September 30, 2014

What's Your 'Laundry Show'?

by Kelly Woo, posted Jul 14th 2010 6:30PM
White CollarEveryone's got a "laundry show" -- you know, that show you half-watch while doing the laundry, ironing, dusting, sorting socks, polishing the silverware, trying in vain to fold a fitted sheet, etc.

It's that show that doesn't need your full, rapt attention for whatever reason. Maybe you only watch for a few funny lines. Or there's a character you like but you tune out when they're not on screen. As Chris Harnick noted about 'White Collar' last night, "I was entertained by it, but there wasn't enough to keep me tethered to the couch."

Sadly, for me, 'The Office' has become a laundry show. This past season was often mediocre, and I found my attention wandering during episodes -- to the point where I'd peruse my issue of Time Out New York to look for fun stuff to do over the weekend.

So, I polled the TV Squad team to see which shows they watch while doing housework (we disallowed reality TV shows since they're sort of built to be that way). Find out what they named as their "laundry shows" ...

At least for the last couple of years, I've basically had 'Two and a Half Men' on in the background, either because nothing else was on or I was waiting for 'The Big Bang Theory.' You don't have to be paying full attention to know that they're going to make jokes about Charlie's drinking and carousing, Alan's anal retentiveness and loneliness, and the kid's stupidity. Throw in a few bodily function jokes and you pretty much have the formula down pat. -- Joel Keller

'Gossip Girl' -- once a must-watch for fashion and scandalous fun -- quickly became laundry TV for me last season. I wasn't bored enough to totally cancel my season pass, but I also could go 10-minute stretches without ever looking up at the screen. Not a good sign ... -- Maggie Furlong

During the second half of the first season of 'Glee' when the plots became very thin and the show became more about the music, I would browse the Internet like a fiend, catching up with friends and any pop culture hilarity I missed during the week. -- Chris Harnick

Mine is 'Entourage.' It's basically the same episode over and over again at this point, but I watch on Sunday nights while I'm making a to-do list for the week ahead, while listening for the occasional great Ari rant or Johnny Drama scheme to get a job. -- Kim Potts

The storylines on 'Law and Order: SVU' are so contrived sometimes, it's hard to believe they are ripped out of headlines. I find its best to keep the show on as white noise such that when really crazy scenes or "serious" lines are performed by newbie (read: bad) actors -- it ends up being very comical. -- Elizabeth Chan

I'm fascinated by the sparkly eyeshadow that Jennifer Love Hewitt wears in 'The Ghost Whisperer.' So I distract myself from the fact that every episode is essentially the same by dusting the house and occasionally glance up at the screen to check it out. -- Jenna Busch

Reruns of 'The Simpsons'; it's the voices that make the show. I've seen 'em a million times and there's just something comforting about hearing a family bickering in the background. -- Mike Maloney

I prefer to watch old episodes of 'Roseanne' on any of the 70 networks currently airing the show in syndication. I find that the show's authentic portrayal of white trash living makes me do a lot less housework, because let's face it, we should all be taking our domestic cues from Roseanne. -- Ryan Vaughan

Tell us: What's your laundry show?

Gina

If I turn on the tv I watch what I put on. If I really can't find something worth watching I turn it off.

July 15 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepassenger

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't have a laundry show. I either watch TV, or I don't. I find it much easier to fold my laundry while standing next to my bed, and there's no TV in our bedroom.

July 15 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary_the_no_trash_cougar

American Idol

July 15 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I tend to switch up my laundry shows based on what's in season. This year's have included "Breaking Bad" season one (which I now give my full attention), "Men of a Certain Age," "Parenthood," and now "Life Unexpected." For the most part, they're quality shows, if slow-moving, so I don't miss anything if I'm out of the room for a minute or two.

July 15 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

"NCIS." What Jaerisk said about "Bones" pretty much sums it up for this show too. I usually have the cable run repeats on while I'm reading, paying bills, surfing the Web, etc. But there are several shows like that for me. I think the list for "must see TV" - as in, it has my complete undivided attention from beginning credits to end credits - is the shorter list. Sad. I remember a time when pretty much every night of TV was like that for me. I think we may have a lot more choices of what to watch these days but, sadly, a lot less quality in what there is to watch. :(

July 15 2010 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaerisk

My laundry show is Bones. As long as you see the beginning and end of the ep., you're up to date with any character development or goings on.

July 15 2010 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shuter

As there were a time when people used to spend their long time for movies as Now the technology has completely changed the meaning of life as now everything can be enjoyed online.Fan group of TV Shows can watch TV Show Online with best quality of video and very high buffering speed.

July 15 2010 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

The better question is, which show isn't a laundry show. There are very few shows that I sit down for. True Blood, 30 Rock, Lost (a tear), and Weeds. I can't sit still for any other show.

July 15 2010 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The Vampire Diaries when my wife wants to watch it. I get a lot of emailing done. I've found Mythbusters is very good to cook dinner to, provided you have the remote on you so you can pause it when you need to watch it closely.

July 14 2010 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I listent to podcasts while doing work. When I watch TV I usually watch it. Although I found V so horrible I would often surf the web while half paying attention. For some reason I felt like I owed giving it some time to develop but I think I have already given it too much time.

July 14 2010 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply