September 1, 2014

Pilot Watch: 'Mike & Molly'

by Joel Keller, posted Jul 1st 2010 10:15AM
Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy in 'Mike & Molly' on CBSFrom now through the end of July, we're going to be taking a quick look at the fall and mid-season pilots that the networks sent to critics after their upfront presentations.

Keep in mind that in each case, our opinions are based on a pilot that could be completely recast and reworked between now and the fall.

Show: 'Mike & Molly'
Network: CBS
Timeslot: Mondays, 9:30PM ET

The lowdown: Mike Biggs (Billy Gardell) is a Chicago cop who's desperate to lose weight, not only to stay healthy but also because he's lonely and wants a better shot at meeting someone special. When he goes to an OA meeting, he meets Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), a sweet schoolteacher whose late father had size issues but who now has to contend with her skinny and clueless mother Joyce (Swoozie Kurtz) and sister Victoria (Katy Mixon). Can Mike and Molly negotiate a long-lasting relationship while battling their weight at the same time?

What we're saying
: CBS has again invested in hit-maker Chuck Lorre, and with his co-executive producer, Mark Roberts, he gives us a sweet, meet-cute story that we don't usually see on TV (well, we see it, but usually with much younger and thinner lovebirds). Both Gardell, a longtime supporting player finally getting his chance to star in a show, and McCarthy, who has already shown her comedic chops on 'Gilmore Girls' and 'Samantha Who?', are charming and fun to watch.

Of course, this being a Lorre production, sweet and charming usually also comes with a layer of lowbrow. And in this case, it feels like the target -- obese people -- is just too damn easy. Most of the dumber jokes come from Mike's partner Carl (Reno Wilson), where he pokes fun of Mike's girth, his diet, and yells at two OA members who clog his path down a flight of stairs. There's nothing wrong at using the stars' girth as a source of humor, but there's got to be a way to do it that's more sophisticated than fat jokes and collapsing furniture.

Here's a preview:

Tell us what you think. Does Chuck Lorre have another hit on his hands?

Jennifer

Raising Hope doesn't look that great. Wasn't impressed when the baby went flying in the back seat.

July 14 2010 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Doesn't look to bad. I'll check it out.

July 14 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radiant

I will be watching all the comedies and the new Hawaii Five-0 on Monday nights on CBS.

July 14 2010 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
margie

The show looks funny and the leads are likeable. One thing that bothered me was when Mike's partner, Carl, used the Lord's name in vain. Can't writers find a more creative way of having a character express surprise? If not, I won't be watching!

July 13 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty Sullivan

I'm very interested in catching this one... I am actually a member of OA and I hope that you portray this wonderful program in a positive manner.

July 05 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

After looking at the preview my first thought is, "Hmm." Not bad (Lord knows I've seen worse - we all have) but it's not making me mark my calendar for the premiere date either. But then again I'm not a big sit-com fan in general these days. I'm guess I'm on the fence with this one. I'll have to put it on my "wait and see" list.

July 01 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

this looks great! i'll definitely watch.

July 01 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Swing and a miss, Chuck. I think CBS would write a check for anything he did right now, but this just doesn't look funny at all.

July 01 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply