October 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Whoopi Goldberg Defends Mel Gibson's Racist Rant (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted Jul 12th 2010 12:00PM
We're no experts, but we think Whoopi Goldberg could probably find a better cause to take up than the defense of Mel Gibson, who was recently caught on tape spouting racial slurs during an argument with estranged girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva.

On 'The View' (weekdays, syndicated), Goldberg vehemently defended Gibson, arguing that she knows the actor personally and doesn't think he's a racist.

"I don't like what he did here. But, I know Mel and I know he's not a racist," Goldberg said.

"Well, that language certainly sounds racist to me," Joy Behar countered.

"I can't sit and say that he's a racist, having spent time with him in my house with my kids," Goldberg replied. "I can't say it."

kathi

Mel was pissed, we have all been pissed one time or another and we say stupid things...she probably pushed his buttons,all she wants is his money...another gold digger!..forgive yourself Mel...you were mad...the only difference with this is Mel is in the public eye, she let those tapes go to ruin him because she is a b...!!!

July 14 2010 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanne

This man has come unglued. He needs HELP big time. His career is probably over.

July 13 2010 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lulu

Whoopi Goldberg also defended Michael Vicks over the dogfighting. I cant stand her. Acts like she thinks she is superior to everyone. I dont care what she thinks.

July 13 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lcampb0353

I think Whoopi is courageous. I do not like what Mel Gibson said or did, but I don't know him. I applaud Whoopi for saying out loud what she knows he is NOT from her own experience, especially since she is in the same industry. Mel Gibson is not the first or last person to say and do REALLY ugly things during a break-up or divorce, especially when children are involved... We saw it with Alec Baldwin, etc etc. Do we really want to judge a person based on one part of one telephone call? Sorry, I've been through it and I couldn't believe how ugly it got...and I didn't have money, children, fame, etc. I do think he has a lot of issues, but if Whoopi says he is not a racist, I believe her.

July 13 2010 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gayle

Whoopi is a moron. Mel Gibson is a racist plan and simple.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle stress and what is said during a stressful confrontation.
Also Liquor is a truth serom. Get a person drunk and you will see their true colors.

July 13 2010 at 4:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
golden

I am an African American woman who is personally disgusted with this woman. Because she knows someone that means that everything they are a good person. My god. She is an idiot.

July 12 2010 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to golden's comment
Jack

Agreed. "Hoopy" better go find a better cause, of which there are plenty, especially for an African-American woman like she ... Having that guy in your house doesn't translate into non-racism and must not block ya thinking ...

July 12 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply