July 31, 2014

NBC, CBS Reject Controversial Ad

by Chris Jordan, posted Jul 15th 2010 9:00AM
NBC and CBS have rejected a commercial that criticizes the building of a controversial mosque near Ground Zero in New York City, according to a report in the Hollywood Reporter.

The spot, sponsored by the National Republican Trust PAC, says the mosque would be denigrating to the victims of 9-11.

"To celebrate that murder of 3,000 Americans, they want to build a monstrous 13-story mosque at Ground Zero," says the narrator in the spot while images of 9-11 are shown. "This ground is sacred, where we weep, they rejoice ... that mosque is a monument to their victory."
NBC rejected the ad because the spots associates the 9-11 terrorists with the group building the mosque.

"This ad which ambiguously defines 'they' as referenced in the spot makes it unclear as to whether the reference is to terrorists or to the Islamic religious organization that is sponsoring the building of the mosque," said NBC Universal advertising standards manager Jennifer Riley.

ABC and Fox said the ad had not been submitted to them, according to the report.

The issue is fast becoming a hot topic in New York City and is being contended largely along political line with Republicans against the mosque and Democrats for the right of the Muslim group to build it, according to a report from the city's WPIX.

In question now is whether the building that presently stands on the site of where the mosque is to be built qualifies for landmark status.

National Republican Trust PAC commercial

Todd

Well it is a free society and as such, I hope someone buys the land near it and builds a gay muslim dance club near this mosque. Or a resturant that servers, pork. And alot of it. What about an abortion clinic right next to it or even a massive synogaue? Wonder how long that famous muslim tolerance would last then? I am betting about, 5 minutes.

August 10 2010 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nissa

Coming from a country which has gone much further down the path of Muslim apologist measures...

Saying something "discriminatory" about Islamic people in public (in the loosest of senses) can get you a jail sentence of up to 18 months while Muslims openly attack us and our "bigotry" in the media every single day. Every government and soon every private organization will be obliged to hire at least 15% specifically Muslim personnel. Hundreds of crimes committed by Islamic people in every major city are actively being overlooked just to get some "pc" crime statistics at the end of the year (if a higher percentage of crimes were shown to be committed by non-locals our police officers would get fined for being racist). Our schools don't serve non-halal food anymore. The small community of Jews we have over here has been forced to send their kids to a former prison (including barbed wire and officers beside every entrance all day, all night) that they turned into a school for them because of the plethora of bomb threats that still go on to this day. Muslim immigrants get about $200 more welfare every month than any other kind of immigrant, or local single mom for that matter (as an apology in advance to the supposed "suffering as a result of discriminatory mindsets" they could come across over here, I kid you not, that is what our law states).

I live in the center of Europe.

Please people, there is a point at which "PC" isn't "PC" anymore. It's abuse. I could not think of any logical reason why that mosque, of ALL places, should be built that close to Ground Zero. Logistics? Heck, even if that was the cause anyone who has a remotely sensible nerve in their body would not suggest that place. I can think of no reason it'd have to be opened on 9/11. Except for one.

Don't let it come that far people. I'd beg you if it'd make a difference.

July 16 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to nissa's comment
Tim Lister

Perhaps it's because people like you blame a billion individuals for the actions of a relatively small group. Even if there were 100,000 Muslim extremists bent on killing you that would still be less than 1% of all Muslims in the world. I'm not a fan of religion, and I think building ANY mosque or church is a waste of time and money, but to single out people like this just encourages more of them to turn their backs on Western society and move into the embrace of extremism. Stop expecting people to be better than you and start worrying about your own inane actions and words.

August 03 2010 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nissa

Tim: Where did I single anyone out? I was merely pointing out that "political correctness" can lead to serious abuse, which is the case in my country. I do not mind Muslim people immigrating here as long as they are peaceful and cooperative, but I do mind when our government gives them a higher legal status to show they are "pro-Muslim". I was just giving some facts here.

As for inane statements, for your sake educate yourself on Muslim culture and religion. No, not the hate sites and redneck Glen Beck groupie blogs. I mean read Muslim forums, read the Qu'ran and the hadeeths they live by. Travel to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. Read Pakistani, Palestine, Turkish news sources (use "google translation" if you need to). I'm sure you'll come to a painful conclusion once you've done those things. And that will not be an inane conclusion. It's common sense. I am not talking about terrorism only, I'm talking about a culture that is raised to spit on everything the West has worked so hard for. Polytheists have always been their enemies as well, apparently, which seems to cause the "Us vs. everyone else" syndrome that is unfortunately still rooted in Muslim culture. I do not blame individuals, because I know they were raised that way (and I truly pity them, especially women and other oppressed groups), just like Christians are raised Christian, Hindu are raised Hindu etc. I blame the institutions, the greed, and the inhumanity of warmongers and ruthless dictators.

August 09 2010 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

I find myself wondering if 9/11 has been perpetrated by Christian terrorists if there would a furor over a church being built? Somehow I doubt it.

July 15 2010 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Loblaw

To the first three comments: Please read the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Now, please read it again. Freedom of Religion isn't only for Christians, it is valid for Muslims too. If you allow the government to infringe on Muslims' rights then don't be shocked when the government moves in on your own religion. AlQaeda, while composed of Muslims, is not a Muslim organization any more than Timothy McVeigh is a representation of Christian right-wing anti-government pro-militia America. There is a huge difference between the Muslim people and Islamic extremists. CBS,NBC, etc have a right to prevent this hate speech on their airwaves every bit as much as Fox News has the right to support the second amendment to extremes and to ignore the first amendment when it fits their political & editorial view. Or, as Glenn Beck likes to quote "First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist"...""Then they came for ME, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

and Jon - your comment is so insensitive that even other Christians (such as myself) criticize it for being too insensitive. Does that make you wrong, or is it anecdotal and nothing more?

July 15 2010 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdclark

All religions have extremists. Christians are no exception. It is un-American to deny freedom of religion to an entire faith because of the actions of a few of its extreme fanatics. Applause to networks who refuse to air overtly bigoted messages. I just wish they were more consistent about this sort of thing.

July 15 2010 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cameron

This is disgusting. I can't believe how many bigots and racists exist in America. God forbid the notion that some Muslims may actually be peaceful. Or the idea that Muslims can be American too.

July 15 2010 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

Why is this a surprise to anyone? NBC, their affiliates (MSNBC, CNBC, etc.) and CBS as well as ABC, CNN and most newspapers have been shilling for the Democrats for years. Maybe Americans are starting to wake up.

July 15 2010 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melanie51's comment
Bozack

As my favorite FCC commissioner, Nick Johnson, always says in reference to claims of a "liberal media":

"Networks are only as liberal as their conservative owners allow them to be."

Who do you think owns those networks that "shill" for Democrats?

July 16 2010 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Why. Does NBC and ABC favor muslims above the AMERICANS that were murder on 9/11? Maybe the American people should boycot nbc, abc.

July 15 2010 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kate's comment
Jimmy_MO

Seriously? That's what you truly think? Sad.

July 15 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

NBC and CBS have just shown where their allegiances lie and it's not with the security of this nation. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf is a vocally anti-Democratic, instead supporting Islam being at the forefront of any government (as many Muslims see as being commanded by the Quran). If this mosque is built then be prepared to see NYC become under 'unofficial' Islamic influence/rule within twenty years. If the extremely anti-Christian Democrats pushing support for this mosque are doing so out of reducing religious influence over "state" then they should wait and see. They're going to have no choice once Islam starts becoming the "state" instead.

BTW, the location of the mosque is even being criticize by other Muslims as being insensitive.

July 15 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply