,a crazy women singing,Miss Catwomen(beautiful of course, not million dollar talents..INCREDIBLE!!

July 13 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon A. Brown

This is one that I was sure would get through. He was fabulous. He could stun the audience with his innocent look and then WOW them with his voice. I hope he doesn't give up on his singing career.

July 13 2010 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mari

I think it was unfair that they sent the other three people that had no talent at all!! Carlos Aponte that had talent should have went to holly wood!! What's wrong with those judges, are they feeling ok to be voting on people who don't have talent like carlos??? well, what ever, GO CARLOS APONTE,YOU CAN DO IT!!!

July 09 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth Torres

Carlos is amazing, what a voice, i didn"t agree with
howie mandel. Carlos Aponte has talent he should have been in the top 48. He is the best, I use to be howie mandel fan for over 25 yrs not any more
Carlos Im your fan now.

July 08 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Antl

When singers say that "music is my life," why don't the "judges" ask a simple question, i.e, "what have you done to improve your talent? I'm appalled by the bad breathing (airy voices), not using dipthongs correctly, and a total lack of knowledge of music theory. If this is one's life, one would take vocal lessons and study music theory and do what it takes to IMPROVE their talent.

July 08 2010 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greycha

i am very disapointed he did not make it to the 48 i think he has more talent then some other people that are still on the show.

July 07 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrea adams

I just saw the results. WHAT HAPPENED TO CARLOS APONTE? Has everyone gone mad? You put through hand whistlers, grandmothers that look like Elvis and have no singing voice, children that rap - big deal. SO WHAT HAPPENED TO CARLOS APONTE? It WAS a Susan Boyle moment as one of the posts wrote. I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! He has a beautiful voice, can really sing. I didn't realize you had to be outlandish, looking like you rolled out of bed, have minimal talent in order to "make it" on the show. I hope a person of influence saw him and that he will make it, regardless of the show.

July 06 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to andrea adams's comment
jmsucro

What must we do to get back Carlos??? he was the best and I want to see more of him. Can we all get together and keep writing to America Got Talent to get him back. He definitely is another Susan Boyle. Please tell us all what to do???

July 14 2010 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SvensKenR

He MUST have been good for Piers Morgan to unbend. I still haven't forgotten how he developed an animus against the "Quick-Change" act a year or two ago by a very talented couple. He just went after them and said their act was nothing special - talk about not being able to do it yourself!!

July 05 2010 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply