October 22, 2014

Sela Ward to Replace Melina Kanakaredes on 'CSI: NY'

by Chris Harnick, posted Jul 13th 2010 1:30PM
Sela WardWelcome back to primetime, Sela Ward!

Yes, after resurfacing on 'House' for a handful of episodes, Ward has signed on the dotted line to replace departing series star Melina Kanakaredes in 'CSI: NY,' according to Ausiello Files.

CBS described her character as an empathetic and experienced investigator from Washington.

"We are delighted to have Sela joining 'CSI: NY,'" said 'CSI: NY' executive producer Pam Veasey in a statement. "With the exciting stories planned for Season 7, she'll be a dynamic addition to the cast and the team."

"I am thrilled to be working with Gary [Sinise] and this terrific group of people," Ward, who will make her debut in the show's season 7 premiere this fall, said in a statement. "I'm a huge fan."

Ward is best known for her Emmy-winning performances on acclaimed dramas 'Once and Again' and 'Sisters.' In 2009 she appeared in the 'The Stepfather' with Dylan Walsh and Penn Badgley.

Kanakaredes' departure is just one of many in a string of changes for CBS's crime dramas. Since the season ended, three mainstay CBS dramas said goodbye to stars.

"I made some amazing and lifelong friendships during my six seasons on 'CSI: NY,' and I will treasure them forever," Kanakaredes said in a statement yesterday.

CBS added, "We hoped Melina would return to 'CSI: NY' for another season, but we respect her decision to move on. Her amazing talent and invaluable contribution to the success of the series are greatly appreciated and will not be forgotten. She will forever remain a friend to the network and studio, and we wish her the very best."

For more on Kanakarades' departure and that of her CBS colleagues, check out our coverage here.

'CSI: NY' returns Fridays this fall at 9PM ET on CBS.

Tell us: Are you looking forward to Sela Ward on 'CSI: NY'?

mouse

Can't STAND Sela Ward!! She's a horrible replacement for Melina Kanakaredes!! Hate her as an actress, hate her bossy charactor!! Hope they dump her at the end of the season!!

December 10 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I just hope Sela Ward can step away from her bedroom voice to sound like she is more than a sex object. Doesn't seem very realistic to have a crime scene officer talking like she is in the throes of seduction. Use a real voice, Sela!

August 25 2010 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michele

Sela Ward has gained weight to hide her wrinkles from getting older. The only parts she's played in anything are slutty female roles, she can't possibly take the place of Kanakaredes who is a wholesome character. Not only that but she doesn't fit well with Gary either, he is kind of into Melina but Sela? Just not his type! I loved that show and now it's going to die off.

July 16 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

They are both good actresses and I'm glad it is moving to Friday as there is nothing on Friday nights to watch!

July 14 2010 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deemoe

With this news of Melina Kanakaredes leaving "CSI: NY" and it going to Friday nights, I wonder how long it has? JJ Cook gone, Peget Brewster gone, As The World Turns going--CBS, you on a roll!

July 14 2010 at 5:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mini-mee

Watch Miami can't stand Las Vegas, haven't watch since grissum gone. NY was good, but now will not be watching NY. Fishburn is blahh. have no interest in Watching again. So Miami it will be! Thank goodness for CSI Los Angeles and NCIS. They're the best! Hate to have changes made with their cast.

July 14 2010 at 2:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

Gary and Melina were my only reasons for watching with her leaving I guess I will stop watching ughhhhhhhh. TV is getting so bad. Seasons are shorter and reruns are everywhere.

July 14 2010 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belinda

The show will never be the same, I love her, She is great at the role she plays. I will miss her very much. I won't be happy but I still will watch the show.

July 14 2010 at 12:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathi

I'm sorry to see another fine actress leaving CBS. First it's JJ Cook and Peget Brewster now Melina Kanakaredes. Sela Ward is a good performer,But CBS seems to only want to replace good female leads to make up their money short comings, BAD BAD IDEA

July 14 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
danny

No not Sela Ward. Please CBS, anyone but Sela Ward. She's not a very good actress! She almost ruined House for me!

July 13 2010 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply