September 21, 2014

TV's Six Most Annoying Talk Show Hosts

by Allison Waldman, posted Jul 1st 2010 12:00PM
larry_king_cnn_deskTwo recent news items got us thinking about TV's most annoying talk show hosts. First, Larry King announced his exit from 'Larry King Live' this fall, although he will continue doing specials. Second, Showtime is reportedly interested in Stephen A. Smith. They want the basketball reporter and New York radio jock-talker to host a late night talk show.

Smith, who has already failed with a chat show on ESPN, is not a good candidate as a host because he's a grating personality. So are these people who we think about the six most annoying talk show hosts. Here's who made the list and the why ...

1. Larry King, 'Larry King Live' -- There was a time when Larry's shtick worked. That would have been in the first ten years on CNN, maybe even up to the turn of the century. But since 2000, Larry's become more annoying than insightful. His gravelly voice and old-timey reporter spiel has not aged well. This was the right time to leave, before they fired him.

andy_cohen_bravo_watch_what_happens2. Andy Cohen, 'Watch What Happens: Live' -- If Andy Cohen wasn't the Senior Vice President of Production and Programming for Bravo, he would never be the host of the network's only talk show. It's not just that he's a horrible interviewer, he's smarmy and a kiss-ass. He loves all the guests because most are Bravo personalities! His style is to be a goofy, regular guy just gushing about celebs ... no make that pseudo-celebs.

bob_costas_baseball_mlb3. Joy Behar, 'The Joy Behar Show' -- Joy is a comedian and she's in her element on 'The View' because she can add a comment or zinger while the other ladies are yapping. On her HLN talk show, Joy is just too aggressive and in your face -- and that's annoying. Of course, that's the style of HLN in general, so they probably encourage her to be a nagging shrew.

4. Bob Costas, 'MLB Network Studio 42' -- Nobody likes a know-it-all, and Costas thrives on being the smartest kid in the class. He always has, but it's more annoying when it comes to baseball because Bob thinks he should be running the game and making every decision about how to honor the game. As an interviewer with baseball greats, like Willie Mays, Bob was telling Willie more about his life than Mays revealing his memories of the past. Here's a clip of Costas at his most stuck-up:

5. Jonathan Ross, 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' -- Maybe it's a cultural thing, but Ross is the top talk show host in England and BBC America has been broadcasting his show here in the States. It's awful. He's so over the top and unctuous with the stars who are there to promote their latest film/record/whatever that you cringe while watching. Somehow this man has won every big award in the UK. Go figure! Watch him with three of the stars from 'Glee':

james_lipton_inside_the_actors_studio6. James Lipton, 'Inside the Actor's Studio' -- You know what we said earlier about know-it-all's? Well, Lipton is very much one. He does incredible research on his subjects and can ask the most arcane questions ... and that can be very irritating. His show is overall very good, but Lipton is often too serious and pompous for his own good.

Which talk show hosts get on your nerves?

C S Buck

Joy Behar, Nancy Grace, Oprah, Rosie O.

August 04 2012 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Wow! I don't think I would have picked any of these for bottom six. The only thing I watch on Bravo is the Actor's Studio and I only get that channel for this show. Maybe I have it wrong, but I think of James Lipton as maybe the head of the acting school or maybe the professor who teaches acting to the students. He's even better than that on the show, because he does such a thorough research into his guest's lives that I have seen guests who appear to be genuinely surprised that he has managed to dig into their pasts as well as he does. I also love the question and answer segments that allow me a peek at how the actors think about their art. I also think that Mr. Lipton is appropriately humble as he asks his questions and doesn't try to appear as anything but a knowledgeable fan.

I've never watched Jonathon Ross before, but the video you provided was quite entertaining. I would definitely watch him again.

Larry King is simply getting old and should have retired by now. Have you never heard of grumpy old men? We do tend to let the little annoyances of life get to us by that age, but prior to this article, the last critique I heard about Larry King was that he was too soft on his guests and steered away from questions that might cause the guest to be embarrassed. I first heard him on radio in the mid 80's and I also heard Sally Jessy Raphael at the same time and visualized them as very handsome and tall for him and cute and pleasingly plump for her (that was my taste in women and admit that I had a crush going). Seeing them in person ruined my imaginative view of them, but I still liked their styles. It doesn't seem that long ago that women would come on to Larry on the show and he dated some knock-outs. If he is getting coarser in his old age, he has earned it and he should be receiving our thanks for the entertainment he has given us over the years. I don't really have an opinion about the others, but I think there are worst talk show hosts than these.

August 24 2010 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThaMainOne

larry king has always been boring and he's from a hate group. he under speak things on his show to be said in a slick way assuming no1 will understand him and i wish i could call and curse him out on live tv every time he do it.CNN should be ashame for having such a boring person. and another one thats not to far from him is NACY HICK RACSIT GRACE she need to be fired. she is no good at all

August 21 2010 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
william j.yurek

Hasselbeck-Most Annoying and obnoxious
Nancy Grace-Best Dramatic and Phony
Jimmy Fallon-Most unfunny and boring
Oprah Winfrey-Biggest Hypocrite on the face of the earth.

July 12 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Min

THE most annoying ever is Oprah. Too many people have drunk her self important and home spun kool-aid. Amazing how many gullible people have bought into her tripe.

Dr. Phil and Nancy Grace are right behind her. They are almost as bad.

I anxiously await the day when Oprah is no longer polluting the airwaves and retires somewhere to just play with her money and her dogs.

July 08 2010 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is beautiful, UNTIL she opens her mouth. She is absolutely the most annoying, irratating woman I have ever seen on television. That is the only reason she as been asked to join a network full of annoying men. They want to see who will get the prize for this behavior. What bothers me most, as a Christian person, is that these people, all carry a banner claiming Conservative Christian values, when in fact, NONE of them behave like Christians. Jesus didn't teach us to condemn others, but to love them, no matter who they are or what they do. Elizabeth isn't a "conservative", she is a person with NO VALUES, and needs to propel herself by condemning others, who are more "Christian" than she will ever be. She is like those I watch attend church, then go out and get drunk, cheat, turn their noses up at the poor,and NEVER help the less fortunate among us. The entire Republican Party uses "conservative" labels to try to justify their greed and refusal to help their fellow human beings. Joblessness, hunger, poor health, and homelessness of our citizens are not the result of being "liberal", or of being "lazy", they are the result of the GREED of the so called Christian Conservatives. The ranting of these talk show hosts to the contrary, is what is most annoying to watch on tv. Jealous? NEVER! I pity her, Glen Beck, and the others like them. They should hope God feels the same way.

July 08 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Anne's comment
melindallas

I agree whole-heartedly! I was raised that the Lord loves all his children, and we are not to sit in judgment on others, as that is the Lord's territory. Yet some (please recognize I said SOME, so don't send hate mail)self-professed christians are very judgmental, and as you pointed out, instead of helping others, they judge them as lazy, or whatever, and don't want to help, because that is socialism. Isn't there something about how we should gauge ourselves as a society, is by how we treat "the least" among us?

July 08 2010 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
allison

Tyra Banks is the MOST annoying!!! We get it. You're a liberal. You support Gays, poor people and you're black. The white concervatives are only guests waiting to be exploited by you for ratings. Having staunch respect for privacy and publicity is wrong and anyone who doesn't see life in the same way as you, Tyra Banks, sees life is wrong.

Please, oh please, give me one show where you don't make me want to say 'i'm sorry you were black, but you made a pretty good go of it so far, so hang in there'

July 08 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melindallas

I like Andy Cohen, too! He is fun and campy, and he doesn't take himself too seriously. I feel like he is playful, and conducts himself and the show as though he is in on the joke.

July 08 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melindallas

Lonnie, Elisabeth Hasselbeck is "one of the most intelligent women in the USA"? Seriously??????? I find when people say that someone is brilliant, or intelligent, or whatever other words, it is because they agree with that persons views. Just because you agree with someone's comments and/or views, doesn't make their comments and/or views correct. There were, and sadly, still are, people who agree with Hitler, and the KKK. That doesn't make Hitler or the KKK correct.

My biggest issue with E.H. is that she is not consistent. I cannot count how many times I have heard her say government needs to stay out of big business and industry, but lately all she does is scream about why the government wasn't exercising more oversite to keep the gulf oil spill from happening. She can't have it both ways. The way she talks, you would think Barack Obama caused the spill, and now is supposed to be some kind of magician, who should be in the gulf, waving a magic wand and fixing the problem. She fails to acknowledge that it was during the Bush/Cheney administration that drilling regulations were eased.

She has such a rabid dislike for our President and Democrats in general, that Obama could make a speech advocating that we all treat each other as we ourselves would like to be treated (Golden Rule), that she would be on TV the next day screaming about it and calling Obama a socialist.

One of the signs of intelligence is having an open mind, and being able to view and argue a position from many different points of view. Elisabeth's mind is slammed closed and one-sided.

July 08 2010 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjcmarik2000

ELIZABETH HASSELBECK!!!! What a twit! Just like Sarah Palin...shouts crap...no facts. Thinks stomping her foot and throwing a temper tantrum will make her point seem right. She can not listen or learn from anyone. Closed minded and plain annoying!!!!

July 08 2010 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply