September 20, 2014

Is Season Five the Last for 'Brothers & Sisters'?

by Rich Keller, posted Jul 7th 2010 10:30PM
Will season five be the last for 'Brothers & Sisters?' The rumor mill certainly believes so.For four years, the Walker family of 'Brothers & Sisters' has endured numerous trials and tribulations: The unexpected death of father William, affairs, drug addiction, divorce and jarring family secrets. Now, as the show preps for its fifth season, there may be one additional trial they'll go through: the end of their series.

Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello reports that rumors are growing that the next season will be the last for this ABC drama. A few factors are fueling this speculation. First, the episode order was reduced from the standard 22 to just 18. Second, two of the show's major players -- Rob Lowe and Emily VanCamp -- will not be returning.

This is all news to executive producer David Marshall Grant, who says the show isn't on life support quite yet. In an interview with Ausiello, Grant says he isn't setting up the fifth season of 'Brothers & Sisters' to be a bookend. Hence, the reason he decided to time-jump the series one year when it returns in September. Grant says moving the show ahead 12 months will open up new stories that will keep it going for years.

So, is the reduced episode order a confirmation that ABC is no longer interested in 'Brothers & Sisters' or possibly just a message that the network is in a holding pattern until they see if the One Year Later plan works for Grant?

Would you be disappointed if the series does close at the end of season 5 or do you think it has run its course?

jkelly46

I love this show!!! This season is even better than the last!!!!
There is not too much out there in 'TV Land" anymore............

May 16 2011 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

I HOPE NOT, I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 16 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

ARE YOU CRAZY CANCELLING "BROTHERS & SISTERS?!?!?!?!?!"

May 16 2011 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
callahansarajane

B&S is such a relaxing show it is real nothing with a lot of shooting involved in the story. It is a time when I have a cup of tea and relax for the evening before bedtime. Please continue the show.

May 16 2011 at 7:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
constancemj4

OMG you can't cancel B & S... It is so entertaining. Love Sally Field, she is so awesome, as the Mom. This is more a real life story, how Mom always gets into her children, but not so bad thay they can't stand her. A concerned Mom who loves her children. A family story when they are all there to help in time of need as brothers & sisters. I think it is so funny sometimes. They always work things out between and are a real family. Maybe it could rub off on some people in the audience. Watch It !!!!!! Its Great........ It has a good story. There are tooooooo many killing shows on T.V. & stupid reality shows. Enough....... Watch it you'll love it........YOU CAN'T CANCEL IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 14 2011 at 5:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Eleanor

PLEASE DON'T CANCEL BROTHER'S & SISTER'S . ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON TV.
I just can't believe what the Networks are doing to all the shows. Brothers & sisters is an enjoyable show without all the killings & bloody scenes. It seems the net works only want shows that the under 40/50 year olds like. Nothing left for the older generation that has supporeted all the sponsors for years and were faithful to the shows. Now all the nets want are stupid reality shows that most of us "over 50" can do without. Guess I'll cancell my cable and just watch the old standby's on VHS or DVD. Now no commericials and no sponsors to watch so I won't know the new products and I will be saving lots of money by not buying them. Goodbye cable and Hello the library or the flea market movies for a buck. BACK TO BASICS. I wonder what's next? SVU, Criminal Minds, Des. Housewives, Grey's, Private Practice, How about the Baseball World series is that on the list too? Or maybe the PGA tour that we love to watch is on the chopping block too..I could say more but you get what I mean. The Walker Family is right up there with the Bunkers, Ricardo's, Hulksables, The Ewings and more. TRIM THE FAT ON THE EXEC LEVEL TO SAVE THE SHOW AND KILL THE BIG FAT BONUS THEY GET........

May 14 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Heather Dun

Lois I completely agree with every word you have said!!!!! I can't believe All My Children is being cancelled Nd now to hear about Brothers and Sister's. What are you, ABC, thinking? Please be sure you have done the right audience poll on what people like. I have also watched B&S since the beginning and feel apart of the family. I love the disfunction too! Keep B&S!

May 10 2011 at 12:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
scarlett1548

PLEASE ABC what are you trying to do with your channel???? First it starts with taking off All My Children, One Life To Live & Now you want to take Brother's & Sisater's away also? What is wrong with this picture & ABC's writers?
This happens to be one of The BEST Shows i have seen in along time, why would you yank it off the air? PLEASE Don't take this away along with your other shows.. We need normalacy, even in a dysfunctional family as the Walker's..I have watched this show from day 1 & i can honestly say I Love The Walker Family, it's like your part of them..Who decides to make these changes in a TV series? Soon ABC will no longer be on the air, since taking all the good shows off!!!!! No One will watch your channel anymore, which used to be the best channel on tv.
Everything now is a reality show, so sick of them....We want honest to goodness shows that bring out our emotions in real life situations...Not that Junk that u want to axe this show for.!!!!PLEASE reconsider your desicion & DON'T take this off the air...PLEASE!!!!!!

May 06 2011 at 8:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cin24k

Please don't cancel brother and sisters,its the best show out on Sunday nights. I have watched the show from the very 1st. I cry and laugh with them. They make you feel like part of the family

May 06 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
klr447

Please do not cancel. It is my favorite show on TV this year--it's so much like real family.

May 06 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply